• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got my dash put together

Meep-Meep

дворянин
Local time
10:49 PM
Reaction score
It's actually in the car now. Finally!

I made some aluminum filler panels for the Infinity tweeters to fit the factory holes and was wondering what you guys (and gals) think. I'm kind of neutral on the appearance but it was a quick fix and the only way to remove the speakers if I had to without ripping the whole car apart - not much room for a real speaker in there. I wanted to put them under the factory grilles but that was problematic for the reasons mentioned above plus I didn't feel like getting into a big engineering effort.

The other pair of component speakers still need a home and I was thinking either the door panels (repo panels so no bad karma there), kick panels (but I doubt there's room) or the back deck. Anyone have any comments regarding component speaker locations in a b body to produce the best sound quality?

DSC00158edit.JPG

DSC00155edit.JPG

DSC00156edit.JPG

Dash looks good. Nice install on the tweets. Not sure whether I'd like it once in the car, but looks good on the bench.

You can always put 6X9s in the rear deck where the factory did. Somewhere (recently) I saw some kicks that were molded to accept some round speakers. Don't remember where I saw them, so don't ask:rolling:

Same place as the paint for the air grabber box, right, Mr. 69 Runner?

The dash looks great. I ended up putting a pair of 3.5 speakers under the factory center grill and some 6x9s in back. Would love something in the kick panels but the clearance on the emergency brake pedal side is minimal.

Your Dash looks great. Who's the manufacture of the speakers you popped in the dash, i really like the look. I like the 6 x 9s under the rear shelf also. The kick panels dont reallly give you enought space. Also who redid your cluster? Thanks and Good Luck!

That's probably the place Mr. gregs70.

Consider: if I gave everyone the answer they were looking for, what would become of man's search for knowledge? lol

You've known me for years and you know I've spent a LOT of time doing research so I had my own answers (sometimes for questions no one else had an answer for). I remember seeing something about that paint and the kicks. That should be enough information so others know they can find the answers...if they LOOK.

Well, I do work in DA HOOD so maybe I can get hooked up well enough to make my license plate frame rattle :rolling::rolling:

Anyway, I have the component system from Infiniti (if I remember correctly it's the Kappa perfect series or something like that - anyway, it wasn't the highest end but one step down) and it comes with two round 5" woofers and cross overs that I may stick in the back deck. I was just wondering if that's too much separation from the tweets. One way to find out - which is how I find out most things - is to just do it. My thoughts about going to the component system is to put the usable sound where you need it, by your ear (hence directional tweets), so I don't have to crank up a set of 6x9's to get it to the front. There are of course times when it's necessary to put the sound out :beavisnbutthead:. I think the key is to fill the car with sound from every corner and maintain a reasonable volume and preserve some sound quality without going overboard - after all there is a big block and an 18 spline trans along with road noises to filter out!

The 3.5's in the center sounds good too. I may try that as well but may be too close to the tweets. If I didn't have the space for the tweets they would be in there for sure. Small door panel speakers might be the next best option for the other speaker channel. I guess I'll let you know...

The dash cluster was redone from absolute junk by APT Instruments in MN. Absolutely first class work, which includes redoing the odometer numbers and testing/calibrating ALL the gauges, but don't expect to get out of there for a few hundred bucks. Here's an earlier post showing close up pics of the cluster and the tach upgrade I did http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=1632

The chrome bezel is from PG Classics and it's very nice! Some of the rocker switches are from them as well. One thing to note about the rocker switches. They look good but the attaching feature is the same on all of them so no easy way to replace the flasher rocker. Fortunately I had a good one.

Thanks for the kind words.

Looks pretty sweet from here. Love the instrument panel/cluster...Ouuuuu and the factory tach ""very nice""

Looks like you even used the correct suede paint on the dash. Nice touch.

Looks like you even used the correct suede paint on the dash. Nice touch.

Well, not exactly. I had to fake it so it looked right. The color is to code (PPG 9347 if I remember correctly) but the texture additive at my paint store was bad and they said NLA on that stuff so I had to think (yes, it hurt!). I laid down a few wet coats of lacquer and put the last coat on dry to simulate the texture. Came out OK I guess. Comparing it to my original 68 RR dash and others Ive seen over the years it's a bit coarse but not the boulders I had the first time around.

That's probably the place Mr. gregs70.

Consider: if I gave everyone the answer they were looking for, what would become of man's search for knowledge? lol

You've known me for years and you know I've spent a LOT of time doing research so I had my own answers (sometimes for questions no one else had an answer for). I remember seeing something about that paint and the kicks. That should be enough information so others know they can find the answers...if they LOOK.

Now you sound like an E body guy.lol

Auto Transport Service
Back