• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Get rid of the headers, right?

Headers all the way. Easy hp. I have not had issues with them sealing and in my 440 makes plug changes easier.
20170426_165236.jpg

No, what I said was certainly not.
The post I referred to, however, was.
Maybe so if you're sensitive to the issue.
Older guys tend to aim toward reduced risk of maintenance.
They aren't as driven by chasing down the last bit of power.
Most have recollections of cheap headers that did leak and did rattle. They also may not see the value in a $1000 set of headers if they already have manifolds.

Restrictive manifolds can hold in more heat in the engine compared to headers and with today's gas that can mean detonation on the higher compression engines...or in other words you can run more compression and have a more effecient engine with a good flowing exhaust w headers. But, If you run a terrible exhaust system behind headers or manifolds..it won't matter..they all suck...or is it blow?
...or don't blow.Lol

Maybe so if you're sensitive to the issue.
Older guys tend to aim toward reduced risk of maintenance.
They aren't as driven by chasing down the last bit of power.
Most have recollections of cheap headers that did leak and did rattle. They also may not see the value in a $1000 set of headers if they already have manifolds.
The point was/is....
The plusses and minuses of each type of exhaust manifold is not dependent upon the age of the owner,
all glaring generality/stereotyping statements aside.

The point was/is....
The plusses and minuses of each type of exhaust manifold is not dependent upon the age of the owner,
I would tend to agree..I think the only thing age brings with it is the issues the owner had with the headers he/she ordered out of the jc Whitney catalog. We dealt w exhaust leaks from terrible gaskets, thin and warped flanges, tubes poorly replicated... and probably the worst offense for mopars... headers were made to fit in A, B and E bodies and didn't fit good on any.Lol
Yet a good chunk of us would do it all over again...others regret it yet from the first experience. I get that. But...guys remembering their header hell memories from the past need remember Its a different world with Quality headers, Modern RemFlex gaskets, CNC tube benders, Multiple manufacture options, Different tube size choices, Better plug wires, and technological advances in header coatings.

The F.A.S.T. racing series has also made manifolds cool again by going fast with them..and if you are into originality under the hood, you can't do that with headers.

Last edited:
The point was/is....
The reason why stereotypes are used is because like profiles, they are based in fact.
You were obviously offended when no offense was meant.
Older people are usually more cautious, right?
Older people usually aren’t as competitive as younger people. Sure, there are exceptions but generally, as we age, we don’t want the loudest or fastest thing on the road. Call it maturity if it offends you less.
What I wrote wasn’t wrong. You focused on being offended when that wasn’t the point.

I would tend to agree..I think the only thing age bring with it is the issues the owner had with the headers he/she ordered out of the jc Whitney catalog. We dealt w exhaust leaks from terrible gaskets, thin and warped flanges, tubes poorly replicated... and probably the worst offense for mopars... headers were made to fit in A, B and E bodies and didn't fit good on any.Lol
Yet a good chunk of us would do it all over again...others regret it yet from the first experience. I get that. But...guys remembering their header hell memories from the past need remember Its a different world with Quality headers, Modern RemFlex gaskets, CNC tube benders, Multiple manufacture options, Different tube size choices, Better plug wires, and technological advances in header coatings.

The F.A.S.T. racing series have made manifold cool again by going fast with them..and if you are into originality under the hood, you can't do that with headers.
There's good and not so good headers - results vary wildly according to what brand one buys, of course.
Some seal and install well - others don't.
Some designs will cook anything and everything around them; others, not so much.
Some make plug changes a living hell; others, less so.
Some free up significant gains in performance; some, not worth the money in that regard.

Depends on what you want - and how much you wanna spend in the end.
Fred's got Hedman's "big tubes" on him; he came with them and don't you know, they refuse to rot out. :)
Not the best choice what with the PITA plug changes, excessive heat in the cabin and what not...
One thing is for certain, though - if I were building another one for semi-mild street use, manifolds would be
on that rascal in a NY minute.

The reason why stereotypes are used is because like profiles, they are based in fact.
You were obviously offended when no offense was meant.
Older people are usually more cautious, right?
Older people usually aren’t as competitive as younger people. Sure, there are exceptions but generally, as we age, we don’t want the loudest or fastest thing on the road. Call it maturity if it offends you less.
What I wrote wasn’t wrong. You focused on being offended when that wasn’t the point.
I didn't get offended - I pointed out the obvious flaw in your "point" in the debate.

Again, one cannot logically argue a stereotype - it's not a provable point, like performance
numbers or some other tangible aspects of either side of the debate - because they're
generalities of peoples' beliefs, as sometimes opposed to proveable facts.

One could certainly debate that older folks prefer one type of manifold to the other - heck,
you could even take a survey about it if you wanted - but the actual debate of which type of
manifold is better has nothing to do with a given owners' age.

There was no flaw. There was an opinion that was stated as such:

I'd bet lunch at a Burger King that the majority of guys favoring manifolds are over 65.
I don't race my cars but I have headers on both Chargers and even my 75 Power Wagon.
If you interpreted this as me stating what I thought was a fact, you read it wrong. The word "majority" does not mean everyone.
Prove me wrong. Show me how at least 51 % of guys over 65 would choose headers.
You made my point in the last paragraph of post #48.

By the way what I wrote had no negative connotation. I understand that if you aren't willing to deal with whatever drawbacks they bring, it is tempting to just use cast iron manifolds since they are maintenance free.

I don't think what Kern Dog said was hilarious or downright silly.
It was just the truth.
Just like laying on the floor to work on the car, hard-riding suspension, really low car sports cars that are hard to get in and out of, going to nightclubs until 3am, certain things become less desirable with age. Rooting around trying to change plugs or starters would fall into this category.

That's not to say older folk might not want all the benefits of headers, but when they weigh up the negatives they are more likely to choose manifolds.

The old small block headers that ran under the left tie rod would put most people against headers. They were just too low and quickly became smashed and leaking.
The Big block headers I have used didn't have that problem, and then TTI and a few others started making better fitting small block headers.
They all make changing the starter a problem.
I was just replacing the mini starter wiring on the Coronet with the TTI headers, and not an easy job, but was able to do it without removing the header.

The old small block headers that ran under the left tie rod would put most people against headers. They were just too low and quickly became smashed and leaking.
The Big block headers I have used didn't have that problem, and then TTI and a few others started making better fitting small block headers.
They all make changing the starter a problem.
I was just replacing the mini starter wiring on the Coronet with the TTI headers, and not an easy job, but was able to do it without removing the header.
The high torque mini-starters are the way to go.

Mate of mine used to race sprint cars here in Australia, State Champ, helps me with my 360 and 318 powered cars, said most of the cars ran stock exhaust manifolds as there wasnt a lot of difference in power, slightly more for headers but not worth the going to expense etc of them, best race engine was the 340 c u motors.

Guess I'm an exception then - I'm no spring chicken and certainly not as spry at getting on the floor under
the car these days admittedly thanks to all manner of surgeries and such, yet.... there's those ridiculous
headers, still on Fred.

As many times as I've had the car apart over the years, changing to manifolds would have actually been
easier at times than wrestling the PITA Hedmans back on the car - yet I chose to, every time.
Why? The entire exhaust system doesn't rot, more than anything else.
I've never been a parts collector - if a part is on the car and performing satisfactorily, it stays, that simple.

All of that said, I will admit to finally giving in and making an appointment next week for an experienced
old mechanic nearby to swap out the clutch in Fred for me.
If I had a lift, that might have gone a different way - but I've grown a bit too debilitated to get under the
car on the floor and roll around with 18-splines on my chest and such.
I can afford it - he can do it for me this time.

Back when I was young, when your only transportation choices were a Mopar or a dinosaur, a young fellow put headers on because they were cool. The first step in customizing your vehicle. Well, headers and lift shackles were tied. Anyway, I did the header thing too. Those and some cherry bombs at least made you think you were fast…it sounds faster, right ?
I came to the realization….while still fairly young (no ageism), that I could work on my car easier and with far less frustration and bloodshed with a stock setup. With my current Mopar plaything, with stock manifolds, I have no trouble accessing the starter, plugs, transmission, etc. Before, with headers, it was a major battle and everything took so long to accomplish due to the lack of accessibility. The car sounds great, runs great, and I will stay away from headers for the rest of my days. They just aren’t worth the trouble. JMHO

Back when I was young, when your only transportation choices were a Mopar or a dinosaur, a young fellow put headers on because they were cool. The first step in customizing your vehicle. Well, headers and lift shackles were tied. Anyway, I did the header thing too. Those and some cherry bombs at least made you think you were fast…it sounds faster, right ?
I came to the realization….while still fairly young (no ageism), that I could work on my car easier and with far less frustration and bloodshed with a stock setup. With my current Mopar plaything, with stock manifolds, I have no trouble accessing the starter, plugs, transmission, etc. Before, with headers, it was a major battle and everything took so long to accomplish due to the lack of accessibility. The car sounds great, runs great, and I will stay away from headers for the rest of my days. They just aren’t worth the trouble. JMHO
Sounds like 16 year old me. Cheap headers, the Thrush round straight through mufflers and long home made leaf spring shackles on the '67 Coronet with a 318, 284/0.484" Mopar purple cam, a used Edelbrock Streetmaster intake, and Super Shops "new"/rebuilt Holley 600 4-bbl.

Nevermind...looked it up.
Man, it's tough not being
political on this site. But
respect the wishes.
I am perfectly capable of
burning my own burgers.
It's owned by a canadian company... not chinese...

I wish people would stop falling for BS a certrain channel shows them... (not you.. just saying in general)

Auto Transport Service
Back