• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Generic question: Looking to understand why 'hotter' camshaft requires more ignition advance.

David Womby

Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
This is really a generic question rather than specific tuning of my car. I think I understand it but would love somebody to give me a simple confirmation or a correction, please.

My car is a 360. Compared to stock (8-10BTDC) , my camshaft ( a P4452761 ) needs much more initial ignition advance (23BTDC). Several people here told me to expect that and tuning the car has confirmed it.

I think it's because the intake valves are opening earlier and longer and so the spark is needed sooner than stock. Is that right?

Thanks

David

The cyl. pressure is lower at low speed because of poor filling and a late closing intake valve. Iower pressure requires more time to burn completely, so the spark has to happen sooner.

R/T boy has covered it well. The mixture is less dense as cam overlap increases. More distance between the molecules; flame front takes more time to spread; hence more timing [ advance ] needed to get the most productive burn. With really big cams, up to 50* at idle may be needed...

img307.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back