• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_1420.JPG
IMG_1421.JPG

DONE! My right hand is jacked up...lol....Good thing I am a switch hitter:lol:

##In the first pic the Goodyear Speedway Pro tire is the original tire that came on the GTX it was on the spare tire rim##

IMG_1454.JPG
IMG_1455.JPG
IMG_1456.JPG

Awesome, they look great. It is still surprising a "well known" vendor would not take the time to ensure quality over quantity. Oh well, their loss. You have just completed a task I have though I would not want to try. But having seen basically every step here, it may not be too bad. I would say patience is the key. And we all know you have a good set of those!
Another job well done Sir. Thank you.

:thumbsup:

Awesome, they look great. It is still surprising a "well known" vendor would not take the time to ensure quality over quantity. Oh well, their loss. You have just completed a task I have though I would not want to try. But having seen basically every step here, it may not be too bad. I would say patience is the key. And we all know you have a good set of those!
Another job well done Sir. Thank you.

:thumbsup:
George....Thanks for the compliments!

Based on the skills I have seen in your thread. I have no doubt with the Legendary video and some patience you can accomplish this as well. Just know that sometimes once you set a hog ring you may have to go back and remove some and reposition/stretch ect. If is not a one and done clamping process but typically you just reuse the hole already made.

As far as the vendor goes...the phrase is ironic at best "you always bring me junk" lol....Guess what you brought me Sue?

Justin

Justin, seats look awesome! I have done a few sets myself, and I must say your hands will be sore for a few days. The cost savings is well worth it. Not to mention you know as well as I do that the quality of most peoples work will just disappoint ya anyways. Question for ya regarding the seat foam. I have a 68 Charger and am looking at the buckets where you added the foam on the outer sides to keep the bolstering and wrinkles down. I don't think I want to do that with mine because my covers are pronounced on the outers like your GTX is. Your buckets turned out awesome looking by the way after that foam addition! Did you get the foam/seat buns from legendary as well?

Justin, seats look awesome! I have done a few sets myself, and I must say your hands will be sore for a few days. The cost savings is well worth it. Not to mention you know as well as I do that the quality of most peoples work will just disappoint ya anyways. Question for ya regarding the seat foam. I have a 68 Charger and am looking at the buckets where you added the foam on the outer sides to keep the bolstering and wrinkles down. I don't think I want to do that with mine because my covers are pronounced on the outers like your GTX is. Your buckets turned out awesome looking by the way after that foam addition! Did you get the foam/seat buns from legendary as well?
When all is said and done with what I had to purchased additionally and money recouped back I still lost about 500 bucks roughly......So there was all loss and zero savings but at least they are right! Guess in the end it was a $500 training class on doing seats. So not a total loss....

The foam added to the molded foam is only for Plymouth seat covers because of the side boaters and 2 listing wires on the covers. Charger has a one piece 1/2 foam added on top of the moulded foam and the cover has a single listing down the center. Charger covers are meant to be flat versus Plymouth.

Everything for my seats was from Legendary.....

Thanks for the compliments...they were indeed an adventure but well worth that in the end. It is brutal on the hands as you noted....

Originally, before I took them to Sue I was thinking of doing them my self....always go with your gut, right?

Justin

Great, once again, Justin

Now, I need to add some extra padding to my seat, er, butt, since Coronets didn't have it.

Justin,all I can say is you’ve done one helluva job!!! I am very impressed, much better than I could have done.

Justin,all I can say is you’ve done one helluva job!!! I am very impressed, much better than I could have done.
Jeff

Thank you ever so much! One of my friends came over today to check things out but he was unaware of "who" redid the seats. He was aware of whom screwed them up. So he peers in the car and says "damn they look great." What shop did you take them too? I said, J's shop...he grinned and shook his head and said, "thats why they look right!" He is a very very critical chap btw.....So I was a bit nervous for his response....

Still after doing them I still rehash in my mind why did I not do these years ago....

So Jeff don't sell yourself short. I bet with the help from the video and patience you could tackle this just like I did....Crap, if any of you guys were closer I would be happy to do them for you....Honestly, the hand/finger issues aside. I actually enjoyed doing them.....

Justin

Last edited:
LOOK AT THOSE FLIPPING WRINKLES IN PIC 2

Yeah, Ray Charles could have done a better job!

Hey, they're done right now. Good thing they were stitched ok. I've seen examples where the pieces didn't line up, back seat, one side different than the other, ect. School of hard knocks and you are that much wiser for it. Nice work!

Yeah, Ray Charles could have done a better job!

Hey, they're done right now. Good thing they were stitched ok. I've seen examples where the pieces didn't line up, back seat, one side different than the other, ect. School of hard knocks and you are that much wiser for it. Nice work!
Thanks Kidd....

This errors you mention above in the covers was in the rear upper seat back. So Legendary made another one rather quickly. When you receive this stuff of course you inspect everything but some things are not noticeable until you install them unfortunately...Keeping things lined up was a test/retest on the front buckets. They say line up the bottom edge and attach the listings but if I did it in the manner the horizontal lines would be off. So the cut on the bottom edge was off. That is where the test and retest came into play....

Justin

Another catch-up for me on this build....man those seats are awesome now. You have some mad skills Justin. Seats are something I have never attempted myself, and I can see why now. Lots of patience and skill required for sure.
At last you can now be satisfied with another part of the rebuild. Congrats on a great job.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back