• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel your pain! For the life of me I can't understand why people can't listen and follow through. Not sure if they think we're all dumber than a stump or it's their ego of knowing everything. But like you I've specifically told them exactly what I want, made them repeat it back to me, and then still get messed up stuff back. :soapbox:

I feel your pain! For the life of me I can't understand why people can't listen and follow through. Not sure if they think we're all dumber than a stump or it's their ego of knowing everything. But like you I've specifically told them exactly what I want, made them repeat it back to me, and then still get messed up stuff back. :soapbox:
That is the core thing that pisses me off....also before I sent them back to the first place I asked, "is this something you can do, if not tell me now because it has to be perfect." Yes...we can....lol

Then called twice and spoke to 2 people after it got there and restated what needed to be done....

What more can one do?

Short of watching it all the way through, nothing. Makes a guy want to start drinking!

Yikes, that plain sucks. It is a shame about the bumper guards and I cannot imagine nos pieces come up very often. I hope the pay for their screw up and then some. It will all come together soon enough and all the issues will be long forgotten.

Yikes, that plain sucks. It is a shame about the bumper guards and I cannot imagine nos pieces come up very often. I hope the pay for their screw up and then some. It will all come together soon enough and all the issues will be long forgotten.
Thanks...Mark....You know I cannot even talk to them this week....I need a cooling period....

They ruined a set and I will demand them to buy a set to replace them. I have a place that has one....So we will see...They may say send them back but the one that they cut already looks like they have to cut another 1/4" off and do the same to the other. So the guards are not that big as it is and cutting them down that much will make it very noticeable they are not correct. Plus, there is no way in H## I would let them ruin my other NOS set....

I have had 10 sets of bumpers done by them and had zero problems.....the guards clearly shows they cannot do intricate metal fabrication....So bumpers, one is fine but custom work forget it...

Thanks...Mark....You know I cannot even talk to them this week....I need a cooling period....

They ruined a set and I will demand them to buy a set to replace them. I have a place that has one....So we will see...They may say send them back but the one that they cut already looks like they have to cut another 1/4" off and do the same to the other. So the guards are not that big as it is and cutting them down that much will make it very noticeable they are not correct. Plus, there is no way in H## I would let them ruin my other NOS set....

I have had 10 sets of bumpers done by them and had zero problems.....the guards clearly shows they cannot do intricate metal fabrication....So bumpers, one is fine but custom work forget it...

Was this Tri-City Plating? That is where I am going to send my bumpers this coming summer although I do not require the level of detail you need. Gives me something to ponder in the meantime. Good chrome platers are hard to find and expensive to boot. Heck, I cannot even find platers in Mexico, the country where they scoff at environmental impact of plating chemicals.

Was this Tri-City Plating? That is where I am going to send my bumpers this coming summer although I do not require the level of detail you need. Gives me something to ponder in the meantime. Good chrome platers are hard to find and expensive to boot. Heck, I cannot even find platers in Mexico, the country where they scoff at environmental impact of plating chemicals.
Yes...As far as bumpers go I have had zero problems. Of course the ones I sent were really good cores. They also stand behind their work the lifetime you own them..

My only issue was in the customization category....I know a guard sounds easy to cut to fit....But these guards they are dealing with has angles(up/down and L/R) and different heights on each side of one guard that meets the bumper. Hence, is why I asked them can you really do this right?

When I get the bumper and guards back from Paul's I will show pics of how they fit versus the set that got muffed up....

In hindsight I wish I sent everything to Paul's but when you had 10 sets of bumpers done right and has a more original looking chrome. I went with what was consistent. Paul's will be done above a factory type chrome look but I have no other option....

Chrome shops are hard to find as you stated.....Tri city is good with bumpers and Paul's is stellar at everything....

Ogden Chrome (local to me) does really nice chrome work as well and they don't just plate bumpers. They've done a lot of plating for Kindig Designs and other big name builders around. They were an awesome company to deal with (one of the few that didn't give me a headache) and even gave me a military discount when they found out I was in.

I was at Paul's yesterday, guy there said they are on a 6 week lead time right now so you might get your stuff back a little quicker than 3-4 months.

I was at Paul's yesterday, guy there said they are on a 6 week lead time right now so you might get your stuff back a little quicker than 3-4 months.
Man thats great news I hope I fall in that timeframe...

Thanks for posting that!

I had read several decent reviews of Tri-City, so sent my Charger bumpers and bumperettes to them several years ago. One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. Very poor quality on the bumpers and the bumperettes have been sent back to them twice. I have decided to just live with it now, but wouldn't send them bumpers from my lawn mower to restore.

Last edited:
Pisses me off when they ruined a 400 dollar set of nos guards and we will see what they will do in return. Furthermore, I talked to two people about this and what needs to be done. Apparently the original bumper was straightened and plated once in it's life. It look perfect chromed but the driver side that was straightened is off enough to throw the guard off. I have/had 2 nos sets and one original and they all 3 fit the same...

So if you cut one guard to fit you have to cut the other guard or they will not look right. Told them that specifically and guess what only one guard was cut and tell height difference is a 1/4 inch. Also, they half azz cut the guard and it has bad gaps and will not for straight. One gap is about a 1/4 inch.....

So the bumper and a NOS set of guards is on its way to Paul's chrome.....I know it is the bumper but I cannot drive the car until I get it on. Even though it won't happen but if someone slammed me in the rear insurance would not cover without the proper equipment in place.....I have way too much vested for a what if scenario.....

It took 4 months the first go around, 2 months the second go around and Paul's probably another 3-4 months.....

Final things done....well waiting on a are, rims had to go back to be redone, steering wheel is getting restored.....also still waiting on IS for one part....

The seats...waiting for the new rear upper cover from legendary.....it had a see area so that was not noticeable untill it was stretched and installed....and another issue with them I will explain later...

The seats was a kick in the azz but the bumper was a clear shot in the nuts...

I had read several decent reviews of Tri-City, so sent my Charger bumpers and bumperettes to them several years ago. One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. Very poor quality on the bumpers and the bumperettes have been sent back to them twice. I have decided to just live with it now, but wouldn't send them bumpers from my lawn mower to restore.
Thanks for the info as I am not surprised by the guards but I personally have not had any issues with their bumpers chromed. In light of this situation. I will say I will not use them again. When you cannot do a bumper guard right makes one think in relation to other things.....

Especially, with multiple calls about what to do and asking if they can do this...then do the complete opposite.....

Advanced plating for me! they are in Nashville TN. also had god luck with AIH in Dubuque IA.
Thanks for the info...I completely forgot about Advance Plating....I have heard good things about them through the years...

If anyone needs any restorations paints for grilles, engine etc. Totally Auto is not selling them direct on their website anymore. The vendor whom supplies the paint has grown his business into bigger and brighter things. So if you need any correct paints this is the contact information. Ask for Chaz...

IMG_20171104_200641628.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back