• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
showard nailed it on the head. Not only has it been fun watching this car come together, but the knowledge that Ive gained because of your explanation of how things are assembled, proper finishes, why the factory did certain things that they did, etc. is just fantastic. I cant tell you how many times I go through this thread for reference pictures and info pertaining to my Charger resto. Thank you very much. My dad and I have a lot of conversations about things that Ive learned from your restoration. Hopefully one day my dad and I can see that beauty in person and meet you face to face.
Chris

That Sherman guy did nail it well.....I agree...

The one things that irritates me to no end is knowledge that people refuse to share....I have been on the OE side of things for quite awhile and trust me there are a "little" few OE guys that do not enjoy all thats relayed here.

What do I say...Piss on em....I am very pleased to hear that the help this thread is bringing to the real hobbyists as yourself, the members and the on lookers....That was my other purpose of this thread. Not to make it seem as to the effect as look at what I have, see these beauty NOS parts and these nicely restored pieces....I am not a bragging person and most who know me don't even know that I have this GTX in the garage, lol....Know me for me and maybe you will see the other stuff...

That was my worry about this thread as it progressed are people going to think I am show boating etc...I will assure I am not and the purpose of the NOS parts was a record with pictures and PN's for future people doing restorations like this to use and to purchase the correct parts....Also, to show the junky reproduction parts in comparison to the OE equipment. The finishes are the #1 hardest feature to figure out on a correct OE build. Some judges may argue a few of the finishes but these are what I have researched and seen done....

I thank you for your feedback and compliments! Much appreciated!

In the future I would enjoy getting you and your pop's in person and hopefully with the car...Think about Mcacn if possible....

Justin

I am not a bragging person and most who know me don't even know that I have this GTX in the garage, lol....Know me for me and maybe you will see the other stuff...

That was my worry about this thread as it progressed are people going to think I am show boating etc...I will assure I am not and the purpose of the NOS parts was a record with pictures and PN's for future people doing restorations like this to use and to purchase the correct parts....Also, to show the junky reproduction parts in comparison to the OE equipment. The finishes are the #1 hardest feature to figure out on a correct OE build. Some judges may argue a few of the finishes but these are what I have researched and seen done....
Trust me Justin, what you have given the members here is far from 'show-boating' or self-gratification in any form. This thread has given many members inspiration and most of us have learned many new tricks and techniques along the journey. If you were a show-boater, I'm sure we would have seen you pick things up and put them down again. :D
My only regret about this thread is that it wasn't around 20 years ago...I know I've said that before, but I say it again because I firmly believe it.
Thanks again for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience with everyone here.
:thumbsup:

Trust me Justin, what you have given the members here is far from 'show-boating' or self-gratification in any form. This thread has given many members inspiration and most of us have learned many new tricks and techniques along the journey. If you were a show-boater, I'm sure we would have seen you pick things up and put them down again. :D
My only regret about this thread is that it wasn't around 20 years ago...I know I've said that before, but I say it again because I firmly believe it.
Thanks again for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience with everyone here.
:thumbsup:
Roger

Thanks for the compliments and kind words my good friend!

Makes me pleased to know that this information is truly beneficial to you and the members here. In my own way I diligently tried to relay some tricks of the trade and how to minimize costly mistakes. This day and age redo's are a very expensive learning experience. Even with the best restorations mistakes and errors still do happen but as a whole I think my thread minimized more for others....

I wish it was around 20 years ago as well...I probably would have found all the unobtanium NOS by now for the X...lol...

You're Right I only pick them up and thats it....Why would anyone want to put "them" down?, lol:p

I will say nearing completion of the car has certainly slowed this thread down a bit but I do not believe it will end for quite awhile. There is so much more to come...this journey is far from over....

Justin

Smiley ECS I lift things Up & put them down.jpg

Trust me Justin, what you have given the members here is far from 'show-boating' or self-gratification in any form.

You're right, this thread is only about a simple restoration, it's not like he built some odd looking 4-door E-body.

:lol:

You're right, this thread is only about a simple restoration, it's not like he built some odd looking 4-door E-body.

:lol:
A simple restoration for us lowly bottom dwellers and simpletons....lol...Maybe even called Deplorable but you know what? Being a simple restoration and a deplorable are exactly what this hobby craves. Not only based on this thread but also including the other build threads here...

So to you Mark I say to you below!

putincookies.jpg

A simple restoration for us lowly bottom dwellers and simpletons....lol...Maybe even called Deplorable but you know what? Being a simple restoration and a deplorable are exactly what this hobby craves. Not only based on this thread but also including the other build threads here...

So to you Mark I say to you below!

View attachment 555268

And he will probably eat it. :p

HI Justin - I just finished reading this whole thread from start to finish and must say it was an amazing read .Pictures and description must have taken you as long as the build .
Your attention to detail and parts hunting skills and patience for correct parts location requires amazing patience .
Your dad and family must be proud of the way the car has turned out .
Thanks for such an amazing and well described read ,I have learned quite a lot from this thread
Also nice to see people helping to describe and help with the build when you asked questions or in giving tips .
I must say this is a great forum .
Thanks also again for the parts .

The car looks amazing can't wait to see a picture of you driving and enjoying the ride .

Pete

HI Justin - I just finished reading this whole thread from start to finish and must say it was an amazing read .Pictures and description must have taken you as long as the build .
Your attention to detail and parts hunting skills and patience for correct parts location requires amazing patience .
Thanks for such an amazing and well described read ,I have learned quite a lot from this thread
Also nice to see people helping to describe and help with the build when you asked questions or in giving tips .

The car looks amazing can't wait to see a picture of you driving and enjoying the ride .

Pete
Pete

Glad to see you around these parts my friend! Thank you very much for the compliments and kind words......

Funny thing is posting the pictures and the descriptions is what held up my build...lol....It takes a fair amount of time but it was time well wasted....It gave me down time to think things through and not to rush anything. Through the years I have acquired a good resource list of parts people and the knack to find parts....I am pretty persistent and proactive....

I too agree on our wonderful members here...Several have helped me out tons on various parts and restoration of some...Some have pointed those errors out in this thread and some PM'd me....The more eyes the better and heck maybe what I was doing was actually wrong. Several times, I clearly admitted that and have no problem doing so.....Unlike some my EGO doesn't need to be stroked nor blinds me. I have made many mistakes through this build...We are human and that happens to all of us.....

Glad your pleased with the parts! Happy to help out!

The drive is getting close once the weather clears up......

Justin

Pete

if FBBO had an MVP award........ I'm sure Justin would be the recipient....... the patience required to document and post, rivals the patience required for the build........ I've questioned whether he sleeps or not

if FBBO had an MVP award........ I'm sure Justin would be the recipient....... the patience required to document and post, rivals the patience required for the build........ I've questioned whether he sleeps or not
Too flipping funny...On the Sleep aspect....I do remember you mentioning that.....

Thing with me I am an early bird and a night owl....My pops was the same way....Growing up and going to parties in HS was no joy the next morning...It was an insult to my pops to sleep past 8am if I did he would just bang on the door, crack it open and yell get up loudly.....Trust me I got my azz up because the second knock wasn't the door, lol....Main reason everyone sat at the table and had break fest as a family. To this day I greatly appreciate him doing that...Ohh and when he did have to knock I got the phrase, "well half the day is gone, time is not renewable."

Thanks for the compliments on the postings, much appreciate that!

Justin

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Justin! I like the new avatar pic. I am going to be a bit sad when your build comes to an end. The documentation, pictures, comparisons, how-to's have been greatly appreciated, thank you for your contribution :)

Looking forward to more pics of the GTX as she gets ready for her debut!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Justin! I like the new avatar pic. I am going to be a bit sad when your build comes to an end. The documentation, pictures, comparisons, how-to's have been greatly appreciated, thank you for your contribution :)

Looking forward to more pics of the GTX as she gets ready for her debut!
Mark

Same to you and your family!

I thought it was due time to update the avatar....it is where all my focus is on....

I know things have slowed a bit...right now I am waiting on a few parts to come in and to update later.....

Dave stopped by last night to check on the tune situation with the new carb....Since he was the one who broke in the motor is has kinda been considered as his baby. So when I tinkered with it he wanted to check the ...lol....he threw the timing gun to it and checks vacuum, looks at me and says good job...but he still had to put his touch on it....I can't biker with a legend

I got a tank full of gas and when weather is decent it is going around the block.

I still have more to add to this thread after all is done....stay tuned....

Thank you for all your input and a major contribution to the X(you may not think so but it was). Also thank you for the compliments and comments!

Justin

Last edited:
We're gonna need a vid of that ride around the block..
It may be time for me to update my avatar as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back