• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gen II Charger Looking at 18" rims and tires what fits well

69hemibeep

Local time
12:10 AM
Reaction score
My daughter insists on 18's. Maybe a 7" front wheel 10" rear and what size tire works without clearance issues?

My daughter insists on 18's. Maybe a 7" front wheel 10" rear and what size tire works without clearance issues?
May be a but of a challenge putting 18's on, it can be done, but clearence issues are possible.

Just keep to the same overall dimensions as a 15"
For instance, 28" tall in the rear is good, little shorter up front.

This car:

74FFA221-4630-44B2-BCD9-D19A7FCAA4D1.jpeg

Uses an 18 x 9 up front and a 275-40-18 Nitto NT 05 tire. Rear has an 18 x 10 with a 295-35-18 Nitto NT 05 tire. All 4 wheels have the same 4 3/4" backspacing.
The fronts only rub their sidewalls to the frame rails at full turn, otherwise no contact. Even then, the tires rub against a flat surface causing no damage.
The rears don’t contact anything.

Last edited:
This car:

View attachment 1580860

Uses an 18 x 9 up front with 4 3/4” backspacing and a 275-40-18 Nitto NT 05 tire. Rear has an 18 x 10 with a 295-35-18 Nitto NT 05 tire. The fronts only rub their sidewalls to the frame rails at full turn, otherwise no contact. Even then, the tires rub against a flat surface causing no damage.
I always forget, did you altern the rear inner fenders on that one or the other one?

This car:

View attachment 1580860

Uses an 18 x 9 up front with 4 3/4” backspacing and a 275-40-18 Nitto NT 05 tire. Rear has an 18 x 10 with a 295-35-18 Nitto NT 05 tire. The fronts only rub their sidewalls to the frame rails at full turn, otherwise no contact. Even then, the tires rub against a flat surface causing no damage.
That’s some wide wheel! What’s the back spacing on the back? I like it

I always forget, did you alter the rear inner fenders on that one or the other one?

I forgot to mention but I did reshape the outer wheel tubs on both sides when I had the taller 295-45-18" tires. The shorter 35 series tires would have cleared a stock wheel tub.

That’s some wide wheel! What’s the back spacing on the back? I like it

Sorry, I accidently forgot to list that.
All 4 wheels have the same 4 3/4" back spacing.

This is with the 45 series tire.
Folsom 6 (2).JPG

Kern Dog on the standard width rear axle we have I'm guessing about a 3/8" rotor that will space the wheel out. Is that about the same as your rear brakes?

I don’t know if these Dr Diff rear brakes made that much of a difference.
Ultimately, it makes the most sense to measure for yourself. One method that worked great for me was to mount a bare steel wheel and measure to all the limits where the wheel could be made wider. Then, stay about an inch narrower than that.
For example, If a stock wheel had 4” to the inside where the leaf springs were, I figured I could widen the wheel 3” to the inside. Apply that same principle to the outer edge. As stated, keep the outer diameter of the tire close to stock and you are going to have a better chance of everything fitting without interference.
Another advantage of using a tire near the stock diameter is that getting the speedometer to read accurate is easier with factory parts.

Last edited:
I did some measuring yesterday and I have 7.25" from the axle flange to the leaf and about 6.50 to the top wheel lip on the quarter panel. So on a 10" rim I was thinking 5.25". The front is under discussion as to how wide. On a side note the after market quarters have a fat lip that could be trimmed.

18x9.5 rim rear, 295/45/18 with 5.5" backspace.
17x8 front, 255/45/17 with 4.5 backspace

the hump in the outer wheel house of a gen2 charger is an issue. Options:

-run the 35 series tire on rear
Or
-don’t lower the car so much
Or
-relieve that hump.

You have to deal with it at some point because big wheels look dumb unless you push them out as close to wheel lip as you can. We cut and patched that hump on pass side but still have to do drivers side. It’s not a problem unless there are people in back seat or you load up with a bunch of junk in your trunk. all what I just said is for my car… which is pretty low.

IMG_4693.png

IMG_4694.png

IMG_1355.jpeg

Very same question here. Looking to replace the stock 15s on my 70 Charger. Looking at this exact set up: 1968 Dodge Charger

Think there will be any clearance issues? Wheels appear to be 0mm offset/4.5 backspace front; 0mm offset/5.5 backspace rear.

18x9.5 rim rear, 295/45/18 with 5.5" backspace.
17x8 front, 255/45/17 with 4.5 backspace

the hump in the outer wheel house of a gen2 charger is an issue. Options:

-run the 35 series tire on rear
Or
-don’t lower the car so much
Or
-relieve that hump.

You have to deal with it at some point because big wheels look dumb unless you push them out as close to wheel lip as you can. We cut and patched that hump on pass side but still have to do drivers side. It’s not a problem unless there are people in back seat or you load up with a bunch of junk in your trunk. all what I just said is for my car… which is pretty low.

View attachment 1606782

View attachment 1606783

View attachment 1606784
Here is what I did.

Increasing rear tire clearance in a '70 Charger.

Auto Transport Service
Back