• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel cell questions

LemonWedge

Local time
12:21 PM
Reaction score
I’m looking at Fuel cells, and have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to run the factory fuel gauge in my 67Satellite From a fuel cell sending unit.

2. I see differing opinions of foam filled vs. no foam. What’s the straight scoop?

3. For a bracket car that sees a little street time, is there a disadvantage to bigger (16 gal) cells?

thanks in advance-
LW

I have a 16 gallon jaz fuel cell, and just got my factory gas gauge working. You need a 70-30 ohm sending unit. As far as the foam. Mine has foam, don't know of any advantages or disadvantages of having foam.

As Aron has stated you need a Mopar rated sending unit (most come with GM units). The foam controls fuel "slosh" to keep the pickup covered in fuel. I think it also minimizes vapor volume in the cell.
Mike

My '66 Satellite has a 16 gal foam filled cell. Seems just fine. Sixteen gallons doesn't go real far with mine on the street, so I wouldn't consider any less for any street driving. My Arrow had a foam filled 8 gal. If you plan to go rounds in bracket racing, I wouldn't go smaller than that. My race cars used nearly a gallon per run. I want a foam filled version to control slosh.

Tanks inc & others make a float less tube style sending unit for cells. That'd what I have in mine but still being in the construction stage I have yet to fill it with more than 3 gal at a time so I cant say how well it works.
There is also an electronic sending unit corrector, I posted about it a while back, they are supposed to help you dial any sending unit in exactly.
Mine has foam which is fine for an external pump, but if you are going to convert to an in tank I beleive you will have to cut it out around the pick up.

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=346/mode=prod/prd346.htm

If you run a larger cell without foam the fuel will slosh if not completely full. Fuel is 6.5 lbs per gallon. That’s moveable weight and .0065 in ET per gallon. We top the tank (5 gallon) every run to stay on index. Do you want to run 15 gallons of fuel all the time? If not it’s a smaller cell or foam.
Doug

I have a 16 gallon jaz fuel cell, and just got my factory gas gauge working. You need a 70-30 ohm sending unit. As far as the foam. Mine has foam, don't know of any advantages or disadvantages of having foam.
I’m looking at Fuel cells, and have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to run the factory fuel gauge in my 67Satellite From a fuel cell sending unit.

2. I see differing opinions of foam filled vs. no foam. What’s the straight scoop?

3. For a bracket car that sees a little street time, is there a disadvantage to bigger (16 gal) cells?

thanks in advance-
LW
Hello LemonWedge. Just curious if you run a return line? And would it be worth it for me? I'm running a holley black pump that puts out 14lbs.

Yeah LW I'm sure it's a 0-90 ohm GM type sender that fuel cells come with. You'll need to change it to run with your dash gauge. I put a 16 gallon cell in my Dart, the 64 has an 8 gallon, foam in both. Switching to a cell is a good choice IMO.
* the paint stick wedged under my bracket is my fuel gauge. I have a hole drilled into it at the 5 gallon spot.
IMG_3314.jpg

Last edited:
I use a wood lath that shows the level very clearly. It slides down nicely into the foam & is accurate. I also have the correct sender, but I don't have a lot of confidence in the accuracy of the gauge reading.

I have had a jaz plastic fuel cell in my plymouth for at least 20 years, with no sign of problems from the foam. If i had it to do over again, i would buy a bigger one. My plymouth has an eight gallon cell, with room for lots more (gasoline weight at the rear for traction/ballast if neccessary, can run mostly empty if not), my little car has only a five gallon cell, thats all that would fit between the tubs.

I would imagine a fellow can select bung size when purchasing a fuel cell. Both of my cells came with #8. 1/2”. I had to increase the hole size when I changed up to #10.

I would imagine a fellow can select bung size when purchasing a fuel cell. Both of my cells came with #8. 1/2”. I had to increase the hole size when I changed up to #10.
Mine too. I just used a Y on the one cell, so i could use both -8s, got smart on the small car, blocked off one side, opened the other to -10.

I used both -8's Y to a -10 into the 10" inline filter, -10 into the pump and out with -8/ 1/2" to the regulator, -8 to both bowls, -8/1/2" return.

Mine came with 2 -8. Used one as a drain. Swapped the other to a -12. No need for the 2 into 1 complexity.
Doug

Mine came with 2 -8. Used one as a drain. Swapped the other to a -12. No need for the 2 into 1 complexity.
Doug
—-
On my aluminum cell there are 2 bungs with 1/2” NPT. To enlarge one of those I would imagine a fellow would have to drill out and run a larger tap through? Or perhaps just drill out and install a bulkhead fitting. Not sure what guys do.

—-
On my aluminum cell there are 2 bungs with 1/2” NPT. To enlarge one of those I would imagine a e -fellow would have to drill out and run a larger tap through? Or perhaps just drill out and install a bulkhead fitting. what guys do.
Mines aluminum as well. We cut the -8 fitting out and welded in a -12.
Doug

I ordered a Jegs plastic 12-gal unit Along with their mounting strap kit. It does have a sending unit (that I’ll likely have to change out) but does not have foam. I’ll see how this goes, and figure if ai end up deciding that I need to control fuel slosh & aeration, I’ll add foam or something to baffle it. One suggestion I heard was to use waffle-balls.

The off-season parts chase is coming together. But as we all know, that’s the easy part. This winter will be a busy one.

My fuel cell had a 240-33 ohm sending unit. It only took me about 17 years to get the urge to have the factory gas gauge working again.

I bought a 5 gallon Aluminum Fuel Cell of Amazon. Only about $40 and it is a very nice piece.
No foam. I fill it full on every run to have the same weight to be consistant. And with it being full I have no concern about gas sloshing around. It came with mounting lugs welded to the bottom so I didn't need straps.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back