• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guy at Year One says most reproduction parts are junk!!!! LOLOLOL

idrivemopar

Local time
9:10 PM
Reaction score
I must have hit a nerve with this guy at Year One today, as I was discussing why MOPAR performance does not produce water pumps with the correct housing any more because I got one that was right, but since then they all use the same housing used for the 6 blade pump now and is the same housing/pump used by big box parts stores but Year One is still charging a significantly higher price.

Any way he got pissed said I was preaching to the choir, there was nothing he could do and basically told me that most reproduction parts are junk and MOPAR performance is no longer doing application specific reproductions, and then when on to ramble about Lee Iacocca and Chryslers purchase of Fiat, and good luck building a trailer queen show car these days!!!!

Just thought this was totally funny coming from a company that "supposedly" specializes in getting the right restoration parts for your classic car!!!

It was humorous!!!

tell him their big block six pac setups are junk also

Based on his comments today, I think he would agree with you! LOL

Year one is over priced on everything. I would have to be pretty hard up to buy anything from them. Every time I visit their site , it just pisses me off.

Yeah, but at least their shipping is reasonable, oh wait - not it's not.

All parts manufacturers are making junk these days. Everything from China is a disaster, I would buy nothing ever from Year One oR Eastwood who also is way over priced. Another Vendor is Por 15 which is over priced.

The salesman must have been steaming about this topic for awhile and you stumbled into his moment of truth!

The salesman must have been steaming about this topic for awhile and you stumbled into his moment of truth!

Actually he said he has these types of conversations with customers every day. He was not a salesman, but one of their tech guys!

Year one is over priced on everything. I would have to be pretty hard up to buy anything from them. Every time I visit their site , it just pisses me off.

I feel the same way. The only item I order from yearone is a wiring harness. For some reason yearone is the only vendor that sells a M&H wiring harness.

I bought a rocker panel molding for a GTO 20 years ago from yearone and it wasn't worth a dam.

Actually he said he has these types of conversations with customers every day. He was not a salesman, but one of their tech guys!
Well, He's right and he should know. Most of the crap they sell is junk, as it is with a lot of the other vendors. What cracks me up looking through their websites and catalogs (not just Year One but most of them) is that they sell "reproduction" parts that you can easily buy at your local parts store for a fraction of their prices.

So then...What's the solution or answer? As the Global manufacturing continually increases and off shore products being more and more prevalent and produced, what are we..The USA...supposed to do about it? Ya'll state flatly, "made in the USA is the only way for me" but it just ain't there any more. As long as the Unions in this Country are they way they are, then there won't be any thing else to buy, "Made in America." Case in point...VW built a manufacturing plant in Chattanooga, TN to build the VW Passat. It is staffed by Americans that earn on average $19.00 per hour plus overtime and make approximately $50,000 plus per annum. The UAW is now trying to come in and organize the labor force to obtain in excess of $25.00 per hour with Union benefits. The VW company provides Health Insurance and incentives for retirement, but in essence is a "Right to Work" shop and for the most part the majority of the employees are very satisfied with the conditions and pay. Now if this UAW thing comes about, where will the costs of their proposals and contract implementations come from? Not from the workers but from the consumers. They will have to pay more for Union products that will most likely be nothing but junk. It really is quite the conundrum isn't it? Year one has always had the "better than though" mentality and as long as we...Year One...has an item then we can charge what we so choose. So consequently you get nothing but junk available for the market. Year One does have some great products but for the most part, I try and steer away from them as much as possible. My solution to all this is get rid of Unions, pay a decent wage plus incentives such as overtime, etc. and price it fairly, and we then can all boast about the "Made in America" monicker. Until then, I see no other easing....:angry1:

:icon_lol:I wouldn't worry to much about the union here in Tennessee I don't think it will happen. I work for Magna and my plant ships parts all over the country and to Canada and yes we make a dash assembly that goes straight to VW in Chattanooga. It depends on how well VW treat their people as to how much success a union will have but it usually doesn't go well for unions here ,I've seen it before they always fail to get them in.As far as Magna goes we are not union but we do have an employee charter and a corporate constitution that really works and stands up for us as we need,and it works well .We have an open door policy that can be used at any time and can go straight to corp if need be.We also have a fairness committee of shop floor employees not supervisors or management! If someone is not being treated fairly we have a formal hearing which includes ,the committee ,the general manager ,hr manager, and a corp rep, it's like a trail and believe me it works! I guess my point is that if the companies would have systems like these set in place then unions wouldn't be such a big scary factor to people in general ,and yes they pay us here very well and we have great benefits too.So take a little pride in the fact that made in America is still here because our company(Magna)has 20-25% of our parts in every car or truck you see on the road today!! This includes Honda, BMW,Nissan,Ford,mercedes ,Kia,Gm.Porsche,Vw,Toyota and Dodge.We are currently the number one hot stamp facilities in the United States with new technologies as well. So when you see these foreign cars driving around don't forget most of them are made in "THE UNITED STATES" with quite a few parts made in "THE UNITED STATES" so it's not like all theses vehicles are imported here from there . Not everything you see or think you see comes from off shore my friend . Don't get me wrong there is a lot of things I think we should make here and I agree 100% on that!! We just have to stand up for what we believe and know is right and if it's not we have to change it, and sometimes that has to start with just one person and grow.God bless

The only thing that will make these outfits stop producing and selling crap is if you and I stop buying it. If any manufacturing company is making a garbage product and it sells, they will continue making it. There is no incentive for them to improve the quality of their product if the consumer doesn't demand it. It's Economics 101, if they can't sell their crap to us, they will be forced to change. Either they will improve the quality of their product or go under. Except for a few monopoly controlled consumer products (gas, electricity, etc.) consumers control the market. As long as people shop for the cheapest crap they can find, that's what they will get.

So then...What's the solution or answer? As the Global manufacturing continually increases and off shore products being more and more prevalent and produced, what are we..The USA...supposed to do about it? Ya'll state flatly, "made in the USA is the only way for me" but it just ain't there any more. As long as the Unions in this Country are they way they are, then there won't be any thing else to buy, "Made in America." Case in point...VW built a manufacturing plant in Chattanooga, TN to build the VW Passat. It is staffed by Americans that earn on average $19.00 per hour plus overtime and make approximately $50,000 plus per annum. The UAW is now trying to come in and organize the labor force to obtain in excess of $25.00 per hour with Union benefits. The VW company provides Health Insurance and incentives for retirement, but in essence is a "Right to Work" shop and for the most part the majority of the employees are very satisfied with the conditions and pay. Now if this UAW thing comes about, where will the costs of their proposals and contract implementations come from? Not from the workers but from the consumers. They will have to pay more for Union products that will most likely be nothing but junk. It really is quite the conundrum isn't it? Year one has always had the "better than though" mentality and as long as we...Year One...has an item then we can charge what we so choose. So consequently you get nothing but junk available for the market. Year One does have some great products but for the most part, I try and steer away from them as much as possible. My solution to all this is get rid of Unions, pay a decent wage plus incentives such as overtime, etc. and price it fairly, and we then can all boast about the "Made in America" monicker. Until then, I see no other easing....:angry1:

Not to take this in a political direction, but I can make an observation building from your point that a large percentage of high priced "made in America" stuff is going directly to pay for taxes and fees imposed by our very own gov't. Many consumers want to "stick it to the man" by voting for higher taxes but they are too stupid to realize it just comes back to bite them in the *** because businesses do not pay taxes!! They pass that cost onto the stupid consumer.

I must have hit a nerve with this guy at Year One today, as I was discussing why MOPAR performance does not produce water pumps with the correct housing any more because I got one that was right, but since then they all use the same housing used for the 6 blade pump now and is the same housing/pump used by big box parts stores but Year One is still charging a significantly higher price.

Any way he got pissed said I was preaching to the choir, there was nothing he could do and basically told me that most reproduction parts are junk and MOPAR performance is no longer doing application specific reproductions, and then when on to ramble about Lee Iacocca and Chryslers purchase of Fiat, and good luck building a trailer queen show car these days!!!!

Just thought this was totally funny coming from a company that "supposedly" specializes in getting the right restoration parts for your classic car!!!

It was humorous!!!

I haven't bought anything from Year One in many years, just because I'm tired of their 20% and 30% off teasers. They never have anything on sale that I want - everything is "discount exempt". Their shipping is a ripoff too. I've always liked Summit but they're Chebbie guys and they don't have much in the MoPar world. They do have good service, good prices, and good shipping, at least it's all much better than Year One. If you want excellent service, excellent selection, and overall, excellent experience with buying MoPar stuff, go to Mancini. They beat everyone when all things are considered.

Auto Transport Service
Back