• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

George Jones won't be down for breakfast.

I could never get into country music & I don't know any of his songs, but anyway, RIP you old hayseed.

One by one we are losing these one-of-a-kind legends. Johnny Cash, Buck Owens, George Jones, Waylon Jennings - all these guys were icons. Now only Merle Haggard is left. I just saw 76 year-old Merle play and he was great!

I have no use for modern country music (it just sounds like watered-down arena-rock to me), but the guys from the '50s-'70s were the real deal.

One by one we are losing these one-of-a-kind legends. Johnny Cash, Buck Owens, George Jones, Waylon Jennings - all these guys were icons. Now only Merle Haggard is left. I just saw 76 year-old Merle play and he was great!

I have no use for modern country music (it just sounds like watered-down arena-rock to me), but the guys from the '50s-'70s were the real deal.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Agree 100 %

Took the words right out of my mouth. Agree 100 %

couldn't gre more. there are a few newer ones, but even they are getting older and don't get the playtime. Alan Jackson,Garth(wish he'd come back). Country doesn't even sound good anymore.
RIP George

I met George at a small motel in Lakeland FL about 20 years ago.

I was there because I was working 2nd shift (well, 4-12:30) and had to go to traffic school the next morning at 7:00. The school was being held at that motel, and I happened to know the front desk person, so I thought rather than try to get up early and rush there, I'd just spend the night (got the room comped).

So I pull in around 1:30am (an hour drive from the Hotel I was working at), and there's this tour bus (and no other cars) in the parking lot.

I ask my friend who's bus it is, and she says "It's George Jones. He's in the bar right now, and will probably buy you a drink if go in there with him and talk. He's driving the bartender crazy".

So I spent the next hour or so drinking pretty heavily with George, and then in four hours went to traffic school, still fairly well sloshed.

Hate to hear of George's passing. As you say only a few left Merle and Willy and they are both at the 80 year old mark. As the words of George's song says "who's gonna feel their shows?"

Not the crap we call country music today. That's for sure.

Here is one of my favorite song from George as it makes me think of my grandparents. Hope you enjoy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqpU8el04q0

Matt

RIP George..... Sad to see another one of the "Real" Country music legends pass.....I agree with you other guys. Good music, not all that "let's go to the mall" or "everyone sing about Bud Light" garbage they play on the country radio now days..sux

georgejones.jpg

Not big on modern country either, but I do like some of the old country boys including George Jones. RIP

Good Bye George, in your Honor i am now going to get Drunk and Ride Cub Cadet Through Town. Hopefully without getting a DUI like you did George?

Old Possum made it to 81 tho. I used to be a captive to his music when I was in my teens. Dad was dragging my butt to work with him everyday when he was building houses in the 60's and he was a fan of his. I like some country music and some of his too but one of the guys I like a lot is Junior Brown. I like that kind of country....progressive country I guess it's callled. My Wife Thinks You're Dead a cut that I like....

I used to listen to country constantly! Not so much any more, Like the ol possum said they need to find their style it's not really country. Some is ok.

These modern country singers could not come close to toeing the mark these guys did. The way these ole guys partied would kill the new ones! LOL
Matt

My father was a very big fan of George Jones. As a kid I listened to George alot.
Sad to hear of his passing.
I agree Anothor of the Legends of music and a Man with Grit
RIP George

Auto Transport Service
Back