• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front wheels at angle

mopardrummer

Local time
7:11 AM
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, but I've been into Mopars for years!! I recently rebuilt the front end on my 72 Charger. It was a pain, but well worth it. I decided to put new rotors and wheel bearings on after the rebuild, really had no choice. My dillema is the new rotors are different than those that I took off, but every parts house I checked had the exact same rotors. To make them work you have to change the bearings. I did that, but now the wheels rub on the calipers and sit at an angle. Is it possible that the inner wheel bearings are sitting too far up the spindle causing this? I've replace breakes and rotors on a number of cars and never had this problem. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

The inner wheel bearing should always seat against the step of the stub axle. As for the wheels sitting on an angle, have you tried removing the calipers and bolting the wheels back on.......do they sit straight?

It does sound like the rotors have the wrong offset,but if that were the case you'd also have rotor to caliper alignment issues too?

Thanks for the repy. I have tried putting them on without the caliper and they still sit cockeyed. I think that that the inner bearing is sliding about the area that it should seat against. I went and bought new bearings tonight and plan to put them on tomorrow. If the bearings are sitting to far up the spindle do you think this would cause the problem? It's the only thing that I can think of.

Using your old rotors and bearings(off the car) put the bearings into the rotor where they would normally seat......measure the total distance between the flat faces of the inner and outer bearing.
Do the same with the new parts....is the measurement the same?

It might also pay to check the back spacing of the new and old rotors ......pretty much the same way you'd check the backspace of a rim.

I take it this car has factory disc brakes?

Sooo....what was the verdict on this one mopardrummer???

Auto Transport Service
Back