• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel cell questions

Here is a pix of the 5 gal aluminum cell when it was in my 66 Coronet. I transfered it to my 64 Hemi Car. Pretty nice piece for about $40. I have had it for about 2 years in 2 separate cars with NO problems at all.

20180729_153749.jpg

The '71 Charger has a 20-gallon aluminum fuel cell/tank with foam. It is pretty basic tank/cell, not one of the Fuel safes that are designed to stay intact in a crash (internal bladder, shielded.)
For racing, there are some rules. Because mounting the cell high above the rear wheels will help weight transfer on lunching the car in drag racing, Per NHRA, the top of the fuel cell must be below the top of the tires. With a high mounted cell, side-to-side cornering / handling will be less stable than if mounted lower in the car.
In straight line acceleration, fuel slosh (no foam) is not much of a big deal, unless the fuel pickup is uncovered.
In a car designed for handling/cornering you don't want fuel slosh, and moving the cell closer to the center of the car helps more, but most old cars would need major modification to have the cell located under the passenger compartment. Many newer cars locate the fuel cell below the rear seat area (under the floorboard) for better handling, weight distribution, and protection from rear end crashes.
Remember that the fuel is moving dynamically from the vehicles acceleration forces. Having a large high mounted, unbaffled, tank/cell behind the rear wheels can cause the rear end to kick out like being hit with a pit maneuver, if all the fuel sloshes to one side quickly.
Part of the fuel slosh issue is with a full tank, it is heavy, but there is no room for the fuel to move, so not much weight transfer side-to-side, but 1/2 full the fuel can change the side-to side weight going around corners quite a bit depending on the volume and the width of the fuel tank.
Think long, narrow, short is better than wide, short, and tall for a handling vehicle.

And, yes, I spun out (and flipped) my 1985 RamCharger going around a corner too fast. 1/2 tank or a bit more fuel in the 35-gallon unbaffled tank located behind rear tires on a short wheelbase 4x4. That is over 100 pounds of fuel sloshing from side to side.
A bit more dynamics going on in the accident. At first making the left hand turn with too much throttle (OK, I was drifting the truck a bit), and when I went to correct by turning right all the fuel that was at the right side of the tank quickly sloshed over to the left side of the tank, and the back end if the RamCharger kicked out and kept going left to where the truck spun a 180. While on the brakes sliding backwards (almost stopped), the left rear tire caught a curb, and the truck tipped over on its side.

I would not mount an alum cell by the tabs provided alone. I have have seen where the welded on tabs tear the cell if your car leaves hard enough from the weight of the fuel in the cell. I made a cage to go around mine in addition to the tabs.

I ended up going with. 16 gal jegs cell. I opted for one with a sending u it, even though I know I may have to replace it to get it to work with my stock guage. Got the fittings on, now just relocating the fuel pump from up in the axle tunnel to down on the frame rail. Still have to decide how & where I’m going to run the vent tube through the pan. There’s a few rubber plugs in there, I’ll most likely just run it through one of those. I’m leaning towards using one of the ones directly under the cell so it’ll look a little cleaner inside the trunk.

0FE71C26-EB26-408B-AA53-BFA5496F465B.jpeg 19D278B4-77FE-450D-9BDF-CA83C0CEC592.jpeg

I ended up going with. 16 gal jegs cell. I opted for one with a sending u it, even though I know I may have to replace it to get it to work with my stock guage. Got the fittings on, now just relocating the fuel pump from up in the axle tunnel to down on the frame rail. Still have to decide how & where I’m going to run the vent tube through the pan. There’s a few rubber plugs in there, I’ll most likely just run it through one of those. I’m leaning towards using one of the ones directly under the cell so it’ll look a little cleaner inside the trunk.

View attachment 1026009 View attachment 1026010
I believe you are also required to block off the behind the seat in case of fire.
I ran my vent out the bottom of the pan slightly lower than the bottom of the cell & with a rollover check. Also installed a small filter on the end to prevent anything from crawling up the tube.

View attachment 1026018

20200802_125819.jpg

View attachment 1026009 View attachment 1026010
—-
You’re making good progress LW. Have you thought about a fuel shut off in your line? They’re about 25 bucks and pretty handy when installed prior to the inline filter and pump. Saves draining the fuel prior to filter cleanings or pump mtce.
image.jpg

Keep up the good work!

I believe you are also required to block off the behind the seat in case of fire.
I ran my vent out the bottom of the pan slightly lower than the bottom of the cell & with a rollover check. Also installed a small filter on the end to prevent anything from crawling up the tube.

View attachment 1026018

View attachment 1026019

Yes, A rear firewall is on my “to-do” list. I’m minitubbing, so there’s a lot to be addressed in that neighborhood.

—-
You’re making good progress LW. Have you thought about a fuel shut off in your line? They’re about 25 bucks and pretty handy when installed prior to the inline filter and pump. Saves draining the fuel prior to filter cleanings or pump mtce.
View attachment 1026021
Keep up the good work!

that’s a good call, Malex. I do not have one (yet). Unfortunately, I’ve already blown WAY past by budget, and I still have some big ticket stuff to pay for, so little items like that valve will have to wait.

am I the only one that just can’t seem to accurately budget a project!?!? I’m taking mouthful of stripe on this deal... the wife’s beginning to question things... LoL

Yes, A rear firewall is on my “to-do” list. I’m minitubbing, so there’s a lot to be addressed in that neighborhood.

that’s a good call, Malex. I do not have one (yet). Unfortunately, I’ve already blown WAY past by budget, and I still have some big ticket stuff to pay for, so little items like that valve will have to wait.

am I the only one that just can’t seem to accurately budget a project!?!? I’m taking mouthful of stripe on this deal... the wife’s beginning to question things... LoL
—-
The banker is doing audit hey, lol. No worries, a shut off can be cut in at any time. And yep, there’s always something extra and that’s why Summit has that thing called wish list. And if the Mrs is wondering what to buy you for Christmas, just say check the wish list Honey!
But this is what I did for a shut off on my Dart. I have my cell sunk into the donut too and it’s an easy reach from behind the car.
C10C6E57-52B5-4F31-8590-4B7CE189A7C3.jpeg

32E8E316-95EF-4B4D-9829-C9733DA8F9C4.png

Last edited:
—-
The banker is doing audit hey, lol. No worries, a shut off can be cut in at any time. And yep, there’s always something extra and that’s why Summit has that thing called wish list. And if the Mrs is wondering what to buy you for Christmas, just say check the wish list Honey!
But this is what I did for a shut off on my Dart. I have my cell sunk into the donut too and it’s an easy reach from behind the car.
View attachment 1026036
View attachment 1026042
Wish I would have thought about that!!!
One other thing I did do was to mount an inertia switch ahead of my fuel pump relay in case of a wreck.
I know some people use an oil psi switch but I've seen few collisions/wrecks where the engines stayed running.
The switch also makes a good theft deterrent, its mounted on the side of my battery box and I can thump it to trip it and viola!!! No pump, no fuel to the efi so no one can start it.

NO!
In the 70's, my bracket racing buddy's & I developed the "X2 theory". List all items you think of with projected cost, then double it, that's the more accurate budget. It was fairly close then. I bet it's more like 2 1/2 times now. Little things add up so quick. Good luck!

While still building my Belvedere I have really taken a hit just by purchasing small fasteners (mainly at my local ACE hardware). I am tracking every penny the project is costing and already have over $80,000.00 invested (I know-piss poor investment). I still need paint, upholstery, custom drive shaft and probably some misc. At my age this is probably my last major build, hell I started this car in 2009.
Mike

Found a picture of mine mounted with the frame I made to box it in and help hold it in place.

rsz_20160702_220108_002.jpg

Found a picture of mine mounted with the frame I made to box it in and help hold it in place.

View attachment 1026120
—-
Our set ups are somewhat similar 6PK. Except I have a shut off valve and filter before the pump. Could be that I saw a picture of yours a couple years back and went off of it. Who knows.
B0EE6107-7E33-4616-A292-E4546F9E578D.jpeg

I have never had a need to shut the fuel off. However, it's not a bad idea to have one. I may have to add one to my line before the pump.

Mine is mounted with tabs. I thought about straps over the top. Total weight with a full tank is less than 40lbs for my cell. I seemed the tabs of sufficient strength. As always going the extra mile is never a bad thing.
Doug

0203131657.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back