• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel System Questions

I have only made 4 passes with this motor so far if I can run 10.50s that would be great! Going to hopefully do test this weekend. Question about test I can run just one out feed line from regulator to gas can or should I do both?
—-
Checking with both sides would be the proper way. You could start by checking the one side and see what you flow at. May not have to check both.

I think the best way would be to put your fuel bowls (assuming a holley style carb) in a bucket. That way you can check what your needle and seat flow too. Not everybody has plumbing that allows this. Mine has braided line to both bowls from the regulator on the inner fender. (Aids in jet changes too, dont have to remove the lines, just the bowl screws.)

A couple observations. When ever any change nets huge gains, something was really messed up bad. I don’t believe the flow test was ever meant to run thru the needle and seat. Needle and seat flow is a known entity. You are looking for supply to the carb. If your system passes the test using one line it’ll for sure get the job done. Two lines flow more than one. With all the zoomy fuel systems out there it’s hard to believe that anyone was ever able to run easy mid nines on one Holley blue and 3/8” line.
Doug

A couple observations. When ever any change nets huge gains, something was really messed up bad. I don’t believe the flow test was ever meant to run thru the needle and seat. Needle and seat flow is a known entity. You are looking for supply to the carb. If your system passes the test using one line it’ll for sure get the job done. Two lines flow more than one. With all the zoomy fuel systems out there it’s hard to believe that anyone was ever able to run easy mid nines on one Holley blue and 3/8” line.
Doug
Agree. There was something seriously wrong in my car that got corrected in the fuel cell install. I am not attributing that improvement simply to the cell, i'm sure it was either a plumbing or regulator problem.

I think the best way would be to put your fuel bowls (assuming a holley style carb) in a bucket. That way you can check what your needle and seat flow too. Not everybody has plumbing that allows this. Mine has braided line to both bowls from the regulator on the inner fender. (Aids in jet changes too, dont have to remove the lines, just the bowl screws.)
I have 2 eddy 750s on a crossram.

I have 2 eddy 750s on a crossram.
—-
I had the exact same set up, identical to your system except no return line. You won’t look back by upgrading to a fuel cell and checking/having adequate fuel volume.
Is your crossram the Indy 440-25?

—-
I had the exact same set up, identical to your system except no return line. You won’t look back by upgrading to a fuel cell and checking/having adequate fuel volume.
Is your crossram the Indy 440-25?
Factory Style

Factory Style
—-
That’s interesting. You’re running 10.8’s with it already. Will be interesting to see some new numbers.
Curious what your 64 weighs, gears and combo. Is that intake reworked at all?

—-
That’s interesting. You’re running 10.8’s with it already. Will be interesting to see some new numbers.
Curious what your 64 weighs, gears and combo. Is that intake reworked at all?
No not yet the best the 505 cross ram ran was 11.24. I had a iron headed 440 with a single 4bbl that ran a best of 10.86. It normally ran 11.0s. I put the 505 in the way I ran it with the 440 with plans of making upgrades in future. Not the way to do it but I wanted to see the difference. I did not get results I was hoping for. So now I'm upgrading to get car dialed in. I upgraded cooling system working on fuel system and next dana 60 and ladder bars. The goal is 10.50s. The car is all steel 3680 with me. The intake is stock. I will have lots of questions in the future. Thanks

No not yet the best the 505 cross ram ran was 11.24. I had a iron headed 440 with a single 4bbl that ran a best of 10.86. It normally ran 11.0s. I put the 505 in the way I ran it with the 440 with plans of making upgrades in future. Not the way to do it but I wanted to see the difference. I did not get results I was hoping for. So now I'm upgrading to get car dialed in. I upgraded cooling system working on fuel system and next dana 60 and ladder bars. The goal is 10.50s. The car is all steel 3680 with me. The intake is stock. I will have lots of questions in the future. Thanks
—-
Not sure how healthy that 505 is but 10.50’s should be doable with that factory cross ram, with some weight out of the old girl. I have never run a wedge cross ram but it’s going to rob you of some HP according to the general consensus. Looking forward to following your progress.

—-
Not sure how healthy that 505 is but 10.50’s should be doable with that factory cross ram, with some weight out of the old girl. I have never run a wedge cross ram but it’s going to rob you of some HP according to the general consensus. Looking forward to following your progress.
I know the cross ram will cost me it's mostly for the look. The 505 is a 440 source kit 10.75 to 1. I got indy EZ heads and comp solid roller cam (264/270 dur 630 lift) from PRH.

I run 2 750 eddy's on A&A factory crossram, 493ci, indy little ez heads small roller .620 lift. at 3400lbs car runs 10.40's thru the mufflers. I ran the aeromotive ss pump and dead head regulator for years, switched to magnafuel 300 with return and their 4 port regulator, saw zero improvement. I have actually had to put the aeromotive pump back on at the track cause the magnafuel started leaking, again zero difference in ET. I run just under 6psi fuel pressure

DSCN0175.JPG

I run a magna fuel 500 with the filter dead headed into a 4 port regulator.

View attachment 1089422
I finally got a chance to do fuel pump test yesterday. I checked both ports out of regulator and both took 35+ seconds to fill a gallon can. My first thing to try is install fuel cell and make sure fuel supply is good.

I finally got a chance to do fuel pump test yesterday. I checked both ports out of regulator and both took 35+ seconds to fill a gallon can. My first thing to try is install fuel cell and make sure fuel supply is good.
—-
Yep, that’s right about where mine ran at too. You’re going about it right. Check it again once that fuel cell is in place. On my Dart project I’m running 1/2” fuel line but I’m running a 350 GPH pump. I didn’t do a flow test but it sure belts the fuel out. I’ll do a flow test in the days ahead and see what it flows, I’ll get back to you.

—-
While installing new brass floats in my 770’s today I did a fuel check for comparison for you.
My system is:
11202 Pump. 350GPH,
Magna Fuel dead head regulator,
Regulator Pressure 5.5 PSI
1/2” #8 Fuel line from fuel cell to Carbs.
Fuel line removed from one carb to can:
1 full gallon in 20 seconds.
E13A9387-3816-4790-9F3A-20526520DADC.jpeg

6F6C3D48-5BE8-4DED-A747-370AA62CA0AF.jpeg

7B52F73B-E364-46CA-AE80-7DA25932CE26.jpeg

Last edited:
—-
While installing new brass floats in my 770’s today I did a fuel check for comparison for you.
My system is:
11203 Pump. 350GPH,
Magna Fuel dead head regulator,
Regulator Pressure 5.5 PSI
1/2” #8 Fuel line from fuel cell to Carbs.
Fuel line removed from one carb to can:
1 full gallon in 20 seconds.
View attachment 1098010
View attachment 1098008
View attachment 1098009
Thanks for the info When I get the kids car out of garage I will figure mine out and let you know

Thanks for the info When I get the kids car out of garage I will figure mine out and let you know
—-
Yeah I think that once you get the fuel cell in place and do a flow check you’ll still be at about 1 gallon at 35 seconds. The good news is that a larger pump will work with your existing 1/2” line and give you lots more volume.
Good luck!

—-
Yeah I think that once you get the fuel cell in place and do a flow check you’ll still be at about 1 gallon at 35 seconds. The good news is that a larger pump will work with your existing 1/2” line and give you lots more volume.
Good luck!
I finally got fuel cell, new pump, regulator and filter installed. I ran the car out on the road last weekend held 5-1/2 psi no more creeping. Hopefully next year can take it the strip.

Auto Transport Service
Back