• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0676.JPG
IMG_0677.JPG
IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG
IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_0682.JPG
IMG_0685.JPG

Justin,

Make sure the column isn't 180 degrees off. There is a mark on the coupler that faces upward when everything is correct. With the wheels straight and steering wheel in the correct position, it will look like this.

I had to remove my column more than I care to say. Just want you to be aware of this as you do not have any pictures with the steering wheel installed.

DD

Just looked at your pictures again and it looks like you are OK.

Coupler.JPG

Make sure the column isn't 180 degrees off.

OK, if I had read your first post with the column install, I would have seen you were on top of it. My bad.

DD

Man I don't know about you Justin, but I'm getting giddy seeing how close you are, to getting done. I'm sure it'll be an emotional first ride.

Make sure the column isn't 180 degrees off.

OK, if I had read your first post with the column install, I would have seen you were on top of it. My bad.

DD
No worries Darrin as I am glad you are keeping an eye out. All three indexes point at 12 o'clock. The picture and the black kinda masks the coupler notch.

I will admit I made that mistake twice...Once both the coupler and shaft were 180 off and the second the coupler was correct but the shaft was 180 off....Never again....Nothing worse than pulling a restored column in and out...

Justin

Justin is that the contact info for parts hound on the slip of paper? I'm trying to find replacement rivets for all the switches. I bought the

new chrome pieces and need new hardware.
That is correct....

Man I don't know about you Justin, but I'm getting giddy seeing how close you are, to getting done. I'm sure it'll be an emotional first ride.
Tim

It all came to fruition when the column went in with zero problems....It took me literally 10 min's if that....keep in mind that is with no help...Like the car wants to be done, weird....

Between the dash and the column I cannot count how man times I stared at it.....You are correct the giddy factor is pinging....

I think the start up will be the most emotional part and the second will be it's first voyage...

Justin

The dash look fantastic Justin! Ive always loved red interiors, especially with black or silver exteriors, and seeing this just confirms that for me.

The dash look fantastic Justin! Ive always loved red interiors, especially with black or silver exteriors, and seeing this just confirms that for me.
Chris

Thanks for the compliments! I also like white exterior with red interior as well!

Justin

Well it no longer looks like the "Hawaiian" anymore, lol....

Saturday, the X got an alignment and the brakes bled. After that the shoes were adjusted along with the E brake...

IMG_0690.JPG

Today I installed the carpet....One of my top 5 least favorite things to do....The carpet came from ACC and I specified extra lengths for trimming purposes. You know these carpets are moulded but man I have yet to have one mould one right. BTW they have been laying flat for about 6 months inside. The back portion was a royal pain and I had to use a lot of steam, relief cuts and had to glue some areas. The front was much better with the exception of the poorly moulding 4 speed hump area....Sure one will say you have a console, so who cares...I am glad I do have a console because without one it wouldn't look right.

So the first few pics show a comparison between the OE "horse hair" type jute and the standard one on the new carpet. What a difference in thickness, density and texture. The OE stuff if very difficult to cut with a blade or scissors but the new stuff cuts like butter....So the guys at National Moparts hooked me up with a front and rear carpet that came out of a nice 67 GTX(first two pics). So I remove the OE just and clean it and remove the new jute on the ACC and glued the OE just to the carpet....

DSC04076.JPG
DSC04077.JPG
DSC04078.JPG
IMG_0691.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG
IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0700.JPG

Looks damn fine Sir. I must have missed it or I just plain can't remember, but what are the wheels going to be?
What you see....14" steelies and F70 x 14 goodyear speedway's with white stripe...and the "Plymouth" poverty caps....

Thats what the car came with originally and I had to hunt to find a original set of dated steelies...

Do not forget to run your console light harness.....

This is the original headlight switch. I removed the cap and got it plated and cleaned up the housing. It is dated the 43rd week of 1968...

Original hardware was plated as well...

IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0706.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0709.JPG
IMG_0711.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back