• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a letter from the City

I've been on the short end of this a couple times . My parents were in an accident. I had their car at my house, mot even a month. Some Dick called the county, and I got one of those letters. I had to hurry up and part out the car. It was my fault for not putting the car in the back yard. I had it where people could see it. It happened again down here in Florida. We had a hurricane come through,so i put my project truck way back on the side of my house, between woods and my house was only 20 feet wide. So if you were driving by, you'd have to almost stop and look for it. I did this to put my daily drivers in the garage. I knew which dick called. Code enforcement came to my house. She asked me if it ran. I said yes, do you want to hear it? She says the law says the vehicle has to run. Nothing about tags, or condition. So she left. I pulled the truck up to the front of my property, and left it there for a month. On the other side, we have a couple neighbors that once they start, they don't stop. One has a 6 foot fence around their house. Where do they pile their trash? In the front yard. It started with baby toys. Then a lawnmower, then some other stuff. Now there's about 6 large aquariums out there with all the other stuff. And when we were walking our dogs, their pit bull comes after us ( figures). I guess my point is, sometimes people have no concern about their home, and once they start, they keep piling it on, and won't stop until someone makes an issue of it. Maybe that's what the complainer in the op is afraid of. While everyone should have their right to do what they want, maybe they should also consider others feelings.

Your situation is much different than the OP's and that neighbor you have is one that can never be pleased......He just does not and will not like you.....that is his loss even though he will never admit that.........
Well, I failed to mention that he passed on a few years ago and we never did talk again when he finally did quit hairyassing me though. Oh well. Over the years I had several opportunities to 'off' him but that wouldn't be right. A good one would have been when he was out driving his TR5 and I come up upon him with my 1 ton pickup out in the boonies. I drove up beside him and he never looked up. Don't know if he realized I was there and the temptation high really high lol.

I'll take trashy good neighbors over well kept serial murders or psycho busybodies any day.
But that's just me.

If it wasn't the neighbor who called the city would have possibly caught it themselves. Most localities have codes and compliance officers driving around routinely.

The point is get to know your neighbor's.....ask them if they mind the car in the driveway.....most things can be relieved with simple communication.
If you have to ask your neighbors what you can do on your own property you need to move the F out!!! Can't believe so many on here defend it, glad your not my neighbors although my place isn't a dump. God bless small town Ohio where you can have a motorcross track in your front yard, shoot hundreds of rounds off, let your field grow up because your to busy to bush hog and pee wherever you like... I feel sorry for you guys I really do..... almost sounds communist where some live!

If you have to ask your neighbors what you can do on your own property you need to move the F out!!! Can't believe so many on here defend it, glad your not my neighbors although my place isn't a dump. God bless small town Ohio where you can have a motorcross track in your front yard, shoot hundreds of rounds off, let your field grow up because your to busy to bush hog and pee wherever you like... I feel sorry for you guys I really do..... almost sounds communist where some live!
Taking that a bit too far it's called common courtesy aka neighborly...guess that's why in my neighborhood we get along and have no issues....

I've lived out in the country all my life until a few years ago when the local municipality decided to annex most of the southern part of the county. The only thing we've gotten from them is higher property taxes and higher electricity bills. The roads are nothing but potholes and patches. We now have to apply for permits to do just about anything outside. No neighbors all that close so at least I can still shoot, burn trash, and piss outside.

i have had my share of town nazi's
one day i guess i was making too much noise for someone
and code enforcement paid me a visit.
he walked up and said
i hear you are running a body shop business out of your home?
i laughed in his face and said to be running a business, don't you need customers?
if you happen to find one, get back to me and then we can discuss this further.
he was at a loss of words..lol
then he started on i was parking in the yard where i was not supposed to..
i then asked him where the designated parking spots were
since they were not marked clearly?
he mumbled again and said have a nice day..
what a tool,you just have to know how to play the game..lol

Taking that a bit too far it's called common courtesy aka neighborly...guess that's why in my neighborhood we get along and have no issues....
I guess it goes both ways, all my neighbors mind their own business as I do and we all get along just the same. Sorry I just strongly believe a man's property is a man's property.

I guess it goes both ways, all my neighbors mind their own business as I do and we all get along just the same. Sorry I just strongly believe a man's property is a man's property.
I do not disagree......:thumbsup:

The only neighbors I have any trouble with are the ones that live in housing developments adjacent to our farm ground that throw their trash and yard waste out in the fields, and let their kids ride dirt bikes. Some of them seem to know more about farming than I do, mainly the ones who think their excrement has no odor.

No neighbors all that close so at least I can still shoot, burn trash, and piss outside.

LOL. Not to forget about having a beer outside without neighbors getting **** as well. Had that experience

It is public records material. You can find out who made the complaint ez . Be very cool with the folks at the county records dept. and ask , should have a case number on the letter. Done it and discussed issue with neighbor who found my dirt bikes and boats unattractive. People are less pissy when they are no longer anonymous.

The only neighbors I have any trouble with are the ones that live in housing developments adjacent to our farm ground that throw their trash and yard waste out in the fields, and let their kids ride dirt bikes. Some of them seem to know more about farming than I do, mainly the ones who think their excrement has no odor.
Some day just for the heck of it park the manure spreader in their back yard. Bet you get their attention real fast.

If we still had livestock, those fields would be the first to spread manure on!

I had this same problem earlier this year with my next door neighbor... and old bat who's been a pain in the *** nebshit since we moved in. I got my car back from my criminal mechanic, and I started working on getting the parts I needed for it. I was about to start working on it when the State's Attorney started prosecuting my mechanic and they asked me to not do anything to the car as it was technically evidence in a criminal proceeding.

So I get a letter from the town saying the car is inoperable and must be removed or stored, and I just kept referring them to the State's Attorney office. The town pressed the matter and the state ended up smacking them down pretty good.

What really bugged me was when I was out rebuilding the wiring harness my POS neighbor comes walking over and asks me if I'm getting the car ready to go racing again. I asked her what she was talking about and she said the car had been gone for a long time and she thought I had been out racing it! I told her no, and explained to her about being robbed by the shop, how the mechanic was going to jail, and how I and many others had been screwed over. The look on her face told me she realized she shouldn't have filed her little complaint and she quickly beat feet.

Wow, what a couple of blow hard jackass's!!! Immense traffic? There's 2 women that need a good old fashion slapping. Seams like a pretty cool guy to me with hags for neighbors.

Demand to see a signed complaint from a real person. Not an Officer from a municipality. They have to produce one. Most people won't sign a complaint.

There is a loooong list of hoops that they have to jump through in order to Legally force you to move the vehicle, with minimal effort on your part making them jump. You just have to be aware of them and then stand up to it.
First, is ignore any "NOTICE" that doesn't require a signature from you (property owner). YOU NEVER RECEIVED any NOTICE, right?
Second, refuse to talk to anyone and tell them to leave. Then record all on camera.
Moves like this force them to produce things like
Warrants, signed complaints, have hearings, blah, blah blah, etc... municipalities won't pursue such a minor offense and the complaining person won't sign a complaint 'cause they don't want any hassle or retribution.
If the car really isn't an eye sore they have no business complaining and the city has enough of your $$ already.

Auto Transport Service
Back