• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you looked at 2nd gen charger prices lately?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:16 AM
Reaction score
Looks like their only way is up.
Last time i looked up hagerty it was about 50k in #3 condition. Now its almost 90k.
Just checked for sale listings with autotempest and i found no good car significantly below 100k.

Even as a owner i'm not happy about that because this crazy market puts a lot of other cars out of my reach aswell.

Who are the guys buying #1 non hemi 69 charger r/t's for 165k?
Mine cost about 3800 bucks new back in 1969 which is about 30k in todays money.

Even with the hemi it would be a lot of dough.
I had the chance to buy a 69 hemi charger, repainted & with a factory replacement engine otherwise nice looking for 90k about 2 years ago.
Had to turn it down because i did not have that kind of money. -.-

BTW: An unpleasant side effect of climbing car prices is parallel climbing of labor and parts.

Guess i'm out of the high end muscle car game due to being middle class aka poor.

That's too fuckin high! They are out of reach for the average Mopar enthusiast! The third generation Chargers are still somewhat reachable! Lol

20220509_194414.jpg

20220509_194450.jpg

20220507_133153.jpg

20220424_194458.jpg

Here's your chance to get one cheap.

I bought a bunch of tickets. Might be my only chance of getting a 2nd gen Charger.

3513055d-9c8e-4ca3-b796-5018df0afcc6.jpeg

Here's a link:

p.s. in the write up they valued the car at $137,500. No way. MUCH more than that for a '69 Charger 500 manual transmission car that has been completely restored.

I noticed in the auction results section of my latest Muscle Machines magazine any decent muscle car was over $100K. I think the only one that wasn't was a '77 Z28 Camaro and it was $40K.

been crazy for a decade or more
just more crazy now

Mecum syndrome, people think their rusted-out hulls
are worth gold for a spaghetti strainer holding rust
even for the basket cases

they fail to see or realize, the cars at an auction setting/s
are done & $50k-$70k (or more) spent
(lil' less "maybe" if you can do all of it yourself & put out a real quality product)
to do them correctly, why they get big bucks

that rusted-out hull sitting/rotting in the back forty
or stored rusting away for decades isn't, but they still list them as such

Smiley I've been saying that for 10 damn years Randy Quaid Independence day.png

it ain't 1974
when I bought my 1st 68 Charger R/T for $350, in great condition
I used to buy them from $250- $1500 all day long, really nice cars
*I've had a dozen of them over the years, I even had 5 at one time

people were having them hauled off to the Junk Yards
they (or most weren't) weren't "collector cars" then either

& I wouldn't even think of doing that today

Last edited:
I am bringing this one back from the dead. I sold it to a friend of mine for $500 four years ago, and bought it back for the same $500 two years ago. I had planned to build a Daytona clone out of it,and once I bought the Daytona stock car, I decided to cut the carcus loose. I had already bought all the new AMD sheetmetal for it, so it was a no brainer to buy it back.

20200809_103403.jpg

We really are priced right out of our own hobby! I couldn't afford to buy my own cars at today's prices! I was denied a $4000 loan to buy an orange 70 Superbird 440,4 speed,Dana,in 1983! The loan officer said that old Plymouth will never be worth $4000! I hope that asshole chokes on a corndog while watching Barrett Jackson,remembering that kid he screwed out of owning a Superbird!

We really are priced right out of our own hobby! I couldn't afford to buy my own cars at today's prices! I was denied a $4000 loan to buy an orange 70 Superbird 440,4 speed,Dana,in 1983! The loan officer said that old Plymouth will never be worth $4000! I hope that asshole chokes on a corndog while watching Barrett Jackson,remembering that kid he screwed out of owning a Superbird!
I chuckle to myself whenever I think back to 1977 when I bought the first GTX (nice numbers matching original for $1500), and people laughed in my face when I predicted that some day those old Mopars would be worth a fortune. Guess who got the last laugh.
70 GTX.jpg

People used to tell me that I was crazy when I said these cars are going to be worth money some day! I pulled up with my 70 Charger R/T SE and my uncle said where's the "A",I said what "A",he said the one that goes between the "R" and the "T"! Lol

Auto Transport Service
Back