• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great news then not great news.

Airwolf222b

Local time
8:49 PM
Reaction score

Good and bad news. So the manifold and carb were installed on my 318 today. It’s running great.​

Now the not great news. There’s a little trans slippage. I believe it has to do with the kickdown linkage and spring. I need a spring for the kickdown but I dont have the proper plate for it to attach to. Does anyone have any pictures of a 318 they swapped manifold and carburetor on and how they linked that up? I can’t find any decent pics of a similar setup to mine to go by. I’m sure there’s a bracket or something I need that’s different. The one I’m using now is kind of a homemade deal.

This is a 1973 roadrunner that has the 318 and I swapped the two barrel for a 4 barrel carb.

IMG_4379.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

Don't drive your car until you have the spring. Make sure kick down linkage is adjusted . It's really throttle pressure control linkage which increases pressurize in trans as you accelerate.

I know it's not factory, but I went with a Lokar setup. It's also a 340, but I think it's the same as the 318. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
20230615_081603.jpg

Adjusting the kickdown (pressure linkage) is in the FSM but you'll have to make minor adjustments for the different setup you have. Keep in mind that the kickdown linkage is supposed to move with the throttle linkage....and moves at the instant the throttle is cracked open.

You have to make sure the throttle valve is being fully depressed at wide open throttle. Simply unhook the linkage push the rod till it bottoms out, and hold the carb at WOT see if the relationship is correct. Leaving the spring off will give it more throttle pressure , make it shift later and harder, not slipping as you describe.

Great video on how to adjust the trans kickdown. Shows a big block but the principal is the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back