• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Goddess heart surgery

Since you are into the engine this far, you may want to verify that the outer ring on the damper has not slipped. Using a positive stop, and a pointer you can make or just use the timing cover one, rotate the crank fully one direction till it hits the stop. Make a mark on the damper that lines up with your pointer of choice. Rotate the other direction till it hits the stop. Make another mark. Halfway in between is TDC. How does you damper line up after that on the marks?

before I took the damper off I verified tdc was correct, and the marker was right. I did buy a new damper, just as preventive maintenance though

I would replace all the valve seals while it is apart. You don't need random bits of metal wandering around in your engine.

Oooh, that doesn’t sound good. Do I just replace and forget, or dive deeper?

I would replace all the valve seals while it is apart. You don't need random bits of metal wandering around in your engine.
I agree with qkcuda should do all to know its good. Waaay more fun to do stem seals out of the car.
Not that those types of seals are fun to do
Roll the piston to the bottom, air up cylinder and get out the old lisle crank down spring compressor

I agree with qkcuda should do all to know its good. Waaay more fun to do stem seals out of the car.
Not that those types of seals are fun to do
Roll the piston to the bottom, air up cylinder and get out the old lisle crank down spring compressor

A length of rope inserted into the spark plug hole and rotating the crank until it stops will hold the valves in place if you don’t have an air compressor.

I would 100% re-verify tdc with that new balancer before I did anything else concerning the cam timing. You have no way of knowing if that mark is corrrect on the new one without checking it yourself.

I would also mock up the bell housing/trans/throw out bearing with clutch fork to see if the headers are going to clear the linkage. Much easier to get an idea of fitment without the whole car in the way
Travis..

Last edited:
Yes I am going to do all of that, I just haven’t gotten to that point yet
Obey Travis, the Ageless Warlock.

1 laugh 5.gif

Yes. It is held in place by the harmonic balancer when it is tightened down.

As part of my “while I’m here I might as well _____” mission, I’m changing the freeze plugs. The olds ones don’t look bad, but brass not only looks cool, but it’s better for anti rust. A little scale in there, but not bad.

4DFAF3DA-218A-4DD7-8627-5D8C3A61BE13.jpeg

65598829-749D-45B2-B549-0B0669930940.jpeg

A75B35FC-7052-4D97-9484-EB4F27C0F3DD.jpeg

Plus you have bitchin access to them right now. Are they the correct Mopar size, 1 41/64th, or Chebby 1 5/8?

I actually didn’t get to that. I had a guy come buy a couple engine blocks, cranks, and heads. After moving all that I really didn’t feel like doing anything else.

Auto Transport Service
Back