• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gravel driveways.. and potholes!!

747mopar

Local time
12:56 AM
Reaction score
I've lived here for 20 years and dealt with the never ending driveway headache's, POTHOLES!! It's that time of year to put down more gravel (typically 30 tons) but now it's skyrocketed in price, I used to pay $350 for a tandem axle, now it's $600 so it's time to try something different. Yesterday I was doing some research and couldn't believe I never thought of it... Bust up the hole first. A pothole is a hard packed bowl, filling it is like pouring cereal in a bowl, everything I read suggests busting up the base below the pothole using a box blade (with tines) then re-smoothing the surface? What I found interesting is not only do people do this to fix potholes but they also do it as a means to get more life out of their drives... bring the gravel back to the surface?

Think I'll go buy me a box blade since I had planned on getting one anyways and give it a try. Any members out there with some driveway tips?

Make sure you use a drag to smooth it out after you box blade it. My driveway is 60' wide and 225' long. I haven't put gravel down in 5 years. If you have never run a box blade find an out of the way spot to practice as different settings net different results.

My driveway problems have been greatly reduced when my heavy equipment operator redone mine using old busted up asphalt . You know, when they go in and grind up several layers of asphalt before repaving. That stuff was loose, spread well and
now has melted somewhat back together after a nice hot summer of packing it down. Worked really good for me and was not much more in cost at the time.....would highly recommend it for sure...

Make sure you use a drag to smooth it out after you box blade it. My driveway is 60' wide and 225' long. I haven't put gravel down in 5 years. If you have never run a box blade find an out of the way spot to practice as different settings net different results.
Never used one, I used to grade it with a Minneapolis Moline U302 and a 12 blade that weighed well over 1,000lbs. It made light work of it but loosing gravel was always a problem. My brother basically took over the old U302, ran it into the ground so it's time to retool. I bought a Massy 65, just need to get some implements now.

My driveway problems have been greatly reduced when my heavy equipment operator redone mine using old busted up asphalt . You know, when they go in and grind up several layers of asphalt before repaving. That stuff was loose, spread well and
now has melted somewhat back together after a nice hot summer of packing it down. Worked really good for me and was not much more in cost at the time.....would highly recommend it for sure...
I wish I could get more of that, it does work great! When I first moved over here the approach to the road was steep enough that a car would drag, fixed it many times but in short order it would be fetched out again. The township came through one year and dug out all of the old clay tile and replaced it, I told them they were welcome to dump all of it at the top of my drive and I haven't fixed that part since.

Well just remember, a little turns into a lot with a box blade if you're not on top of it.

I would recommend a land plane with scarifiers. More expensive than a regular box blade, but IMO, more useful. Especially when moving/ smoothing loose material like gravel.

I second the millings used.....they work awesome when rolled or packed in on a hot day. I will use them in front of my shop when the time comes to add to the driveway. That stuff seems to pack in like pavement once rolled in hot weather. The crusher run that packs in like concrete makes to much dust and crap dragged into the house and shop.

Asphalt grindings worked for me too. Lucky for us my buddy's body shop had a large empty lot and the state asked if they could stock pile on it.The state said use as much as we want.Less for them to move at a later date. It packs nice and yes in the summer heat it will bond up again.Follow with a fine gravel on top that will bond makes a great driveway.

I would recommend a land plane with scarifiers. More expensive than a regular box blade, but IMO, more useful. Especially when moving/ smoothing loose material like gravel.
I'm looking at different options, I think I know what your referring to? 1 guy used a Harley rake, seemed to work really well?

All the
Harley rakes I’ve seen are pretty dang expensive, but they do work. Here is what I mean by land plane:
28C13D92-05B8-4D0A-82AC-9A54B85A3021.jpg

I dealt with potholes and wash-boarding for years getting new gravel, blading it - my driveway is about 4/10ths of a mile. Finally decided to go with crushed asphalt as something to do without breaking the bank; $3800 laid in and rolled on a steamy hot day. It held up pretty well for 4 years then had some sections redone last summer. Only thing is when snow plowing, I keep the blade slightly raised to avoid digging into it...kind of a pain; but a heck of a lot better in summer keeping dust down and not skanking up my old ride...

All the
Harley rakes I’ve seen are pretty dang expensive, but they do work. Here is what I mean by land plane:
View attachment 1052034
Talked to our local Massey dealer, he recommended this. Pretty much what you said.. I didn't really want a cheap one that would disappoint, Woods seems to be a well respected brand. My only hesitation is I have a motorcross track and 11 acres where the box blade would be helpful as well.

Screenshot_20210108-102202.png

I dealt with potholes and wash-boarding for years getting new gravel, blading it - my driveway is about 4/10ths of a mile. Finally decided to go with crushed asphalt as something to do without breaking the bank; $3800 laid in and rolled on a steamy hot day. It held up pretty well for 4 years then had some sections redone last summer. Only thing is when snow plowing, I keep the blade slightly raised to avoid digging into it...kind of a pain; but a heck of a lot better in summer keeping dust down and not skanking up my old ride...
Mine is quite long as well, if you look hard enough you can see the road over on the far hill. We chip and sealed it a few years ago, what a waste of money, lasted one year and it was shot.
20190627_175105.jpg

Woods, land pride, and rhino make good heavy units. It would help smooth out your track. In my experience box blades have more of a learning curve. They are better at moving material and the land plane IMO is better at smoothing and leveling. I use both. Between our farm and our house we have nearly a mile of road that requires maintenance. Best thing I did at the house was to slop my driveway to one side and I haven’t had one pot hole pop up since. The farm will be getting a sloped driveway, eventually when I’ve got the time. We don’t get snow so I cannot offer advice if you will need to plow in winter.

I'm done with dealing with my gravel driveway after 21+ years (and I don't want to beat up the mopars once completed).

I'm going to have it paved with millings this spring.

When I worked on the farm we had lots of Woods attachments for our Case tractor.
Good stuff

Long gravel driveways, the worst thing about country living... No matter what you do, gravel driveways SUCK... Had one for 20 years..

Gorgeous property you have there.
I'm very fortunate to live on my own personal paradise:thumbsup:
Woods, land pride, and rhino make good heavy units. It would help smooth out your track. In my experience box blades have more of a learning curve. They are better at moving material and the land plane IMO is better at smoothing and leveling. I use both. Between our farm and our house we have nearly a mile of road that requires maintenance. Best thing I did at the house was to slop my driveway to one side and I haven’t had one pot hole pop up since. The farm will be getting a sloped driveway, eventually when I’ve got the time. We don’t get snow so I cannot offer advice if you will need to plow in winter.

Our drive is almost zero maintenance throughout the spring, summer and fall but as soon as you start getting that freezing and thawing it goes to ****! I have a Can Am with a plow, I typically only plow a couple times a year (any more than 4" of snow).
I'm done with dealing with my gravel driveway after 21+ years (and I don't want to beat up the mopars once completed).

I'm going to have it paved with millings this spring.
My driveway is smooth and in excellent shape during the driving months, winter is when it goes south.

Auto Transport Service
Back