• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good build engine package-Suggestions?

64plybelvwgn

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:57 PM
Reaction score
I have a good , unturned journals, 440 steel, stick shift crank, and a set of 440-6pak, refurbished and bronze-bushed rods. I was considering a 400 block build-up for 451ci. Which year block and which heads should I use to get a reliable pump-gas ( under 93 octane ) engine ? Or should I go to a 440 block and heads ? In that case, which ones ?

Thanks in advance,

A 451 would be good. So would a 440. Any year 400 block is good. I think its a 1973 they say has thicker main webbing. I am currently building a 440. Watch with the heavy 6 pack rods. When you balance your rotating assembly It can require a lot of Mallory metal plugs to balance the bobweights of the crank. The mallory metal plugs are around $100 each. All open chamber head castings are fairly equal in my opinion. Just make sure they have hardened seats for unleaded gas. 915 heads are the best because they have the closed chamber for higher compression though.

367 pretty much has the scoop. I will say that the 915 and the 906 heads have the same ports and I believe these are a wet flow advantage over the later ones with the flat intake floor. Main thing is to watch your cam and compression ratio. Shoot for about 175-180 PSI of cranking pressure.

I have a good , unturned journals, 440 steel, stick shift crank, and a set of 440-6pak, refurbished and bronze-bushed rods. I was considering a 400 block build-up for 451ci. Which year block and which heads should I use to get a reliable pump-gas ( under 93 octane ) engine ? Or should I go to a 440 block and heads ? In that case, which ones ?

Thanks in advance,

For reliable pump-gas 451 or 440 you can use any year block and any big block head with your crank and rods. Power requirements may change head selection and everything else. What type service is this engine destined for? You can have 350 HP or 750 HP with pump gas and 440-451 ci.

I can give you the specs on my standard stroke 440 build... Might be a bit more comp than your looking for though, but I have ran it on high test with a bottle of octane boost with ok results. The only issue I have had running pump gas, is a little run on when shutting off with a hot engine.
440 standard stroke steel crankshaft.
.030" over L2295F Forged pistons with .140" dome top.
Scatt 4340 H-Beam piston rods.
Studs in mains with Stud Girdle.
Balanced rotating assy.
Deep sump oil pan and High volume Mellings oil pump.
"Procomp" Victor 440 Aluminum Cyl Heads mildly ported.
1.6 ratio roller rockers.
Mopar Performance P4120663 312/312dur 104o/lap 590/590lift. Gives .629" lift @ 1.6
Victor 440 Intake.
Holley 850cfm Carb.
TTI 2" primary Headers W/ 3.5" collectors

Well, that about sums it up....

Last edited:
You can build either with off the shelf parts.Your application either will be fine.Use a good flat top piston with around 5.5cc relief and 82cc combustion chamber will get you around 10.5cr.In saying that I would run a quality aluminum head,zero deck the block,1009 felpro gasket.This will up the compression to 11.1 or just over and give you proper quench at 0.040.With correct cam and plugs this will run on 92 with no problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back