• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting At The Heater/AC System Behind The Dash On A 70 RR

soundhd

Local time
4:57 PM
Reaction score
Have a 70 RR with factory A/C. Nothing is working (heat/AC/fan). Need to get the system out from behind the dash and check it all out. Just wondering what is the best way to do that....was told to just take the whole dash out with everything attached but have to remove the windshield to do that.....Shop manual does not show much on getting it all out......Any advice would be appreciated.......

Thanks

It should come out without removing the Dash. Remove the Center console if so equipped and roll that beast out..

Well, I can only speak about my non-A/C '70 runner....the heater box & the controls both come out without removing the dash. The box isn't that bad & the controls are super easy. I might suggest that you remove the glove box to check the cables (hot/cold) and the fan switch before pulling everything apart + the blower motor resistor which you can see by the passenger's feet. I've had to work on all three of those items in my '70 and none of them were too difficult. It's not "factory", but I used some 1-sided polyurethane foam window sealing tape on the back of my box when I reinstalled it to get a better seal...fyi.

take the front seat out, it will make it MUCH easier !!!!

hope it's easier than my ram.
that was a royal pia

you really should not have to remove the box to get everything working unless the heater core or evaporator need servicing. You will probably find it is an electrical issue or possibly the vacuum control switch.

Auto Transport Service
Back