• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ford has a Slight Manufacturing Defect, F-250 "Death Wobble"

There’s another video of the service writer calling them trying to tell them the truck is not designed to go over 65 mph

Anything with a straight front axle and linked steering can get death wobble. Ram 2500/3500 and jeeps get it also
It's usually caused by worn out balljoints, tierod ends, steering stabilizer, unevenly worn tires or a combination of these

**** like this is why I stopped taking my car to the dealer.

Yup. They all do it. My 03 3/4 ton did it. Rebuilt the whole front end new steering stabalizer shock from Napa. That lasted 2 weeks. Went to the dealer and got a factory stabalizer....all good since. Napa refunded me the price of the stabalizer without question. Good to go since.

18582307_1321415651246336_7699957238146146367_n.jpg

Drove a 94 Dodge 3500 at work that would do that at 45. Of course, the highest posted speed limit in the refinery was 30 but you know how that goes lol. The truck only had 90k miles on it and I'm sure those weren't exactly easy miles.....

Last edited:
See this on a lot of RAM 1500 or larger such trucks if aftermarket wheels are used with the incorrect spacers.

Jeeps like CJ's were really bad for it...
usually the wrong or a "too vertical caster"/spindle angles,
bad/worn parts/wrong pinion angles on a solid axle wedge/shims can cure
mostly all with larger wider wheels & tires, frame flexes really bad,
sometimes a frame spreaders/cross-member
& a quality steering stabilizer helped a shitload...

Ford has been know to have a ton of issues with the trucks
& wishbone &/or 2 wd twin I-beam & 4 wd independent front
4x4 suspensions have always known for,
front tires really lay over, in or out, neg. or positive camber when turning
"**** really WIDE turning radiuses & really poor tire wear, among others
like shock wear, brake wear & ball-joint or bushings,
all premature wear issues too...

Some years are far worse than others...

Gen 1 & some gen 2 Dodge Dakota's "had" a death wobble issues
on the 4x4's, independent front, oversized tires, frame flex
but usually a quality stabilizer cured it, you can add a spreader too...

Last edited:
The track bar is a big one too. I think when they are worn it causes this type of resonation.

My fix has always been dual steering stabilizers. (and no worn components).

The track bar is a big one too. I think when they are worn it causes this type of resonation.

My fix has always been dual steering stabilizers. (and no worn components).

I had a '78 Ferd Bronco years ago and it did the same thing as in the video after hitting a seam in a bridge, pot hole, anything that would disrupt the normal tracking of the front end. You would have to come to a complete stop to get it under control. Tracking bar bushings were wore out.

Check out the tracking bar on this 2500 in this video. Sometimes if it's a newer vehicle, they didn't put enough caster in at the factory and that will act the same.

**** like this is why I stopped taking my car to the dealer.

Holy cow... not designed to go over 65mph!!! If a dealership told me that I'd have to call them out on that one, I'd tell them I want a full refund since the sticker didn't clearly say that it won't go over 65 without rattling your teeth out. I borrow my brothers lifted Ram 2500 Diesel Mega Cab all the time, it doesn't like to cruise under 80mph and is smooth as can be.

My daughter had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that started that **** at about 150K miles. I replaced the stabilizer cylinder. That fixed it but like everyone else......The first time it does it just about makes you **** yourself.

Had a 74 high boy 3/4 that would do the same. fixed it with a damper { shock } kit on the drag link.

Auto Transport Service
Back