• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting the front 13” Baer brakes on.

70ChargerRT

Local time
4:37 AM
Reaction score
I really like these Baer brakes. The install process went pretty good. I had to grind on both spindles a tad to get one of the caliper mounting brackets on which it states in the instructions. The shimming part to get the calipers centered took a few extra minutes. The only thing that really pissed me off was they sent me brake lines for rear mounted calipers and they are about 4” short from my other ones and I don’t why they don’t use the Mopar thread size on their calipers so I could have least put my originals braided lines on it. I planned on some test and tuning this week and that was shot to ****. Made in the USA though.

C05C772D-15CD-460D-9D02-6828F56D3E9F.jpeg

5000C19E-5B3D-4773-8B37-36FED9FE157B.jpeg

D45B0E3A-23BC-417F-96DE-881803465B2E.jpeg

I tried really hard to go with Baer when I was upgrading my 70 Roadrunner brakes, but I had a lot of trouble figuring out what to buy. Their website wasn't user friendly for me.
I was "owed a favor" by Quick Performance for an error they made on the 9" rear axle assembly for my wife's 65 GTO that required a new housing to be made, and they gave me a killer deal on Wilwood discs. 6 piston front and rear, 12.88 front and 11.2 rear.
I'm glad you got yours done, and made in USA is a plus.

I tried really hard to go with Baer when I was upgrading my 70 Roadrunner brakes, but I had a lot of trouble figuring out what to buy. Their website wasn't user friendly for me.
I was "owed a favor" by Quick Performance for an error they made on the 9" rear axle assembly for my wife's 65 GTO that required a new housing to be made, and they gave me a killer deal on Wilwood discs. 6 piston front and rear, 12.88 front and 11.2 rear.
I'm glad you got yours done, and made in USA is a plus.
I had factory disc brakes on the front and Wilwood I’m thinking only offers a 11” for factory disc spindle. I called Baer and man their customer service was great. I was torn on choosing a 6 piston or a 4 piston because their 6 piston was like $2600. I gave him my set up. What car, tire size and so forth and told me the way their 4 piston was designed it would be all I ever needed. Now he said if I was running a bigger front tire like a 285 and planned on some Auto Cross he’d recommend the 6 piston. I do like how big this 4 piston caliper is made but it’ll probably be another 3 or 4 weeks before I can do some serious driving. I may do rear disc this winter.

My girlfriends father has the same Baer brake set up as you, he mounted his on the rear of the rotor. If he would’ve mounted them on the front, the sway bar would’ve interfered. Is there a reason why you wanted them on the front?

I had factory disc brakes on the front and Wilwood I’m thinking only offers a 11” for factory disc spindle.
My car had drums from the factory, which I have mixed thoughts about, regarding the original build configuration of the car. It is a real V-code, TrackPak 4 speed Dana, so maybe the thought was drums are good enough for the drag strip? Manual brakes and steering too, it seems like it was configured to be a drag car.
I am shocked and disappointed that NO ONE makes new "drum" spindles for my application, which requires drum spindles to install the Wilwood discs!
I had new spindles on it as part of the original disc brake upgrade, and I made the mistake of literally throwing away my original drum spindles when the first conversion was done, way back about 9 years ago, very soon after I first got my car.
Fortunately a :lowdown: forum member BLESSED ME:luvplace: with a pair of excellent condition drum spindles, and that is what is on the car now.
I called Baer and man their customer service was great.
I don't remember if I called them or not, but trying to use their website to figure out what I needed was impossible for me. I may have known about the "hookup" from QP by then, so I probably wasn't pursuing other options very hard.
I was torn on choosing a 6 piston or a 4 piston because their 6 piston was like $2600.
For me, the decision to go with 6 piston calipers on ALL 4 wheels was driven by 3 main factors: I was getting a great price, QP knows a "trick" that allows the 6 piston caliper to work perfectly on the smaller diameter rear discs that normally are 4 piston calipers, and bragging rights! I challenge any forum member to find another B-Body with 6 piston calipers on the rear wheels.

The dual caliper brakes that I posted above are called deep stage, used in high horsepower MoPars.
I didn’t see that as an option for my Charger. Guess I don’t qualify for the high horsepower qualification lol

I didn’t see that as an option for my Charger. Guess I don’t qualify for the high horsepower qualification lol
Your Baer system is all you’ll ever need, what horsepower are you running? What is your caliper piston size?

I’m considering going to the Baer setup that works with 15” wheels. The write up I saw on that kit complained big time about the shim deal.

I kinda don’t want to do doscs on this original car though. I’m concreted about lack of new drums. Not sure what I’ll find when I do the tear down. These brakes don’t feel right and the shop that did a lot of work on the car was a joke. I’ve fixed about everything the last owner had them do. Ive always had good luck in the past getting drums to work well. Glad to see somebody else running their product so I can get some real feedback before I take the leap.

My 17” rims fit over them. They recommend at least 17” but still use their stencil to make sure.
17" is about as big one can get away with on a classic IMO. My '69 RR had 18". (Long story involving seller who had the 14" rally's stolen off car the night before I started trip down to view/pickup car. I believed him, and he did the best he could under circumstance.) And started looking a little retro. Could have been worse with a crazier design, so it had to do. (Actually not too bad with the peril white paint on a base model 383/auto car.)

RoadRunner front quarter.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back