• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GM made a better engine than the LS? And it's an Inline 6?? -

Big numbers and it wasn't tuned yet. Staight 6's are perfect for blower or turbo applications. The bottom ends are very strong because of the 7 main bearings. Except for slant 6's. Most 6 cylinder heads suck but that can be overcome.

radar2.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty cool, not many look at early 2000's engines besides the LS.
However, I was more impressed with this the first time I saw it. People around here were still racing dirt track ovals with stovebolts in the early 80's until local tracks decided the old cars weren't "safe" enough anymore and made official classes.

Last I heard, the Italians had been tossing around a turbo straight 6 for the next Charger. I mean 5 years back we were supposed to get the Alfa Giuliiuoioillioillo(whatever the name is) as the new Charger chassis with guess what, a turbo straight six. I have always like inline 6, we had a Ford 300 in a truck when i was growing up, and a slant in a Case combine.

Impressive #s for the cid's 'packaging' would be the biggest issue,
I could see, it is a loooong engine, needs a longer engine bay
Barra 4.2

I saw a show a while back 'the better Barra' on Motortrend TV
not sure what show it was, maybe 'engine masters' ?
maybe it was 'HotRod Garage' ? not sure/can't recall
? RB20DE (RB straight 6) Nissan N/A version like in a Skyline ?
it was a different engine, I can't remember now who/make etc.
trying to compete with the
IIRC Government Motors Imported Chinese 'cast'/4200 Barra

the engine they tested, tried to make better, than the Barra,
didn't really compare in power, but it was smaller cid too

Last edited:
GM 4.2 liter (256 cube) Inline 6. A friend has one in his Yukon and it really scats. Talking to a friend that submits warranty claims at the local GM dealer says this engine and the 3.5 L (213 cube) have very few warranty claims and seem to last well over the 200,000 mark.

The 4.2 puts out 270 horse and 275 lb/ft . Not bad for 250+ cubes. It's all in the heads. DOHC with 4 valves. Fill the chamber up with valves. Something that is limited with only 2 valves with a small bore.

Last edited:
Factory, not hopped up aftermarket stuff
3.0 ltr 400hp/450ftlbs/tq at 5800rpm
500/475 respectively at 6100rpm, not too shabby for a 3.0 liter 'straight 6'
it is twin turbo'd
straight 6's 'were', just heavy truck motors/boat anchors for the hotrod community
they may last but 'didn't used to' make **** for power

Last edited:
Always heard more good than bad about nearly any inline 6. A straight 6, 235ci we had in ‘56 Chevy growing up went 200,000 miles before throwing a connecting rod through the oil pan. And nothing but routine maintenance was ever done to that engine. 200k back then was like two full engine lives it seemed to most V-8s.

Factory, not hopped up aftermarket stuff
3.0 ltr 400hp/450ftlbs/tq at 5800rpm
500/475 respectively at 6100rpm, not too shabby for a 3.0 liter 'straight 6'
it is twin turbo'd
straight 6's 'were', just heavy truck motors/boat anchors for the hotrod community
they may last but 'didn't used to' make **** for power

Friggin Pissed. I don't want an I6 in my pick-em-up truck. Twin turbo or not. I want hairy-chested, Mopar V8 power in my Ram damn it!!

In 2 years when my lease is up, if I want a V8 in a Ram, Im probably going to have to go with a 2500.

RIP Ram 1500.

2019 RAM Laramie (12).JPG
IMG_4080.jpg

The Aussie Chrys inline 6, 265 cu in, not DOHC, pentroof chamber, made 302 hp with triple Webers & was tractable enough to pull away at 20 mph in top gear. Sold to the public.

Straight sixes don't sound as good as a V8.

Is there an actual engine underneath all that stuff?

View attachment 1512220

View attachment 1512221
They cover them, like my 5.7, because people like the look of the old school V-8. I wouldn't call them sexy. If you had a inline 6 when we were kids, you were sent home. Remember the days when one horse per cubic inch was gettin with the program. The big three always have/had crazy things they were working on. Back then it was how big can it go before we have to use a shoe horn to get it in, now it's how small and light.

Better is an opinion. Like Kern said, I don’t like the sound of any 6 cylinder, V6 or straight. But I also only like the sound of a V8 going through the gears of a clutch pedaled manual transmission. I don’t care if it’s slower or less consistent in a drag race. Of course, just my preference.

Friggin Pissed. I don't want an I6 in my pick-em-up truck. Twin turbo or not. I want hairy-chested, Mopar V8 power in my Ram damn it!!

In 2 years when my lease is up, if I want a V8 in a Ram, Im probably going to have to go with a 2500.

RIP Ram 1500.

View attachment 1512206View attachment 1512207
Buy that perfect V8 truck and keep it forever will be your choice. My wife likes her Buick Envision. Buick will phase out gas and phase in rechargeable in the next few years. She mentioned trading out 2020 for a new one and keep it till it dies.

Auto Transport Service
Back