• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I came across one of those "once in a lifetime finds." This is a complete NOS grille center section. The oversprays and the poorly applied red stripe in one corner goes to show how these were done back in the day. The Gray matches exactly as the grille paint from Chaz above...

So I am on the fence as to what to do...I was originally thinking of selling the one on the X and freshening up this one and installing it. However, the one in the X is perfect and doesn't need to be remove. So I have decided to keep the NOS as a spare. You never know what can happen to these fragile GTX grilles and a spare could be handy to have...

IMG_1271.JPG
IMG_1272.JPG
IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG

I got word on my bumper and guards from Pauls today. Looks like they will be done in 3 months or less...

I spoke to the guy that will be doing the work and he said the issue with that guard fitting was due to a previous repair to that side. Which I always thought was the issue. The area was too flat which kicked the guard out and away from the bumper. So they are going to get the curve back in the bumper and may not have to altered the guard. If they have to it will be minimal...

Spoke to my steering wheel guy this evening and it should be done by the end of the week.....

My wheels are done and will pick them up this weekend....

I think I will be starting on the front buckets this weekend....

Looks like I may be able to post more soon....

Stay tuned my friends...

Well, I came across one of those "once in a lifetime finds." This is a complete NOS grille center section. The oversprays and the poorly applied red stripe in one corner goes to show how these were done back in the day. The Gray matches exactly as the grille paint from Chaz above...

So I am on the fence as to what to do...I was originally thinking of selling the one on the X and freshening up this one and installing it. However, the one in the X is perfect and doesn't need to be remove. So I have decided to keep the NOS as a spare. You never know what can happen to these fragile GTX grilles and a spare could be handy to have...

View attachment 536997 View attachment 536991 View attachment 536992 View attachment 536993 View attachment 536994 View attachment 536995
View attachment 536996

ill give ya a shiny new quarter fer it :p

Looks like I may be able to post more soon....

Stay tuned my friends...

impala.gif

I say keep it as a spare, you never know.
Bo

I do agree and thanks for the input buffer! It will give me something to restore when I am done with X.

Not sure if any of you guys held one of these grilles in your hands but the 69 GTX/Sport Sat grilles are extremely fragile. The strength comes when they are installed.

I have only seen 2 NOS grilles in my Mopar ventures and the other one was in bad shape overall from storage and moving. This one was a rare find....

The boss has not seen it nor will...lol.....Some things are better left unknown

Justin

Last edited:
Mark

I do agree and thanks for the input buffer! It will give me something to restore when I am done with X.

Not sure if any of you guys held one of these grilles in your hands but the 69 GTX/Sport Sat grilles are extremely fragile. The strength comes when they are installed.

I have only seen 2 NOS grilles in my Mopar ventures and the other one was in bad shape overall from storage and moving. This one was a rare find....

The boss has not seen it nor will...lol.....Some things are better left unknown

Justin
I probably wouldn’t even carry it around fromshelf to shelf or to the bench I’d have someone else do it so I can place the blame somewhere else if it breaks lol, kidding. I’d do the same don’t let anyone know where you have it! BTW it’s Bo, not Mark lol, I know you got a million names you’re trying to remember on this thread, no worries bud!

I like your grill find. You seem to know where to look.
Thank you for all your posts, you are doing a great job and giving us some good stuff to learn from.

I probably wouldn’t even carry it around fromshelf to shelf or to the bench I’d have someone else do it so I can place the blame somewhere else if it breaks lol, kidding. I’d do the same don’t let anyone know where you have it! BTW it’s Bo, not Mark lol, I know you got a million names you’re trying to remember on this thread, no worries bud!
Bo sorry....no it is all me I am terrible with names as you can tell Sorry...

I like your grill find. You seem to know where to look.
Thank you for all your posts, you are doing a great job and giving us some good stuff to learn from.
Howard

Good to see you back my friend! Thank you for the compliments!

Justin

View attachment 536997 View attachment 536991 View attachment 536992 View attachment 536993 View attachment 536994 View attachment 536995 View attachment 536996
Nice. If you're going to be driving the car after you show it then keep the NOS on the shelf in case you hit a deer or something worse happens. Then, insurance can pay you back for it.

I've seen a grill floating around on ebay that claimed to be nos and it was over $4k so I would lock that thing up in a safe! They are so expensive that I would not have bought my car if it wasn't included with the parts lol. I am happy with my "been there, done that" looking grill :)

Justin, still looking great!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back