• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hawk-Rod: The Restoration

It's late and I still have much to do, so sorry, no pictures until after Carlisle. I will still try to make it to Carlisle, but the car will certainly be a "work in progress".

I did get the new wheels on and I really like them. Also, with the help of a friend, we did the front end alignment. I'm sure it's not perfect, but it looks pretty close. It should be good enough to get to Carlisle and back. So now I need to tend to a few other safety checks, bring tools and other stuff, and see if I can't get there. Likely it will be late morning rather than early morning, but I'm gonna try!

Have a good trip and enjoy the fruits of your labor....! As they say " smell the roses"

Now you have to come.... NO PICS OF THE WHEELS! Hopefully you make it.

Glad we could meet up at Carlisle! Just wanted to say how impressed I was with your Bird, beautiful. The thing that really caught my eye was the attention to detail, everything looked brand new and super clean. Great job!

Glad we could meet up at Carlisle! Just wanted to say how impressed I was with your Bird, beautiful. The thing that really caught my eye was the attention to detail, everything looked brand new and super clean. Great job!

Thanks Devin... truly. That's high praise coming from a guy as talented as you. I truly appreciate it! Hopefully soon it will be done and reliable and ready for the trip!

Hawk

So I know these pictures are on another thread, but here is the car at Carlisle:
IMG_4994.jpg

IMG_4995.jpg

IMG_4997.jpg

This is hardly a great picture, especially with some guy's a$$ in the way, but I think the reflection of my car off of the beautiful black 70 Road Runner is cool! By the way, this is a 30,000 mile original car - very cool, and a nice owner too!
IMG_5011.jpg

Now that the fun is over, I have about 6 weeks to finish the car before my trip across country. I need to fix the noisy computer tach input signal, get an alignment, charge the AC, and finish the interior, plus fix any other issues that may crop up.

Still a lot to do, so I better get busy! Plus, when all that is done, I need to get the car back to Mark so he can clean up a few body issues that I caused...

X2 Hawk . . . loved your car and all the awesome work that you've done to it so far - It's going to be even better when you get the last of the pieces installed - wait - do we EVER get them all installed ? ?

X2 Hawk . . . loved your car and all the awesome work that you've done to it so far - It's going to be even better when you get the last of the pieces installed - wait - do we EVER get them all installed ? ?

Thanks Larry! LOL, I'm not sure the cars are ever "done", but in my case I think I should at least install some door panels!

Looking forward to seeing your 'vert next year!

The pics look great Hawk. Sorry I wasn't there to see it in person... Carlisle next year is my goal.

OK, the afterglow of Carlisle is done, and the reality of me needing to leave in 6 weeks for the trip is back. I worked on two key things this weekend:

1) I drove up to Passon, bought and installed an overdrive transmission. I spoke to Jamie at Carlisle, and he felt bad about the delays with his 5 speed OD and the issues that is causing me. He offered to build me a 4 speed OD for a great deal, so I jumped on it. Unlike a later 4 speed OD, this unit is a steel case and has the same strength as my original trans. Gear ratios are:
1st - 3.09
2nd - 1.67
3rd - 1.0
4th - 0.73

The transmission is exactly the same as my original transmission - a direct bolt in swap, so no driveshaft changes, floor changes, etc. Here is a shot of the new transmission with my car's original behind it.
IMG_5033.jpg

Here is the transmission with the shifter mounted. Note that the 3-4 linkage mounts differently. In regular cases, all the mounting tabs are mounted in the up position. In this case, the 3-4 tab mounts in the down position. This is because what is normally 4th gear is 1:1. To make a 4 speed overdrive, they change the 3rd gear to become an overdrive. So this means you need to switch 3rd and 4th gears. Swapping the tab to the lower position does just that. Quite easy...
IMG_5035.jpg

I also installed a new more comfortable clutch, since my old clutch needed a gorilla left leg to disengage it. That might be fine for drag racing or short trips, but it would suck to drive across country. I installed a McLeod Street Pro clutch assembly that also was sourced from Passon.

I have now had the car out for a brief test drive, and I am very happy with the clutch and transmission. Yes, you need to stay in each gear a bit longer on normal acceleration, but that is a small price to pay for a nice low RPM on the highway. The clutch feels great too.

2) The second thing I did was work on my computer issues. It was not learning and when I went to Carlisle I saw that the computer thought the tach was bouncing up and down by almost 400 RPM at highway speeds. So I got home and I cleaned up my passenger valve cover area. The first issue I had was that my #8 spark plug wire was routed right next to the distributor wiring. I routed that so it ran with #2,4 & 6. Then I wrapped the distributor wires in foil to help with electrical noise:
IMG_5012.jpg

Then, to ground out the foil and give the electrical noise somewhere to go, I made a wire that I wrapped in with the foil. There is no picture of this, but I wrapped this up and then bolted it to the voltage regulator screw.
IMG_5014.jpg

The good news is this worked and it cleaned up my noise tach signal - it is now nice and solid, so I think I got that problem licked. The bad news is the ^%$#@! computer is STILL not learning on its own. It is still getting error signals so there is something else it doesn't like. I am happy with this fuel injection system as a whole and it seems decent, but man getting it running well is a bitch!

Sweet.................... That .73 OD is perfect for 3:55s and makes for a great cruiser, congrats. I also went with McLeod and so far I'm really happy, they just keep getting smoother as they break in. What's the wait on the 5 speeds now, I've got a buddy that's thinking about one?

Sorry to hear about the tuning issues, you've got more patience than me. I like the idea of fuel injection but can't put a screwdriver or wrench to it so it's over my head haha..... maybe someday?

That's pretty cool hawk, I have a spare 18 spline unit I was thinking of converting to overdrive with Jamie's kit.... Maybe someday.
That first gear you posted sound kinda low though.

Sweet.................... That .73 OD is perfect for 3:55s and makes for a great cruiser, congrats. I also went with McLeod and so far I'm really happy, they just keep getting smoother as they break in. What's the wait on the 5 speeds now, I've got a buddy that's thinking about one?

Sorry to hear about the tuning issues, you've got more patience than me. I like the idea of fuel injection but can't put a screwdriver or wrench to it so it's over my head haha..... maybe someday?

I am not sure what the wait is for the Passion 855 5 speed. In talking to Jamie, he was really pissed at his suppliers. He wants all American made parts, but he said the main shafts he got from a supplier (Maybe Tennessee? doesn't really matter) were all junk. He said they were unusable. I think if he can get the supply issues worked out he can start cranking them out...

Now the part about you saying something like fuel injection over you head: :BSMeter:

Seriously, if I don't get this figured out soon I'll call YOU down here to help! (smile)

- - - Updated - - -

That's pretty cool hawk, I have a spare 18 spline unit I was thinking of converting to overdrive with Jamie's kit.... Maybe someday.
That first gear you posted sound kinda low though.

Yeah, I thought that too, since typically first gear is 2.55 or 2.56. So I was a bit worried how it would all work. With the low first gear, the car really gets moving easily. The issue is the spread between first and second. You either have to rev first a bit higher, or go into second a bit lower. It actually drove fine.

A good drag racing tranny? No way. But to have a decent driving car across country and still have some zing in first gear? I think it will work fine... :thumbsup:

Note that Jamie's kit for the Hemi 4 speed overdrive does NOT use a 3.09 first gear - it is 2.55 or 2.56. My tranny is an 23 spline version. It is not stout like the 18 spline, but not weak like the original Chrysler 4 speed overdrives. It should be about as strong as my original stock 23 spline trans...

So it has been a while since I added to my restoration thread. The FAST computer issue was a pain, but that is finally behind me. See link in the previous post if you want details on that issue and its final resolution.

I was able to remove this mess and hide it again under the dash with the properly working ECU. Now the car looks clean again under the hood...
IMG_5040.jpg

I have since only driven the car a little, but it is already rapidly learning and running better all the time. The computer is doing its job!

Today I just got back from the garage and finally got the Classic Air A/C system charged. Everything worked immediately, there was no pain, no fuss, and no issues with the Classic Air system. The only issue I had was that my belt squealed due to my hidden low mount compressor. That was solved by a shim to better align the compressor with the water pump and crank, and then I was good to go.

The car has ice cold air, and it runs fine with the compressor on (there is a wire from the A/C switch that tells the computer the A/C is on). So at least in the first few hours of having my Classic Air System running, I am very happy. Also, as I have said before, I had a very good experience when talking with a Classic Air tech when I was designing and working on the system. So far, two thumbs up!

I also had the wheels professionally aligned. They did a nice job, and the car drives nice a straight! Another item off of the list!
IMG_5051.jpg

Your coming right along Hawk! I wont even mention the air to my wife, the last time we were out it was only 90 and she told me if i want her to ride with me in the 73 i have to get air in it, ummm, That sounds like a marital threat that can work to a man's benefit hee hee :)

Your coming right along Hawk! I wont even mention the air to my wife, the last time we were out it was only 90 and she told me if i want her to ride with me in the 73 i have to get air in it, ummm, That sounds like a marital threat that can work to a man's benefit hee hee :)

LOL, that can work both for and against you! I like the blame my addition of A/C on my wife, but I have to be honest and state that I wanted it for the drive across country. Could I survive for hours in the car, day after day, without A/C? Sure, but do I want to? Nah...

LOL, that can work both for and against you! I like the blame my addition of A/C on my wife, but I have to be honest and state that I wanted it for the drive across country. Could I survive for hours in the car, day after day, without A/C? Sure, but do I want to? Nah...

I don't blame you at all, A/C has always been in my plans but keeps getting postponed. I mostly cruise with all the windows down but can think of several instances where I would have loved to have had it (this weekend at the Nats). Glad to hear it's working so well, enjoy!

You have done so well Hawk , the car looks fantastic, I loved the pics from Carlisle. You are going to have a ball driving across country next month.

Auto Transport Service
Back