• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

former member

This is so easy for the 2 parties to straighten out. Mail the damn check back and be done with this. Just my 2 cents, Carry on.
Or better yet, cash the check and mail off the parts. I'm really not understanding what the big deal is. Everybody makes mistakes, and this isn't a huge one imo. Maybe this Alaskan guy just had a bad day?

How to Handle a Lost Cashier’s Check.​

• Canceling a cashier’s check is more complex than canceling a personal bank check.
  • If you lose a cashier’s check you must notify the bank, fill out a declaration of lost form, and wait–it can take 90 days (after you file) to recoup the money.
  • The bank will levy a fee of $30 or more when you cancel a cashier’s check.
As I said. This is what happened to me. Guy handed me the 'check', picked up his car, and drove straight to the bank to cancel. By the time we did deposits for the day, bank processed, etc, it was already dead. He moved out of state the day after that. He had it all planned out. I, too, stopped taking cashier's checks as final payment.
I do agree it's shitty he won't send your check back. So I propose a solution, get an envelope, put a stamp on it, put your address on it in both spots, fold it up and put it in an envelope, put a stamp on that envelope and send it to him kindly asking him to put the check in it.
If this has already been said, I apologize, I stopped reading.

Last edited:
I think I'll send my damaged grille to Carlisle....there must be one hellava great Vendor stand there straightening grilles this year. :lol:
Be sure to label it - Care of/The Womens‘ Oasis tent. :thumbsup: Grille straightening… in the workshops. :D
C690AD43-20E0-4CF8-912F-96978F470349.jpeg

So, I’ll say this one more time. Barry asked for a postal money order, the OP intentionally did not send that, and instead of going to the post office as requested, he went to the bank instead. How is that a mistake? If I’m selling something and I request PayPal, but the buyer decides to send me payment through Venmo, for whatever reason, that’s a “small mistake” on his part? Or an intentional act?. So, Barry tells him he doesn’t like cashiers checks because he’s been scammed on the before, but instead of sending him the postal money order as requested, the OP “promises that the check is good”? Now who sounds like a scammer? And to make the thread and allow Barry to be called a scammer, douchebag, and a number of other things…..not such a “small mistake” after all, now is it? And to say he’s going to post this on all of the Mopar sites so someone can “learn from his mistake’?

Did the OP ever consider that maybe Barry might not have a bank account? Or maybe that he doesn’t want transactions going through his bank account, maybe because he was scammed by another person on a cashiers check before? There is a reason he requested a postal money order, and there is a reason why the OP ignored that request, but nobody seems to care. Instead, Barry is now being drug through the mud for not “doing the right thing”, when the OP didn’t do the right thing in the first place.

Learn your lesson, fix your own mistakes, and move on. You’ve wasted way more than 3 hours of Barry’s time, and cost him a hit on his reputation. Small mistake?

Last edited:
So, I’ll say this one more time. Barry asked for a postal money order, the OP intentionally did not send that, and instead of going to the post office as requested, he went to the bank instead. How is that a mistake? If I’m selling something and I request PayPal, but the buyer decides to send me payment through Venmo, for whatever reason, that’s a “small mistake” on his part? Or an intentional act?. So, Barry tells him he doesn’t like cashiers checks because he’s been scammed on the before, but instead of sending him the postal money order as requested, the OP “promises that the check is good”? Now who sounds like a scammer? And to make the thread and allow Barry to be called a scammer, douchebag, and a number of other things…..not such a “small mistake” after all, now is it? And to say he’s going to post this on all of the Mopar sites so someone can “learn from his mistake’?

Did the OP ever consider that maybe Barry might not have a bank account? Or maybe that he doesn’t want transactions going through his bank account, maybe because he was scammed by another person on a cashiers check before? There is a reason he requested a postal money order, and there is a reason why the OP ignored that request, but nobody seems to care. Instead, Barry is now being drug through the mud for not “doing the right thing”, when the OP didn’t do the right thing in the first place.

Learn your lesson, fix your own mistakes, and move on. You’ve wasted way more than 3 hours of Barry’s time, and cost him a hit on his reputation. Small mistake?
as I've said, I didn't realize that there would be a difference. I have admitted that was a mistake. Barry said that his motivation for not accepting a cashiers check (after I had mailed it) was because he had been scammed. So, I offered a solution....hold the item until the check clears. His response was, no. He said that he would tear it up and I was to either send him a money order or he would just move on to the next guy and that he didn't really care what I did. I said okay, send the check back and move on to the next guy. He said no, that would cost him money for the stamp.
I wasn't going to trust him with sending him another form of payment. I don't know this guy. No phone, slow responses, unwilling to send the check back, and increasingly more and more snarky emails.....what would stop him from cashing both checks and never sending the item!!!?

So, I saw that he hasn't been on this site for years and wondered why. So I started this thread. At that point, I had 3 different conversations with tellers from my bank that said I couldn't recover my funds without the physical check. I started this thread and wanted to know if anyone had had a bad transaction with this guy. I was trying to determine if I was just out the money. How is that scamming?
With the encouragement of some of these posts, I reached higher up the bank chain of command. I have since learned that after 90 days, I can begin the process of recovering my funds.
Also....I have offered to compensate Barry for his trouble.

no response

You say he's the stand up guy. Would you trust someone with both a cashiers check and a money order for the same item? 2x the agreed upon amount.

Red flags everywhere

He apparently wants to punish me for not following his request. I made a mistake, thinking it wasn't a big deal. I was thinking that he had to go to the bank anyway. My bad.

If hge wants to sell me the item, fine. Either cash the check or send it back.....I won't send another $700+. That would be crazy

Last edited:
Would you trust a person who ignores your payment request, and instead sends a form of payment that has been known to be bogus, then assures you the check is good? You don’t know him, he doesn’t know you. Instead of being able to walk into the post office, parts and MO in hand, and be able to have the MO checked for validity right then and there, BEFORE you send the parts. But instead you insist that he just go to the bank and wait 2 weeks until the check clears, or whatever enough time is, to make sure that they don’t find out that the check was bogus and withdraw the money from his account? With a postal money order, there is no tie to his bank, but you insist that he use your form of payment, or waste more of his time sending it back. Again, he doesn’t know you either, but you sure want him to do things your way. Bottom line is this, your form of payment makes him go to the bank, a postal money order doesn’t, if you didn’t realize there was a difference in that, then you better educate yourself if you plan on buying things online. This isn’t just a simple mistake, look what it has caused! When you have to wait your 90 days or more to try to recoup your money, maybe you will realize that. Or, Barry could just do “the right thing” and send your money back!

well, I get that you might be friends with him.
Yes, lesson learned. I will only buy using paypal or something similar, and never buy from someone who doesn't have a phone.
and fyi...cashiers checks clear immediately, or within 24 hours. I had no idea that CC were known to be bogus. I have used a mo or cc maybe twice in my life.

It is simple. Barry could just send it back using the stamped envelope that I mailed.

waste of time...that's BS. He agreed to ship, so that should have been factored into the sell price or the shipping cost. If it wasn't, that's on him.

If I need to wait the 90 days and pay the fee, that's what I will do and then move on.

can't believe people are bending over backwards defending this "rock solid" jerkoff

Except... My first email to him was... Can anybody buy this? Or does it have to be at Carlisle? His response was yes, anybody can buy it. Let me get a shipping quote for you.
He could have easily said that it's only available at Carlisle. He had to box it and get a quote, just like he would have had to from anyone else not going to Carlisle. His original claim about the cashiers check, was he's been scammed before (that was after I had mailed it). My response was... I'm so sorry. I promise you that's it a good check. Feel free to wait until your bank gives you the green light before you ship. Up until then, he was very nice
Then he started saying that he doesn't really care if I get the part, and that he won't return the check. I've wasted his time and he's done. So, to imply that he's completely a victim in this situation, is disingenuous.

beat me to it..... pretty much word for word.... is a 50 cent stamp, and trip to the mail box that much trouble?...I'm pretty sure no one in this thread would handle it like this, at least I hope not...... it has douchebag written all over it

as I've said, I didn't realize that there would be a difference. I have admitted that was a mistake. Barry said that his motivation for not accepting a cashiers check (after I had mailed it) was because he had been scammed. So, I offered a solution....hold the item until the check clears. His response was, no. He said that he would tear it up and I was to either send him a money order or he would just move on to the next guy and that he didn't really care what I did. I said okay, send the check back and move on to the next guy. He said no, that would cost him money for the stamp.
I wasn't going to trust him with sending him another form of payment. I don't know this guy. No phone, slow responses, unwilling to send the check back, and increasingly more and more snarky emails.....what would stop him from cashing both checks and never sending the item!!!?

So, I saw that he hasn't been on this site for years and wondered why. So I started this thread. At that point, I had 3 different conversations with tellers from my bank that said I couldn't recover my funds without the physical check. I started this thread and wanted to know if anyone had had a bad transaction with this guy. I was trying to determine if I was just out the money. How is that scamming?
With the encouragement of some of these posts, I reached higher up the bank chain of command. I have since learned that after 90 days, I can begin the process of recovering my funds.
Also....I have offered to compensate Barry for his trouble.

no response

You say he's the stand up guy. Would you trust someone with both a cashiers check and a money order for the same item? 2x the agreed upon amount.

Red flags everywhere

He apparently wants to punish me for not following his request. I made a mistake, thinking it wasn't a big deal. I was thinking that he had to go to the bank anyway. My bad.

If hge wants to sell me the item, fine. Either cash the check or send it back.....I won't send another $700+. That would be crazy

well, I get that you might be friends with him.
Yes, lesson learned. I will only buy using paypal or something similar, and never buy from someone who doesn't have a phone.
and fyi...cashiers checks clear immediately, or within 24 hours. I had no idea that CC were known to be bogus. I have used a mo or cc maybe twice in my life.

It is simple. Barry could just send it back using the stamped envelope that I mailed.

waste of time...that's BS. He agreed to ship, so that should have been factored into the sell price or the shipping cost. If it wasn't, that's on him.

If I need to wait the 90 days and pay the fee, that's what I will do and then move on.
I’m no more friends with him than anybody else, I just see his side of the story because I’m a seller. Look at my previous post where a guy gave me a personal check after we had all his parts loaded, and asked me to wait a week to cash it. That gives him a week, and I had to put the check through my bank, which I did. Why? Because he assured me the check was good. So I waited until he called and said OK, then I cashed it through my bank. I’m taking the chance, and he already has the parts. Could be the same scenario with your transaction, who knows. You obviously don’t trust him, as you said so, and he doesn’t trust you either.

can't believe people are bending over backwards defending this "rock solid" jerkoff
So, now he has been called a scammer, doucebag, and a jerkoff, all because someone else can’t follow simple directions? Nice!!

well, I'm pretty sure he's not a scammer. A cranky old man...perhaps
a jerk....I have to agree with that.

Curious, what would you do if you were him? send back the check or tear it up?

well, I'm pretty sure he's not a scammer. A cranky old man...perhaps
a jerk....I have to agree with that.

Curious, what would you do if you were him? send back the check or tear it up?
I would send it back.

funny how the "stand up guy who is always willing to help" can't spare a walk to the mailbox to "help out" a fellow Mopar guy who made a simple, honest mistake; and considers "helping out" a "waste of time"......... guess he never made any "mistakes"

By the way, money orders are faked more than any other payment. Cashiers checks are faked but nowhere near as bad as money orders. I walked into a post office to cash a postal money order, and the clerk told me he had to make it was real. He said you wouldn’t believe how many of these come in every day that they have to deny.

My understanding is that a Surety Bond must be posted for a lost Cashier's Check!
Also there is a significant waiting time to resolve the matter and get your money back.
I really do not understand why he will not send the check back to you = That would be
best outcome!

By the way, money orders are faked more than any other payment. Cashiers checks are faked but nowhere near as bad as money orders. I walked into a post office to cash a postal money order, and the clerk told me he had to make it was real. He said you wouldn’t believe how many of these come in every day that they have to deny.
My point exactly. You walk into the post office with the parts and a postal money order. They check to verify if it’s real right then and there. If it’s not, you leave with the parts. If you take a cashiers check to the bank and they cash it, or you deposit it, and it turns up to be fake, they take the money back out of your account, and you’ve already sent the parts, you’re out the money and the parts.

Not saying that the OP was sending a bogus cashiers check, but if Barry had been burned like that before, it’s probably the reason he doesn’t want cashiers checks as payment.

My point exactly. You walk into the post office with the parts and a postal money order. They check to verify if it’s real right then and there. If it’s not, you leave with the parts. If you take a cashiers check to the bank and they cash it, or you deposit it, and it turns up to be fake, they take the money back out of your account, and you’ve already sent the parts, you’re out the money and the parts.

Not saying that the OP was sending a bogus cashiers check, but if Barry had been burned like that before, it’s probably the reason he doesn’t want cashiers checks as payment.
The post office held the money order, he wouldn’t cash it right away. He said he’ll have to wait 10 days or longer, took my name and number. Why have an a postal money order if you can’t even cash it at the post office?

There was a Long John Silvers combined with a Taco Bell here, but the LJS went away, and the Taco Bell remained.
The only A&W that was local to my calfornia place closed up years ago. I thought they were done and gone. Out of curiosity brought on by another thread, I found out that there is one about five miles from my house that I didn't even know existed....

The post office held the money order, he wouldn’t cash it right away. He said he’ll have to wait 10 days or longer, took my name and number. Why have an a postal money order if you can’t even cash it at the post office?
But, you would still have the parts, and not be out any money if it was bogus. If that happens at the bank, they take the money right back out of your account, and if you’ve sent the parts already, thinking the check was good, you’re out both!

Auto Transport Service
Back