• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard starting hot, 318 eddy carb

d fark

Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
My 318 Satellite starts cold easy, one pump to set the choke and fires up. Hot starting is the problem. I have to put it to the floor and crank for 10 second or so, and it will eventually fire up. I would think there is enough fuel in the bowl to supply it to start until the mech. fuel pump will pump fuel to the carb. The carb is Edelbrock 600 cfm. Electric choke Stock 318, aluminum intake. Need a couple ideas to try. Thanks have a good day.

Improper choke operation, vapor lock, float level/needle-seat are some possible culprits.

Ethanol boils off at 173.

What's the solution? Carb spacer?

I have the same issue with my bone stock (fresh rebuild) 318 2 barrel. Its the fuel. I used ethanol free that I got out of the marina for one tank and it didnt do it at all. I was gonna try a heat shield and phenolic spacer but I want it to look bone stock so at a cross roads...

First thing I'd do is take it for a ride and get it hot then let it sit for a while, pull the air filter and pump the throttle and watch the squirters. If you don't have a good solid flow then it's a good bet the fuel is boiling out of the carb. I fixed mine by adding a phenolic spacer and insulating the fuel line wherever it came close to the exhaust. I've also noticed that if I run anything but 92-94 octane the symptoms are worse, I need to compare alcohol content between the different octanes to see if that's the reasoning. Good luck

On my Dart before I went EFI (that's a long story) the things that helped were a rear mount electric pump, a carb spacer, and rig up a Wix filter / return system like the 440/ hemi cars had. Wix 33040/41 has a built in return orifice. Also consider blanking off the heat crossover passages. If the engine "leans" towards a cooling problem, that is a factor.

I thought hot re-starts issues were a BB thing. Mine has no overheating problem, and I won't go efi. Spacer is part of the solution. Alcohol in the fuel is the problem. We don't need it.

Started car cold, watched choke operation, seems ok. Took plugs out after 50 mile trip they were a darker brown, looked good. No signs of overheating. I found out that if just turn the key and let it crank without any accelerator it starts better after just a few seconds of cranking. Turned the idle speed up just a bit. Need to check timing just to confirm. Tried to isolate fuel line away from direct heat. I guess I can live with it until the big block goes in.

Ed carbs are worse than Holley for hot soak, generally. This is because the float bowls are right down against the manifold. Modern gas (alky) is the large blame

It sits there, hot, and boils in the carb, and "pukes" gas up and over the boosters and into the manifold

Auto Transport Service
Back