• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't find my pre pics of the oil pump cover with relief valve. The original was long gone but member Moparparts had a mint one. The original has a part number and a pent star on it. So replaced the relief valve and spring.

The block letters indicate piston bore size and range from A, B, C, D and thanks to bigDA12 for clarifying this. They were painted to the bare block and sprayed over after assembly.

Four speed motors were painted as one unit with the clutch bell housing. The big question here was the fork rod. After reviewing numerous examples and talking to experts out there. There was no consensus as to what was correct. The one thing that stood out the most was that the fork rod got hit with paint. The boot is another debatable area. Some say it was put on when the linkage was installed. While some say it was installed with the clutch unit.

Oil filter...you will notice a fram filter that was used after break in. It was broken in on the dyne with a WIX filter and when the motor got to Dave to run daily on his run stand. The WIX filter was removed and cut open for inspection and the fram was replaced and ran the motor daily.

So you will see a lot of people painting the OE filters with the motor. I believe that is incorrect and from certain experts and including one individual providing a line photo proved that they did not get paint on them. I have yet after 20 plus years to see an original picture or a survivor that never had an oil change(impossible) that shows the latter...Yes, there will be a rare "Green" filter on this motor on soon...Thanks to member Odics for hooking me up with one!

In one of the pics ...Yes, you see a rattle can..Totally Auto's correct engine enamel for 69 440...
IMG_1462.JPG
IMG_1463.JPG
IMG_1464.JPG
IMG_1465.JPG
IMG_1466.JPG

I went Rattle can crazy....Yes, the runs are intentional as they originally had sags and runs. The bottom of the oil pans were bare steel and some got covered better than others. The thermostat housing is the original housing with pm's..

IMG_1467.JPG
IMG_1468.JPG
IMG_1469.JPG
IMG_1470.JPG
IMG_1471.JPG
IMG_1472.JPG
IMG_1473.JPG
IMG_1474.JPG
IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG

All the original pipe plugs I am still waiting on. They are getting zinc plated. The ones on the motor were there for painting purposes. These plugs were installed after the motors were painted originally....The temperature sending unit is an old one. The NOS dated one will be installed later. The factory installed these after the motor was painted as well.

Phew....tired of posting, lol

Last edited:
What's the deal on the pilot bushing; is that a roller bearing, and what's the advantage over the bronze bushing?

img_1370-jpg.jpg

I always thought the blonde was cute.

:rofl: Nice one RC.....was thinking along the same lines myself.
Some awesome detailing there Justin. If you run out of NOS J-11Y's...I have a couple of vintage sets stashed away here. :thumbsup:
Roger

Thank you Sir! Not sure what shipping would be but I would be interested in a set or two....

Great work Justin! I was jonesing for some updates...lol
Chris

lol....I have been jonesing as well....I gave the neighbor's a wonderful aroma in the air yesterday!

Did you ever finish restoring your wiper arms?

Thanks again for the compliment!

this thread is quite educational! thanks for taking the time to post and explain things along the way.
Glenwood,

I appreciate that a lot and glad the information is helpful...There are some not posting or rarely posting in this thread that have been helping me behind the scenes as well. Mainly pertaining to the factory markings and date codes. So I want to pass that credit to them as well! I have pointed out the key individual many times in this thread.

A lot of my comparisons here are new parts that I bought to just compare OE to repop....My previous restoration prompted me to do this and to show they are incorrect as a whole and to use original parts....So what do I do with those repro parts? A deserving member here recently received a nice donation. He just covered shipping but has no idea what was coming, lol....I cannot wait to hear from him!

Justin

I went Rattle can crazy....Yes, the runs are intentional as they originally had sags and runs. The bottom of the oil pans were bare steel and some got covered better than others. The thermostat housing is the original housing with pm's..

View attachment 436671 View attachment 436672 View attachment 436673 View attachment 436674 View attachment 436675 View attachment 436676 View attachment 436677 View attachment 436678 View attachment 436679 View attachment 436680

LOL . . . if the "runs" and "sags" are proof that you're an expert painter, then I'll fit right in . . . I can run that paint, primer, etc. like the best of them . . . which is more than likely why I may have to let someone else paint my car for me . . . ( sigh ) . . .

I've been following this thread . . . great pictures and documenting of your work . . .

LOL . . . if the "runs" and "sags" are proof that you're an expert painter, then I'll fit right in . . . I can run that paint, primer, etc. like the best of them . . . which is more than likely why I may have to let someone else paint my car for me . . . ( sigh ) . . .

I've been following this thread . . . great pictures and documenting of your work . . .
Larry,

That is why I only do OE restorations....I fit in well with the drunk line workers painting back in the day, lol

So "YES" you and me are in the expert category in our minds:thumbsup:

You should have heard the conversation I had with the painter about putting runs, sags, fisheyes, overspray and orange peel on the body....Interesting enough he was 100% receptive and enthused to venture into this area of non normalcy for him.

Thanks for the compliments and I too have been enjoying your build thread!

Justin have followed thread off&on and I just love it. Went thru last 4pages today as a Fathers Day present; thanks from all of us.

Justin have followed thread off&on and I just love it. Went thru last 4pages today as a Fathers Day present; thanks from all of us.
I really appreciate that a lot oldbee! I never caught your name btw and I apologize for that....even though I read a lot of your helpful posts on the forum as well.:thumbsup:

Jeff- a really good day by reading your posts. Thanks again.

Nice progress bud, really enjoy following along. Makes me want to go to the garage and work on mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back