• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Issues

rebootej

Local time
7:48 PM
Reaction score
Hey ive got fuel issue with my 74 Satellite. When the car idles for a while once up to temp, I've noticed the the fuel level in my filter starts off full of gas and drops to to about empty. The car is a moderately built 318 with a 625 road demon and a stock mechanical fuel pump. Any idea whats causing this level drop? Do i need a better mechanical or electric pump? The car keeps running but it develops stumble with a fast rev. Thanks for any advice.

Fuel pump could be weak. A test would be to undo the fuel line at the carb. Disable the ignition. Run the fuel line into a container and crank for 20 seconds and measure how much you get

Hey ive got fuel issue with my 74 Satellite. When the car idles for a while once up to temp, I've noticed the the fuel level in my filter starts off full of gas and drops to to about empty. The car is a moderately built 318 with a 625 road demon and a stock mechanical fuel pump. Any idea whats causing this level drop? Do i need a better mechanical or electric pump? The car keeps running but it develops stumble with a fast rev. Thanks for any advice.

One key thing you stated is that once up to temperature this happens. I wonder if you are fighting vapor lock? Do any lines run near the headers? Maybe you are overheating the fuel...

Just a thought.

Thanks for the advice guys.

How much fuel should i get from a 20 second crank?

The closest place the fuel line gets to the headers is where it runs along the frame rail and i covered that with heat shielding tubing. What else can i do to prevent that?

Thanks for the advice guys.

How much fuel should i get from a 20 second crank?

The closest place the fuel line gets to the headers is where it runs along the frame rail and i covered that with heat shielding tubing. What else can i do to prevent that?
If my math is correct about 10 ounces.

Auto Transport Service
Back