• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just ate at Giordonos after a powerlifting meet at B&W gym... good stuff...
everyone has likes/dislikes,,but CHICAGO MEANS PIZZA, DA CUBS SELL IT AT WRIGLEY FIELD,,,they also make a great flat pizza too,bone appa teat,,just like THE BIG "D" and all the Q joints in the METROPLEX I have been to over the past 40 years of pass'n THRU,,TEXAS MEANS BBQ,,is the orig,,sonny brians near down town D still there?????

Now back to "THE GTX" ,,,,,Justin my heart felt thanks for your time on this almost 100 page thread it is FIRST CLASS just like your POP and his SON,your attention to detail is beyond any words to describe,most likely the best X in the milky way ,,,I can 100% relate FATHER- SON,my pop was WWII US NAVY been gone since 2010,like you he left me his BABY,1973 BUICK LIMITED,49K miles and untouched triple midnight blue,nothing fancy ,not a muscle car ,but just the same... THE BOND GOES UNBROKEN MY BROTHER,FATHER TO SON,now its time to JUST ENJOY THE MEMORIES YOU HAD AS WELL AS MYSELF....you are a stand up dude in all respects..maybe next NOV we will meet if I make the trip back to my HOMETOWN,SWEET HOME CHICAGO!!!!best of the NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY,Mark IN OHIO

everyone has likes/dislikes,,but CHICAGO MEANS PIZZA, DA CUBS SELL IT AT WRIGLEY FIELD,,,they also make a great flat pizza too,bone appa teat,,just like THE BIG "D" and all the Q joints in the METROPLEX I have been to over the past 40 years of pass'n THRU,,TEXAS MEANS BBQ,,is the orig,,sonny brians near down town D still there?????
You cannot go wrong with Sonny's....
http://www.sonnybryans.com
My #1 choice as well....#2 is Rudy's

Now back to "THE GTX" ,,,,,Justin my heart felt thanks for your time on this almost 100 page thread it is FIRST CLASS just like your POP and his SON,your attention to detail is beyond any words to describe,most likely the best X in the milky way ,,,I can 100% relate FATHER- SON,my pop was WWII US NAVY been gone since 2010,like you he left me his BABY,1973 BUICK LIMITED,49K miles and untouched triple midnight blue,nothing fancy ,not a muscle car ,but just the same... THE BOND GOES UNBROKEN MY BROTHER,FATHER TO SON,now its time to JUST ENJOY THE MEMORIES YOU HAD AS WELL AS MYSELF....you are a stand up dude in all respects..maybe next NOV we will meet if I make the trip back to my HOMETOWN,SWEET HOME CHICAGO!!!!best of the NEW YEAR TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY,Mark IN OHIO
Mark

Thanks for the fine compliments my friend! Much appreciated indeed...

Also, thank you for sharing your story as well and I can clearly tell you can relate....Special thanks to your late pops for serving the country well and bringing up a fine person as yourself and making it safe for people like me...73 Buick limited midnight blue man I would knock that a bit that is on bitchin ride and would love to have that....That is the ride one can cruise with class and a lot of room for some hotties!.....

I do hope you get the chance to go back to hometown and the show...Will be nice to meet some peeps in person...

Same to you and your family as well Mark!

Justin

We just ate at Giordonos after a powerlifting meet at B&W gym... good stuff...
My kind of gym...
http://bwgym.info

Ever hear the name Capt Kirk Karwoski? Also. Johnny Perry, Tim Stallings, Dione and Willie Wessels.....Back in the day on the east coast I was involved in APF for about 7 years and NASS for almost 8 years.....

Cool info coming out in this thread...love this!

Justin

My kind of gym...
http://bwgym.info

Ever hear the name Capt Kirk Karwoski? Also. Johnny Perry, Tim Stallings, Dione and Willie Wessels.....Back in the day on the east coast I was involved in APF for about 7 years and NASS for almost 8 years.....

Cool info coming out in this thread...love this!

Justin
I’m more of a martial arts guy having studying Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo
for a decade or so. This is my step son on squat. He’s a beast..,

I’m more of a martial arts guy having studying Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo
for a decade or so. This is my step son on squat. He’s a beast..,

Needless to say don't piss off the step son...lol....

Honestly, he needed more weight....Was that the warm up? Nice clean lift...Perfect form!

Needless to say don't piss off the step son...lol....

Honestly, he needed more weight....Was that the warm up? Nice clean lift...Perfect form!
He new he needed more weight but one of the judges was nitpicking his shoulder position on deadlift so he didn’t want to risk a bad lift. He ended up with second place in his weight class. Should’ve won like last year.

Well...went to take the stroll in the X and it died in the garage....Apparently, starting the car and running to operating temp 4-6x per week for a couple months....burnt all the fuel...lol...

So I already had 5 gallons to put back in it but I plan on filling it up lol...Today wasn't the day...

Last edited:

He new he needed more weight but one of the judges was nitpicking his shoulder position on deadlift so he didn’t want to risk a bad lift. He ended up with second place in his weight class. Should’ve won like last year.

Yeah..they can be very picky.....

Interesting on the deadlift. He lifts overhanded....

I wish I could find my old strongman video when we where deadlifting max reps on top of a parking garage....We were banging the weight so hard the cars below where getting nailed with debris...lol

Well...went to take the stroll in the X and it died in the garage....Apparently, starting the car and running to operating temp 4-6x per week for a couple months....burnt all the fuel...lol...

So I already had 5 gallons to put back in it but I plan on filling it up lol...Today wasn't the day...
It’s 14 degrees with snow on the ground, no car rides here, lol.

Merry Christmas Justin, man you have come a long way and everything is so beautifully assembled. I am so glad you are near the end of your quest and so close to being able to enjoy it the way your pops did!
Congratulations on a 2nd to none restoration!

Merry Christmas Justin, man you have come a long way and everything is so beautifully assembled. I am so glad you are near the end of your quest and so close to being able to enjoy it the way your pops did!
Congratulations on a 2nd to none restoration!
Same to you and your family Mike!

Thanks for the compliments my Texas friend!.....It has been a wonderful adventure and all the hiccups are a forgotten memory....When I was backing out I was like "here we go" putt putt putter splat....lol....Apparently, having fuel is important for combustion:D Good thing Natalie wasn't home. I can hear her say you put the whole car together, checked and rechecked and then triple checked everything but you don't even check the fuel gauge....lol

The excitement clouded me.....:p

Justin

Lol, that's story you'll be able to share with great pride forever!!! You earned that one!!!

I've done this.......Its amazing how much fuel they burn idling ...... ZERO mpg, lmao

Justin,
You have helped some of us more than you realize. I have enjoyed watching your professional work. I am amazed with how much work and how fast you were able to rebuild your car. My car has been a slow process but I am excited to keep working on it. I started my project not really knowing much at all and still have a lot to learn.
Great build and great looking car, Thanks for sharing.

Sherman

showard nailed it on the head. Not only has it been fun watching this car come together, but the knowledge that Ive gained because of your explanation of how things are assembled, proper finishes, why the factory did certain things that they did, etc. is just fantastic. I cant tell you how many times I go through this thread for reference pictures and info pertaining to my Charger resto. Thank you very much. My dad and I have a lot of conversations about things that Ive learned from your restoration. Hopefully one day my dad and I can see that beauty in person and meet you face to face.

Justin,
You have helped some of us more than you realize. I have enjoyed watching your professional work. I am amazed with how much work and how fast you were able to rebuild your car. My car has been a slow process but I am excited to keep working on it. I started my project not really knowing much at all and still have a lot to learn.
Great build and great looking car, Thanks for sharing.

Sherman
Sherman

Thank you very much for that input and compliments. In the beginning I didn't know how this "thread thing" was going to go but it turned into a whole another animal. The interest from the members here in my thread was the "fuel for the fire" per se....Without you guys having interest I probably would have lost interest and the number of pages would have been lucky to be around 30....

That interest and the information I have learned over many years gave me a lot of joy to relay and show what I did in relation to my restorations. I also benefited during the process as well. There were a few things that I had done or parts that were incorrect. Members either pointed out here or PM'd me and I thank them all for pointing out my mistakes...I also made note of those errors in the thread as well....

So your not the only one still learning my friend....

As far as the speediness of this restoration keep in mind almost 90% of the parts were done or in the process of getting done before the car came back from the shop. Even with that I will admit I don't waste time assembling stuff but I do spend the time to get it right....

With my first restoration I was in the situation as your in and I do understand....Through time I have built my own personal assembly line process and timeframe....Finally, with the last restoration I have it spot on...lol....Hence is part of the main purpose of my thread. This is exactly a page by page when the car came back from the body shop to completion. It is a good model to go by and along with the restoration techniques I have learned on my own or from other hobbyists....

The other purpose was to simply help others...What are we if we don't help each other out?

The begging of this build was a story of a wonderful father and the 90 pages plus after that was a glimpse of how my pops did things....I learned from the best.......

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back