• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harley goes electric

I grew up in a biker family with 30 + Harley's and Indians all over the driveways and yards every day. They did indeed leak back in the day. So much so that it became part of the American lexicon of idioms. They don't leak much today but the saying is still around. No big deal.
Just like how some people think the M16 today is a jam master like the ones from the Vietnam era. Same goes with people, folks will remember your faults more than your accomplishments

Just like how some people think the M16 today is a jam master like the ones from the Vietnam era. Same goes with people, folks will remember your faults more than your accomplishments
Technology advances, machining gets tighter, materials advance...etc... everything gets better over time. Like the difference between a Model A and a Hellcat.

As far as an Electric Harley goes.....why not? It would be quieter, letting you hear nature more, be able to speak to your rider, hear music etc. The lack of loud pipes to warn ******** not to change lanes into you would need to be overcome though...lol.

If they don't leak they are out of oil.

I pulled a bike from storage over the weekend in order to return it to the road. It was last licensed in 03.
Not a drop on the floor.
I hope there is oil in it....

Torqueflights were junk?

Lighten up and enjoy the ride.
RC and I are friends. I wouldn't write or do anything to offend or attack him.
His comment about "HDs leaking" is common, and a common jab at the brand.
You read more into it than my friend, RC did. And that's all I'm going to say about this.
As far as the brotherhood of HD owners being a myth, I disagree. Motorcycle riders, especially in my age group, tend to have a camaraderie, which goes deeper amongst HD owners. YMMV

The other day, I heard a diesel mechanic say-

"if there ain't no oil under it- there ain't no oil in it".

First I've ever heard of a "suck" reputation for the TF trans.

Conversely, All I ever heard was how good and how strong they were, and how gm was still using 2 speeds as standard equipment well after the TF was in production.

Last edited:
First I've ever heard of a "suck" reputation for the TF trans.

Conversely, All I ever heard was how good and how strong the were, and how gm was still using 2 speeds as standard equipment well after the TF was in production.
I think it was more of the 80s 40/42 rh which was an overdrive a500 or 518 but anyway if you've ever talked to anyone who isn't a mopar fan they will complain about the transmissions

A quick aside...
Herb McCandless told me that in the 60s GM and Ford manual transmission Racers were swapping in Mopar transmissions because they were stronger.
Now I don't know when the M-22 "rock crusher" first appeared on the scene, but I would suspect that for a factory transmission, it would be hard to beat for strength.
Anyone else heard about this manual transmission swap by the other guys?

In the late 80's up until the late 90's even early 00's NO ONE could build a transmission that lasted the length of the warranty.

NO ONE.

RC and I are friends.

giphy.gif

Hmm....My 92 Dakota A518 is still going strong. Btw the A 500/518 are overdrive units. The 42/46 units are also overdrive but with different controls. The problems with them was the fluids of the day were not up to the task.

As for camaraderie between bikers, I agree. But the brotherhood thing is manufactured by HD. Everyone wants to be a "biker" and be like them. Hence when a HD is purchased you must also buy the uniform And...the dealers have that right on the showroom floor. Now you can be different....just like everyone else. Plus you can join H.O.G and get a patch just like the "bro's"...

Last edited:
Hmm....My 92 Dakota A518 is still going strong. Btw the A 500/518 are overdrive units. The 42/46 units are also overdrive but with different controls. The problems with them was the fluids of the day were not up to the task.

As for camaraderie between bikers, I agree. But the brotherhood thing is manufactured by HD. Everyone wants to be a "biker" and be like them. Hence when a HD is our based you must also buy the uniform And...the dealers have that right on the showroom floor. Now you can be different....just like everyone else. Plus you can join H.O.G and get a patch just like the "bro's"...
Agree. I always disliked going into the dealers, too many wanna be bad guys hanging around and posing. All my bikes, except the last one, were bought from other riders or smaller shops that were in the life. That was one thing about my Dad that drew other guys to him and his bunch, he was a straight up biker and a good family man. No BS about him at all, and no posing. He liked to say, when he was trying to be funny, "I'm like Popeye, I yam what I yam." If ya didn't care for him, that was okay. He didn't hold it against you. But, if you were friends and you fucked him over....you had better be planning a one way trip to the other side of the Moon. Those men I grew up around were the best guys I ever knew. They had to be, for my Dad to let them influence his 5 boys and one daughter. Solid citizens.

My Dad, Carl, circa 1950..on one of his many Harley's. Think it was a 1950-51 Hydra-Glide panhead...74ci

1016191402.jpg
ISd4kahauimyyk0000000000.jpg
This the house I grew up in, although it looked nothing like this then...lol.

Last edited:
And notice he is wearing the uniform of the times back then. They all wore that cap.
Good on yer dad.
But, the traits you described to me, aren't biker or brotherhood traits. Sounds to me more like a straight up honest guy. Now those bikes leaked!

Auto Transport Service
Back