• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawk-Rod: The Restoration

I've been following your thread for a while. Amazing work and work well thought thru and done. I wish you the best when you turn that key. I remember when mine was refreshed pretty significantly and the dyno guy says well if we have a good engine here it should pop off in 2 seconds. Which she did. I almost peed in my pants I was so happy then that stroked 440 roared to life,
Im wishing the same for you - particularly since you did all the work yourself.

Good luck and can't wait to see and hear the end result!

I've been following your thread for a while. Amazing work and work well thought thru and done. I wish you the best when you turn that key. I remember when mine was refreshed pretty significantly and the dyno guy says well if we have a good engine here it should pop off in 2 seconds. Which she did. I almost peed in my pants I was so happy then that stroked 440 roared to life,
Im wishing the same for you - particularly since you did all the work yourself.

Good luck and can't wait to see and hear the end result!

Thanks for following along. The car did fire first time, but I am now having some timing issues - see my video posted on the previous page. I suspect the distributor may be an issue, but it could just be setup problems on my part. I will be calling FAST today to see if I can get some help...

Hawk

Yeah, i know that once You get it dialed...the fire will be superior w higher rev threshold. Your Fortitude got You here, it will surely soldier on through this last bit

Hawk, That car looks so good! inside and out and sounds smooth, i love your little computer set up!!! Have fun bud!!! :)

A Series of Unfortunate Events

So I feel like I am in a Lemony Snicket book at this point...

While I was working in the timing issues, my car suddenly stalled, and in this case, I could hear is wasn't due to timing. It seemed like it ran out of gas. It turns out my fuel pressure had dropped to 28 PSI, and the system wants 43 PSI, although FAST states that anywhere between 30 and 60 is acceptable.

I removed the fuel filter and it was clean as a whistle. I also just put a fitting in its place to bypass it al together and retested the fuel pressure. Same issue 28 PSI. So then I checked the pressure regulator. It was able to regulate the pressure as it should BELOW 28 PSI, but when it reached 28 PSI the pressure flat lined, even though the regulator could still be adjusted for more.

So bottom line it appears that I have a bad fuel pump after about 15 minutes of running the car... :angryfire:

OK. Then I go to make some phone calls to get some assistance. First I call FAST about the timing issues. I must say I was more than disappointed at their tech support. Look, I know that I could be doing something stupid, but I also know that maybe, just maybe, I am not. The purpose of tech support is to LISTEN to the guy on the other end of the phone and try to determine what is going on. Basically, all FAST tech support wanted to do is send me the instructions for installing the distributor and get off the phone. He refused to acknowledge or even consider that there could be a phasing issue with the distributor. It didn't seem to matter that I was able to prove to him that there are errors in the FAST instructions, and refused to even consider or check out if my distributor seemed off based on my pictures. So basically FAST tech support, or at least this one guy, sucks. I am on my own fellas.

So on to my fuel pump. There it is a better story from a tech support guy. I called Hot Rod City, which is where I got my fuel tank. I spoke to a knowledgeable and helpful guy who was actually interested in helping me. What a concept! When I walked him through what I had observed he agreed that the fuel pump seemed to be the culprit. Unfortunately, my tank and fuel pump are over a year old. It doesn't matter that I have only run it 15 minutes, because the warranty starts when sold. He was apologetic, and sold me a new fuel pump at cost and had it immediately sent out. Interestingly, he suggested that I NOT use a separate in-line fuel filter because the pump has an appropriate one right in the tank. He said a fuel filter can just put additional stress on the pump.

So now I need to wait for my fuel pump, and then drop my tank and fix that before I continue with the timing. So today I will start tackling my brake pedal issue as to why it is not at the proper height. I am way behind now and need to start making some serious progress or my trip plans may be in trouble.

Sorry for the long, boring, wordy update without pictures. That's all I got...

1 in 7 or 8 Hawk, that's about what I have seen. nobody cares. it is nice to get a car guy on the line now and then.

Thas a drag the tech bung doesn't like His job Hawk,,,should take that to mangement Bro. But as previously posted by others, We All have Faith in YOU. You'll dial in.

Thas a drag the tech bung doesn't like His job Hawk,,,should take that to mangement Bro. But as previously posted by others, We All have Faith in YOU. You'll dial in.

Jimi, thanks for the vote of confidence. I am worried that I am running out of time. Of course, I knew I would have some challenges, and there might yet be more to come that haven't reared their ugly head yet. But now that a few are stacking up it is getting to be a challenge. My daughter is graduating high school, so there are events planned for that, and other family events going on too, so I have limited garage time.

OK. One step at a time...

- - - Updated - - -

1 in 7 or 8 Hawk, that's about what I have seen. nobody cares. it is nice to get a car guy on the line now and then.

'Ain't that the truth! And what a pleasure it is when you DO get one. Classic Air was awesome: A+. Hot Rod City, good as well. The rest, well... that's what FBBO is for!

Bud, i wont bore you with words that cant help you so ill just say this,,, YOU are not alone with this, you have found someone to help out and we, us "fellas" are behind you 100 %, I have no idea if we can help with this particular problem but it's a set back, not the end because we don't do that! Any thing you need Hawk, anything we can research or do please, lay it on us...
I am sorry your dealing with guys that should be in the ware house, Autozone comes to mind here! :)

Bud, i wont bore you with words that cant help you so ill just say this,,, YOU are not alone with this, you have found someone to help out and we, us "fellas" are behind you 100 %, I have no idea if we can help with this particular problem but it's a set back, not the end because we don't do that! Any thing you need Hawk, anything we can research or do please, lay it on us...
I am sorry your dealing with guys that should be in the ware house, Autozone comes to mind here! :)

Thanks! FBBO rocks, and you guys are why. I truly do appreciate both the knowledge and support for this project. To be honest, with all the stuff going on right now, it is starting to wear me down. But FBBO came through again with some great help and ideas, so I got my brake pedal height issue resolved today. See this thread if any of you are interested: http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?93386-Brake-Pedal-Height-Issues

Now, without my fuel pump, I will turn to some more interior work tomorrow. I need to get some of the seat belt items finished so I can finish up the back seat area of the car. It is also high time I can actually use my door handles, so maybe getting all the door internals installed might be a good thing too...

Hawk

Rock on Hawk - Things will fall in to place. Your trip is going to happen on time. This thread encourages so many others and on so many fronts - there's no way you don't accomplish the goal.

Once again you came through with a solution. I applaud your ingenuity, not to mention I have another post bookmarked for when I install my disc brake assembly.

I finished going through all the hassle of dropping my fuel tank, pulling the fuel pump and replacing it.

Crap! No change. This means it must be my fuel pressure regulator. Now is the time when I am regretting putting the pressure regulator where I did, and with the hardware that I used. I used a stainless nut and bolt, and the nut is now hidden under my dash AND under all the insulation too. This is where you live and learn - I should have used a simple sheet metal screw, but I outsmarted myself. :angry1:

I'll post some pictures of the fuel pump replacement tomorrow in case any are interested...

- - - Updated - - -

Once again you came through with a solution. I applaud your ingenuity, not to mention I have another post bookmarked for when I install my disc brake assembly.

Thanks, but as I posted above, I do not always have ingenuity! Well, we all live and learn...

Thanks Hawk for this thread. I have a 70 Dodge Charger R/T that I am planning to get running again after almost 30 years of being parked. I came to your thread because I am thinking of going with the FAST 2.0 system with Ign system, so I am very interested in what you are doing. You have me thinking about the Fast 1.0 system or something completely different... Now off to find your cruise thread...

I finished going through all the hassle of dropping my fuel tank, pulling the fuel pump and replacing it.

Crap! No change. This means it must be my fuel pressure regulator. Now is the time when I am regretting putting the pressure regulator where I did, and with the hardware that I used. I used a stainless nut and bolt, and the nut is now hidden under my dash AND under all the insulation too. This is where you live and learn - I should have used a simple sheet metal screw, but I outsmarted myself. :angry1:

I'll post some pictures of the fuel pump replacement tomorrow in case any are interested...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, but as I posted above, I do not always have ingenuity! Well, we all live and learn...

I really don't like sheet metal screws for holding things in place because they eventually get loose so where I needed a mounting hole I just fastened a 1/4" thick drilled and tapped piece of aluminum on the inside, I try to drill the hole that holds the plate in place under whatever is getting mounted. Works pretty nice

Running like it should!!!

OK ladies and gents, finally an update from me.

So to make a LONG story short, I finally solved my fuel pressure issue. It turns out it was a loose cable tie on the upper fuel pump hose IN the tank. Essentially, once pressure built up above 28 or 29 PSI, fuel started bleeding past the clamp and back into the tank. Of course, there was no way to see this since it was in the tank. Also, when I replaced the fuel pump I didn't look at the upper clamp. It never dawned on me that it might bleed fuel this way. Of course, it does seem retarded. Why have everything use AN type fittings and then have a crappy hose clamp holding the in tank pressured fuel line???

Here is a picture of the fuel pump assembly. You can see the small band clamps (which have now been replaced). By the way, mounting one of these guys back into the tank takes some finesse. The metal ring on the right hand side sits inside the tank and the screws thread through that. I used two long 14 gauge copper wires to pull it up tight through the fuel pump mounting holes so I could start the other four screws, then I pulled the wires out.
IMG_4824.jpg

I usually like to consider my troubleshooting skills to be pretty decent, but I have to give myself a "D" or worse on this one. It just never dawned on me that a leak like this could be an issue, but a lot of things didn't add up, although I kept trying different things.

Once again: CHECK THE SIMPLE STUFF FIRST - ALWAYS!

OK, so then I got the car started again. This time, I had a new timing light and it made all the difference. With this light I was able to set advance timing into the light to help me find out where the timing as at. My other timing light was acting wacky, and I am starting to think the light was giving me false signals. The new light worked well and I was able to set the FAST computer and timing to 20 BTDC. Once it had it referenced correctly, I was able to then set timing (currently set for 15* up to 35* @ 2800 RPM, with 5* extra idle advance), idle air settings, throttle position, etc. The car runs very smoothly now, even though the computer has not yet "learned" from driving. It looks like my unknown thermostat is a little bit cold, maybe a 170 or so, because I can't get the car to run hotter than that. I want to put a 180* or 190* into the car.

So the FAST system is now running like a champ. It turns out there were NO issues attributable to the FAST system.

I haven't yet been able to back the car out of the garage, because I have no front seat and no drive shaft. So I guess it is time to work on some of those!

Finally have some wind in my sails again!

Hawk

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Hawk for this thread. I have a 70 Dodge Charger R/T that I am planning to get running again after almost 30 years of being parked. I came to your thread because I am thinking of going with the FAST 2.0 system with Ign system, so I am very interested in what you are doing. You have me thinking about the Fast 1.0 system or something completely different... Now off to find your cruise thread...

So it looks like there were NO issues with the FAST system - just me! :grin:

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't like sheet metal screws for holding things in place because they eventually get loose so where I needed a mounting hole I just fastened a 1/4" thick drilled and tapped piece of aluminum on the inside, I try to drill the hole that holds the plate in place under whatever is getting mounted. Works pretty nice

That's a great idea. NOW you tell me!!! (smile). I never did remove the regulator, so it is still held on with stainless screws and nuts. It is a pretty reliable piece - it really only has a spring and a diaphragm in it, so there is not much to go wrong with it...

awesome news Hawk!!!!........ I had similar issues with my water well this week...... I may start a thread!

You need to use these clamps.
RNB-55172_OW_xl.jpg
The old school clamps don't clamp good enough for the higher pressure.

Auto Transport Service
Back