• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage roof gutter - Storm Guard

SlinktRR

Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking to protect the roof rake/soffits on a garage from water damage, there is a gutter that sometimes overflows in very heavy rainfall and the moisture can find it's way to the wood. I found a product from GAF called storm guard, it is a peel and stick underlayment meant to protect from wind driven water and ice dams. It's meant to be installed at the roof edge during a full roof installation but I was wondering if anyone has used something like this for added moisture barrier.

If the gutters not that important, just delete it? I 've never heard of what you're talking about, but I don't see why not? :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

PERIOD !!
Just askin! But yes that is a good point. May just take the gutter down but foundations are trouble down in TX because of the clay soil. We have to water our foundations here, but not during a storm!

We refer to it as “ice and water shield” it’s common to run 2 rows before shingles.

It is required to be installed on the edge of the roof at the eaves and in valleys. I have a friend who builds expensive homes who uses it under all the shingles on a roof. It is a self healing membrane so it seals around the nails. Certain types can not be used under metal roofs since they have a granular top surface.

I'm looking to protect the roof rake/soffits on a garage from water damage, there is a gutter that sometimes overflows in very heavy rainfall and the moisture can find it's way to the wood. I found a product from GAF called storm guard, it is a peel and stick underlayment meant to protect from wind driven water and ice dams. It's meant to be installed at the roof edge during a full roof installation but I was wondering if anyone has used something like this for added moisture barrier.
Ice and water shield
Mandatory in the northern climates
not a substitute for a poorly designed roof or hip.
Also needs to go down before the roofing. Are you reroofing?
change the gutter to the proper size or add more down spouts

How big is your roof and how wide is your gutter? I had 4" gutters with 2x3" downspouts and they were always plugging up, way too small. When we did roofing, I went to 5" and 3x4" downspouts and they stay quite clean.

20200827_082409 (1).jpg

Last edited:
How big is your roof and how wide is your gutter? I had 4" gutters with 2x3" downspouts and they were always plugging up, way too small. When we did roofing, I went to 5" and 3x4" downspouts and they stay quite clean.

View attachment 1345466
I went 3x4 too, and 6” gutters. Solved my problem.

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to look into more downspouts (nice house, mike!) that is the best way to go. Not due for roof yet but will use the storm guard for that job as suggested.

It is called "ice guard" in Ontario as well. When I built my place it was building code that it had to be installed on the lower courses of the roof. I instructed the roofer to cover the whole roof and he balked? at the expense even though I was paying. The roof of my house and garage is quite large and at the time it only added $800 to the cost. Within a year we lost the majority of the roof shingles due to a small tornado (no structural damage fortunately). The ice guard membrane was intact and prevented water damage through the exposed roof until repaired. A different roofing contractor was contracted on the second go around. I would highly recommend the ice or water guard, even for the whole roof.

Auto Transport Service
Back