• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

funny noise

lvmymopar

Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
I have a 66 Dodge Coronet 440. I notice a popping noise coming from the passenger side front, under the car. I had one place look at it and said the ball joint was bad. I had another mechanic look at it and he said everything was fine and all new in the suspension. He said that was the way the B body unibody frames were. Should I get a third opinion? When you back up it makes a noise and when you put on the brakes sometimes in makes a noise. Just on the passenger side.

Definitely get it checked out. Sounds like a ball joint, bad things will happen if it breaks.

check strut rod bushings where they run through k-frame sometimes they look ok on out side but all the rubber is gone inside k-frame if so control arms will move around and make all kinds of noise.

Drum Brakes will make all kinds of freaky noises if they are worn, poorly assembled and out of adjustment. Start by jacking the car under the control arm and checking everything for looseness and wear, it is 44 years old. Many of todays 'mechanics' are not familiar with 4 wheel drum brakes operation and correct adjustment.

There are several things this could be, and most of them go from being bad to worse. Find someone you can trust and have them evaluate the car. Please try to pin this down as quickly as possible, as it is definitely a safety issue.

Good luck.

Shame. There arent that many good "front-end" guys anymore. With FWD, caster and camber are usually no longer adjustable. Most simply know how to adjust toe. Look around and ask around. Ball joint is a simple test you can do yourself. There are alot of rubber bushings in a B-body suspension that will make a noise when they go. Strut rods, control arm bushings, etc.

Thanks Sundance! Great way to help alot of folks that are intimidated by front-ends.

Well I have had 4 different places look at my car. First one found a loose upper ball joint nut. Tightened that. Noise still there. Another place found a loose ujoint for the drive shaft. Tightened that. Noise still there. Another place couldnt find anything else. Everything has been replaced. Bushing all look good. Ball joints are good. No rubbing pattern anywhere. Someone else thinks it may be the brake pad that is loose in the caliper that is making the noise. Les Schwab looked at that and it is loose on that side. They tried to tighten it but still makes that noise. Someone else said it could be the frame shifting because there is no subframe. So now I dont know. I looked under car with my husband and everything looks good to us also. Any ideas?

Exactly what conditions have to be present for the noise to be heard? Moving? Bumps? Sitting still turning the wheel?

You haven't mentioned the lower control arm bushing.....has that been replaced too? Also check the torsion bar anchors.

Taking the car to another shop today that deals with suspension. Hope they figure it out. The time I notice the noise the most is when you first start the car and then put it in reverse it makes the clunk noise. Sometimes when you sit and turn the wheel back and forth it will clunk. Mostly noise is when you turn car and go over big bumps. It also makes noise when you slow down to turn a corner it will make the noise. But you can also hear the noise when you just move the car forward and backwards when you put the brakes on to change it from reverse to drive. Flustrated!

Also check to make sure the steering box is tight....seen that happen before....

Well I guess the fifth time is a charm. Someone finally figured it out. The brake caliper and or bracket was loose. No more noise. It is scary to think that I had to take it to 5 different shops for someone to finally figure it out.

Shame. There arent that many good "front-end" guys anymore. With FWD, caster and camber are usually no longer adjustable. Most simply know how to adjust toe. Look around and ask around. Ball joint is a simple test you can do yourself. There are alot of rubber bushings in a B-body suspension that will make a noise when they go. Strut rods, control arm bushings, etc.

Isn't that the truth. Same goes for transmissions,and carburetors and...we're the last of a dying breed-folks who can repair their ride without a computer and scan tool.

I got lucky;mt gf's boss is also a classic car guy(gorgeous '58 Impala convertible and his wife's got a '66 big-block 'Vette),and he recommended a place nearby that knew how to align an older Mopar front end. They did a great job-and were grateful that I had replaced all the components prior to the work!

Lvmymopar;ask around,and I'm sure you'll find an older shop with "old-car" experience. Get that stuff checked and fixed. Like Iraqivet said,BAD things can happen. The voice of experience...

Well why didn't you say it had disc brakes on it in the beginning! lol I've run into the same problem before with a loose caliper or pad rattle but I just don't think about disc brakes when it comes to a 66 Coronet 440 lol

Auto Transport Service
Back