• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Shroud? Any advice before I order?

Billccm

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
I was at a car show Saturday night and there were two 1970 B Bodies there with shrouds similar to this item:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spe-4348/overview/

I also saw on the other thread (underhood heat) that someone recommended the Summit shroud.

I have a Champion aluminum radiator, and fan with clutch, etc.

Any comments, or advice? Anything to measure, or confirm before I order?

Thanks. Have a nice day.

Looks ok, but I just wish it was 360* coverage to get a little better (suction?) thru rad.

Bill what size radiator do you have? I bought a oem repop from Mega parts for a Griffin exact fit radiator. Fit pretty good. Couldn't flaw the shroud as I think the radiator brackets were just a smidge different but overall I was happy.
IMG_20160717_125007.jpg

Thats not a fan shroud. It's a fan guard. Only good to keep your hands out of the fan. You need a shroud that covers the whole core, with the fan set 1/2 way in the shroud.

Thats not a fan shroud. It's a fan guard. Only good to keep your hands out of the fan. You need a shroud that covers the whole core, with the fan set 1/2 way in the shroud.

I also agree, use the stock or repro stock type that will work with the fan diameter.

DSCF7267.JPG

Thats not a fan shroud. It's a fan guard.
My motorhead friends at work agree with you. It is interesting that some of the reviews on Summit for this so called shroud claim better cooling. Perhaps it does help a bit, but not as much as a full shroud?

I need to measure my Champion radiator shroud mounting holes and make a drawing and see if someone can help me verify a repo factory shroud will fit.

I have a stock 26 inch shroud on my Sport Fury. Tell me what measurements you need, and I can measure when I get home. Just so you know, i doubt anything will just bolt up. Probably have to make brackets.

I put a Mishimoto(?) 26" from Summit last summer in my '68 and used my oem shroud picked up yrs ago along with the oem rad. that finally took a dump. Used their mounting holes & redrilled the shroud to match. Classic & most only sell 22" shrouds(?).

I have a stock 26 inch shroud on my Sport Fury. Tell me what measurements you need, and I can measure when I get home. Just so you know, i doubt anything will just bolt up. Probably have to make brackets.
And I hear a groundswell of support for someone to make a 26" shroud that works like the 22". If you don't have room to go thicker on the core at least you can go 4" wider on same core width.

It is interesting that some of the reviews on Summit for this so called shroud claim better cooling. Perhaps it does help a bit, but not as much as a full shroud?

After an oil change, I'd swear my Charger gets faster. Every time.

P.S. I had one of those fan "shrouds" on a 69 Ranchero with a 351. Made no difference on or off.

I got creative one winter and made a wooden form,, got some felt, stapled it to the form and put 2 coats of fiberglass re sin outside and inside and then layered some cloth and more resin until it got stiff, sanded and painted it.

Auto Transport Service
Back