• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front end rattle after replacing EVERYTHING

DAMatt

Local time
10:46 AM
Reaction score
Please give me a clue...

My right front wheel is rattling when hitting imperfections in the road.

I put in the PST rubber front end kit, new torsion bars, new qa1 DA shocks, new UCAs, rebuilt LCAs with PST kit, but still when riding over bumps, it rattles like the caliper is not bolted into place.

Now I purchased a set of caliper clips, the large & small anti-rattle clips. Put the kit on the caliper, rattle went away. But after driving for about an hour, it came back. Took the wheel off, nothing was out of place. Took the clips off & put them back in, again, rattle stopped but after half an hour driving came back.

Inspected again, nothing out of place (again). If I think of it, when loosening the bolt that holds the upper clips, I heard a small metalic clunk like something moving over a small distance. I think I heard it the last time also. Have no clue as to what it is, everything looks ok. Is this a clue as to what is happening?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I also snapped a couple of pics. See anything wrong? (Beside a '73 single piston caliper on a '68)

20230727_200258.jpg

20230727_200306.jpg

I had a clunk in my left side of my Charger. I had the common 73-76 A body disc brake knuckle/spindle.
My noise turned out to be the 2 bolts that secure the caliper bracket to the knuckle/spindle. One was about 3/4 turn from being tight.
I backed them out, cleaned them with a wire wheel and slathered them with red LOCKTITE and screwed them back in.
No more trouble since.

Did you bend the tabs on the pads so the clamp on the caliper body?

Thanks for the tips:
The bilts holding the bracket to the spindle are OK. Also, the kit I bought had the clips pre bent so that when they are bolted down, they are under tension.

So far, took the clips out, put it back on, and strangely it doesn't rattle anymore.

Think he meant the tabs on the break pads themselve to the caliper. You can see the top one on the right of the rattle clip.

Think he meant the tabs on the break pads themselve to the caliper. You can see the top one on the right of the rattle clip.
Glad i read this thread.. doing mine this week and would have missed that

I have hit the pad tabs with a hammer for years. Hold the pad vertical and whack them. It's amazing how far you have to move them. Get them bent enought so you have to "snap" the pad onto the caliper.
Doug

If anybody would know it would be Joel from Joels on Joy. He knows more about valve bodies than anyone on the planet.
Doug

Please give me a clue...

I put in the PST rubber front end kit, new torsion bars, new qa1 DA shocks, new UCAs, rebuilt LCAs with PST kit, but still when riding over bumps, it rattles like the caliper is not bolted into place.

Now I purchased a set of caliper clips, the large & small anti-rattle clips. Put the kit on the caliper, rattle went away. But after driving for about an hour, it came back. Took the wheel off, nothing was out of place. Took the clips off & put them back in, again, rattle stopped but after half an hour driving came back.

Inspected again, nothing out of place (again). If I think of it, when loosening the bolt that holds the upper clips, I heard a small metalic clunk like something moving over a small distance. I think I heard it the last time also. Have no clue as to what it is, everything looks ok. Is this a clue as to what is happening?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I also snapped a couple of pics. See anything wrong? (Beside a '73 single piston caliper on a '68)

View attachment 1500863

View attachment 1500864
I was having the same issue on my 64 Polara with the same caliper and clip system. The front end would clunk over irregular road surfaces and on hard braking. Drove me bananas. The issue was those caliper pad clips AND the tabs on the disc pads. Once I adjusted BOTH items, it was like the old Simon and Garfunkle song - the sounds of silence. Problem solved.

Please give me a clue...

View attachment 1500863

View attachment 1500864
From the pictures it looks like the passenger side brake caliper is upside down.

If you go to the Dr Diff website and click on the 10.95" Front Disc Kit (Stage 1) at the bottom there is an exploded view and a description of the need to bend the tabs prevent pad rattle.
It looks like you have the same brakes.

Went on Dr Diff's website, would have not ever suspected that, were it not for the pointer... just wow.

Thanks a bunch!

Auto Transport Service
Back