• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Get rid of the headers, right?

Well if they Related to Tim Hortons, that’s reason enough to stay away.

Well if they Related to Tim Hortons, that’s reason enough to stay away.
Hortons is disgusting.. it's actually better in canada when i go over there... KFC/Taco bell and Pizza Hut are all owned by Yum! which is chinese but based in kentucky i beleive..... But people make up stuff bout BK :)

There's good and not so good headers - results vary wildly according to what brand one buys, of course.
Some seal and install well - others don't.
Some designs will cook anything and everything around them; others, not so much.
Some make plug changes a living hell; others, less so.
Some free up significant gains in performance; some, not worth the money in that regard.

Depends on what you want - and how much you wanna spend in the end.
Fred's got Hedman's "big tubes" on him; he came with them and don't you know, they refuse to rot out. :)
Not the best choice what with the PITA plug changes, excessive heat in the cabin and what not...
One thing is for certain, though - if I were building another one for semi-mild street use, manifolds would be
on that rascal in a NY minute.
When Bob Miller sold me Baby Blue in 1983, he had put the original manifolds in the trunk, and still had headers on the car. I liked the sound of the headers better than the stock manifolds I had run on my first GTX. Bob pointed out that getting them to seal properly had been a major pain in the neck, but he had finally solved the problem. The car ran consistent 14.2 quarter mile times. I kept the headers in place during the eight years I owned the car. I constantly burned up plug wires, but didn't see any reason to go back to manifolds.

In 2013, when I bought the car for the second time, the stock manifolds were back in place. The original Carter AVS had been swapped for a Holley Street Avenger. Bob and I both agreed the car ran stronger in this configuration than when we had owned it in earlier years. At that point in our lives, we both joked about going back to headers, said no way. So our experience sort of backs up KD's assertion that old guys prefer manifolds.

A few of you guys were discussing the "age factor" in the topic. Which may be true in some cases. My take on this, as with many issues, is the "experience factor". Over the many years, it seems people with no/little/limited experience wrenching... people who lack skills... people who frankly, don't have the talent... are the first ones who bitch and moan about a job/procedure/operation ( whether it be headers, or anything ). Not everybody can be a doctor or lawyer. And the same holds true for an auto mechanic.

I'm a day 2 guy........ wheels, intake, headers....... I like the look, whatever it takes

One thing is for certain, though - if I were building another one for semi-mild street use, manifolds would be
on that rascal in a NY minute.
Ed, repurposing his pita headers Lol!

IMG_5578.gif

When Bob Miller sold me Baby Blue in 1983, he had put the original manifolds in the trunk, and still had headers on the car. I liked the sound of the headers better than the stock manifolds I had run on my first GTX. Bob pointed out that getting them to seal properly had been a major pain in the neck, but he had finally solved the problem. The car ran consistent 14.2 quarter mile times. I kept the headers in place during the eight years I owned the car. I constantly burned up plug wires, but didn't see any reason to go back to manifolds.

In 2013, when I bought the car for the second time, the stock manifolds were back in place. The original Carter AVS had been swapped for a Holley Street Avenger. Bob and I both agreed the car ran stronger in this configuration than when we had owned it in earlier years. At that point in our lives, we both joked about going back to headers, said no way. So our experience sort of backs up KD's assertion that old guys prefer manifolds.
My disagreement is not that older folks prefer manifolds over headers; that's pretty much settled science.
My disagreement was that the age of the owner himself has nothing to do with the suitability/benefits/minuses
of header usage itself.
Headers' properties, benefits, gains, detractions know no age limits - they are inanimate objects of known finite
properties. That doesn't change for anyone, young or old.

Hey man I am 81 give me headers every time for any muscle cars regardless, unless its a full resto. i will be working on my bird until I can't move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

IMG_0001.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back