• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Having a bunch of work done

The Rebel

Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
Got a whole laundry list of items being done by my local restoration shop (http://www.automotiverestorations.com/ari/home/) as I doubt the average Joe's Garage would do it right the 1st time.

Have no idea when the last time any serious maintenance was done as my guess is the last owner just did the basic oil changes at the nearest Jiffy Lube and let everything go based on what I found as well as what my shop found. Car has been at the shop for the last week & will get back in 2 weeks. Once this is all done I can do the rest of the other basic maintenance myself moving forward. Needed to get a good baseline. Also as this will be up on a lift, I'm having them get the #'s for me so I can see if this is truly a #'s matching car or not. The previous owner said it was all original except the Edlebrock Proformance Carb & intake based off the guy he bought of off. Said engine was rebuilt as well.

What these guys can do in 3 weeks would take me probably 6 months to do not to mention I don't have a lift, specialized tools and I'm not an expert so there'd be a huge learning curve. Wish I had someone to guide me thru all of this as I'm a hands on type and like getting my hands dirty rather than paying someone else to do it.

Replace oil and filter with zinc rich oil, Replace spark plugs, Air filter, PCV valve, Fuel filter, Check PCV system, All belts and hoses in good condition, Adjust carburetor for best idle and running, Power steering fluid, clean and full. Brake fluid for moisture content, good condition, Drain, flush and refill cooling system, Fixed Leaking seam on LS breather to stop oil leak.

Kick down not working correctly and downshift erratic. Kick-down linkage not installed correctly. Install linkage correctly and install missing return spring.

Diagnose excessive rear axle noise. Evaluate lubricant, thin and dirty. Drain, flush and refill differential with high grade synthetic gear oil.

Service transmission, change oil and filter.

Valve train is noisy on right side. Before addressing this issue we would like to do a compression and leak down test to insure all else is in good order. Remove valve cover and inspect valve train for source of noise. Check for loose or worn components and advise. Photograph cylinder head numbers while valve cover is off to verify that heads are correct.

Lift vehicle. Solvent soak underbody and engine bay. Brush as needed and reapply solvents to dislodge grime. Hot water pressure wash and forced air dry to clean up and prepare for service.

Noted weak servo action at low speeds. Diagnose: engine has aggressive camshaft and is not generating enough vacuum at idle (10" Hg) for brake booster. Recommend installing auxiliary vacuum pump to provide more vacuum.

Inspect steering and suspension. Correct worn items as follows: Replace loose and worn inner and outer tie-rod ends and adjusting sleeves. Lubricate chassis. Laser align front end. Remove & replace failing rear leaf springs, shackle bushings and hardware. Replace worn REAR air shocks with heavy duty shock absorbers.

Last edited:
Well, all good things to do and nothing sounds unreasonable, so far, but you did not mention price. It is water under the bridge now, but I would have tackled the fluids, spark plugs, belts and hoses myself and then called in the experts.

The vacuum canister is a good idea, but takes up lots of room. Some of my friends just live with the harder pedal rather than do the canister. (My 383 Road Runner is about 11.5 inches at idle and I chose to stay manual brakes, but I digress)

Otherwise I think you are on track. Steering and suspension is sometimes left best to the experts.

Yea price is about $8K. Wife's gonna love that! Time to get more stuff up on eBay! I'll be doing the tuneups moving forward but as I was looking to get a base line figured might as well get it all done all at the same time and just be done with it. The breaks were my biggest concern as I knew something was wrong. I could step on it with 2 feet and it would be hard to stop. Could't lock it up if I tried. If I had to stop in an emergency I'd never come to a complete stop and just plow thru.

Well, all good things to do and nothing sounds unreasonable, so far, but you did not mention price. It is water under the bridge now, but I would have tackled the fluids, spark plugs, belts and hoses myself and then called in the experts.

The vacuum canister is a good idea, but takes up lots of room. Some of my friends just live with the harder pedal rather than do the canister. (My 383 Road Runner is about 11.5 inches at idle and I chose to stay manual brakes, but I digress)

Otherwise I think you are on track. Steering and suspension is sometimes left best to the experts.

Yea price is about $8K.
How much of that is labor?

Maybe try to reduce this somewhat. You can wait for the rear springs awhile. You can also place the canister on yourself (and with help do the rear springs).

I'd reevaluate your plan. Get it running best possible, safe brakes and steering, and try addressing the other down the road and yourself.

Labor is about $5,500, Parts $1,600, Waste disposal + tax $620. I was thinking about that but decided to pull the plug seeing they had it there. The car has air shocks on it now to compensate for the negative arch. Had a buddy of mine in HS blow his air shocks and his tires got all chewed up getting it home, if I remember correctly as it was about 25+ years ago.

How much of that is labor?

Maybe try to reduce this somewhat. You can wait for the rear springs awhile. You can also place the canister on yourself (and with help do the rear springs).

I'd reevaluate your plan. Get it running best possible, safe brakes and steering, and try addressing the other down the road and yourself.

I was guessing 4200 for all, I was waaaaay off. How many hours in that 5500 spent on #s verify + air/oil/fuel? Aren't these things you could do with some $80 jackstands?
Would 24+8 have got you a 32-35K car that had the bugs worked out?

5500 in labor, wow.....whats their hourly rate? Even at 100/HR....That is 55hrs

That sounds like a painful - ouch - tune up for the wallet. I'd ditch the air shocks too and if you want a little more lift than your new leaf springs give you try buying a pair of " add a leaf" from Summit. They give you two more inches of lift and are very simple to attach to your new springs. They only cost about $35 and are short prices of leaf Spring. I used them on my car to get a bit more lift for the tire I put on the car. Worked like a charm for no money. Good luck with your project.

I was guessing 4200 for all, I was waaaaay off.
I guessed 6 grand for everything. Considering most shop labor is $120/hour it adds up faster than you think.

Piece of mind is what The Rebel is buying without much down time of the car. If it is in the budget then go for it!

I guessed 6 grand for everything. Considering most shop labor is $120/hour it adds up faster than you think.

Piece of mind is what The Rebel is buying without much down time of the car. If it is in the budget then go for it!
Ah ha, I just clicked on the shop website. Not knocking spending the money if you don't have the time, just following the tone of his purchase thread and others where he's gone thru the car.

I was expecting about $5K but seeing this is a restoration shop rather than Joe's garage I can see where the price is where it's at. The way I look at it's all getting properly done and I'll take it from here on out. I hardly ever get anything for myself so this is my gift to me.

Looking at about 50hrs total. As far as getting a more expensive car, I looked well over a year (online + local) which I know isn't all that long but most of the cars I looked into had a lot of mysteries and were in that $40-$50K price range. This car had everything I was looking for and was for sale at a fair price, so I pulled the trigger rather than spending another 2 years looking. As we all know B Bodies are continuing to go up in $ based on all of the Auctions, TV shows...etc...

I was guessing 4200 for all, I was waaaaay off. How many hours in that 5500 spent on #s verify + air/oil/fuel? Aren't these things you could do with some $80 jackstands?
Would 24+8 have got you a 32-35K car that had the bugs worked out?

just dont let them talk you into tearing the whole car down for paint...
because thatll be another 10k prolly..

Well, the coin has two sides. I bought my car to actually wrench on it, BUT I will admit the disc brake conversion nightmare had me considering a low ball offer to just trailer the aggravation out of my life. My car was on jackstands NINE WEEKS due to wrong parts, missing parts, defective parts, and the fact that I work 50+ hours per week. Local shops quoted "...at minimum $1500 labor........" to put the disc conversion kit on, and I wonder if that would have been a better decision.

I have the attitude that if I can't perform the work on this car, then a eBay fire sale it is, and I hope my next project on this car goes better as I do want to keep her.

Long way to my point: The up side to having a shop do the work keeps the downtime to a minimum and frustration is eliminated.

Yea sometimes you have to spend more $ for a lot less aggravation. That's why I'll never fly out of NY (except for Westchester) or NJ.

Long way to my point: The up side to having a shop do the work keeps the downtime to a minimum and frustration is eliminated.

Labor is about $5,500, Parts $1,600, Waste disposal + tax $620.

Where are they getting $620 for sales tax? CT sales tax is 6.35% that's only $101.00 on $1,600.00 worth of parts. Even if they charged you sales tax on the labor & parts together, that's still $450.00. Something aint right.

0b8ed491b24998d047cc9c9f22df0c97c2bdd9f75b5f6348402b790c1c216728.jpg

Last edited:
Ah ha, I just clicked on the shop website. Not knocking spending the money if you don't have the time, just following the tone of his purchase thread and others where he's gone thru the car.
I didn't see the shop mentioned,,,,,who is it??

ikr.
i vaguely wondered where the hell i can get a job restoring an old mopar for 5 k labor.
esp when its the basics and not even a full blown resto!
was it a shop that does ferraris?? lol

I was just rounding the #'s but that also included the fee for disposing the fluids. Not sure MA charges for that.

Where are they getting $620 for sales tax? CT sales tax is 6.35% that's only $101.00 on $1,600.00 worth of parts. Even if they charged you sales tax on the labor & parts together, that's still $450.00. Something aint right.

(http://www.automotiverestorations.com/ari/home/)

I didn't see the shop mentioned,,,,,who is it??

Auto Transport Service
Back