• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess what I found on the side of the road/in the dumpster 9-10-23 edition.

YY1

Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
So, we're renovating a rental house after an 8.5 year tenant.
Around the corner, a house was on the market and sold last weekend.
This past weekend the sellers had a yard sale and then put stuff out by the curb.
As I drove by, I thought one item was a computer case or a subwoofer (hey, I've found both).

It was a subwoofer but a really cheap one.
As I turned to get back in my car, hey!
Is that a safe? Yep.
Think I'll just grab that.

No key, but it looked new.
I was gonna have fun trying to pick it or drill it out.
Wonder what's inside?
Gun?
Old coins?
Classic car titles?
Crime evidence (is that a human finger?)

When I got it to the shop I noticed it had a number on the lock face, just like a filing cabinet.
...so I ordered a key from ebay for $6.

20230911_172411.jpg

But, just like Geraldo and Al Capone's vault......

20230911_172421.jpg

Bupkis.

Except I now have a $50 safe that someone was too stupid to order a $6 key for.

Last edited:
I have one of those safes,it's good to know that for six bucks any thief can order a key on ebay and have access to the safe! Time to upgrade the safe!

They'd need to be in your house and lay eyes on it up pretty close first.

They'd need to be in your house and lay eyes on it up pretty close first.
I would assume that they would have already taken possession of it when they ordered the key. We all need to buy a real safe and bolt it to the floor and or wall.

safes need to be mounted securely, with the mounting only accessible from the inside.......... otherwise, it's just an attractive (to thieves) heavy box

Preferably behind a picture.

"Dogs Playing Poker" is a particularly good choice.

If it was a Liberty Safe you could just call them and tell them you're the FBI and they'll give you the combination.

Twice now, we’ve taken old concrete encased safes out of homes. The one had been in the house since the family had it built in the fifties. The grandfather had the house built. The other was in the big master bathroom, hidden as a sitting bench. It was locked and the key wasn’t given when the house was bought. We were hoping for them, there was something in it. It was easy to cut it open once it was out, nothing.

I would assume that they would have already taken possession of it when they ordered the key. We all need to buy a real safe and bolt it to the floor and or wall.
Or have it stored covertly, where it presence wouldn't be obvious

When I was a kid a friend of mine family had a safe in the basement but they didn’t know the combination. We would spend hours just spinning the dial and trying to get it open. One day I was randomly spinning the dial and got the safe to open. Unfortunately we closed and locked the safe and it never g opened again. Many years later I learned we could have figured out the combination had we locked the handle with the door open.

I even question the "fire-proof-ness" of it.

There's hardly any overlap to the recessed area of the lid that overlaps the ridge on the main body.

My bet is there would be smoke damage.

My plan is to use it as a gun safe.

Was going to ask if it might be fire-rated; there would be some ID on the labels. If it is, always a nice addition to store some important records, photos, etc. more than just for theft security.

Auto Transport Service
Back