• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HawkRod is doing the 2023 Hot Rod Power Tour!

Nice! What lake in TN(?) is that?
It's North Holston Lake. My picture is not a great shot, but it was really nice.

Nice Hawk. Horsepower seems about right for full exhaust. Torque seems a bit high, but nobody would argue with you if you took them for a ride:rofl:
As I said, I'm not sure that the torque reduction of 15% is correct to assume.

Regardless, what I was most impressed with was the dyno operator. I watched this guy run people on and off the dyno all week. He was a pretty no-nonsense kind of guy. When I ran, he was quite excited and vocal about the results. He said I was top 2 naturally aspirated guys all week, and he was super impressed with the broad, flat torque curve. He said it's one of the nicest classic car packages he has seen.
He even took time out to show me his leader board and I was 20th or 21st all week. Sure, there were turbo and supercharged cats that made more, but I was pretty happy with where I fell.

100% There were lots of casualties from sitting in very hot weather and crawling forward a foot at a time for an hour! This is definitely a TEST for how well your car cools.

We had a really nice drive today with tons of people lining the route and cheering the Power Tour cars on. I missed getting pictures of the big crowds, but here are a couple to get a feeling for the route.
View attachment 1480594

View attachment 1480595

View attachment 1480596

Today I decided to throw caution to the wind and I put my car on the chassis dyno.
View attachment 1480592

View attachment 1480593

This was as driven. No modifications whatsoever from normal driving.
It made 465 horsepower and 584 lb ft of torque. Dyno guy said you can assume 15% loss for a manual, and 20% for an automatic. That means I made about 547 horsepower. If torque follows the same formula (not sure here?) then I'm at about 697 lb foot of torque.

I know my throttle body is a bit too small in size, and I am running through a full size 2.5" exhaust with (fairly) quiet, full size mufflers. So I'm sure I am restricting the engine a bit here. I could chase a few more horsepower, but I'm happy with that. This is a cruiser with A/C, not a race car.

Best of all, i didn't tear out my driveshaft! :thumbsup:

Some fun stuff too:
View attachment 1480597
That is some respectable hp. What type of dyno was it?

It's North Holston Lake. My picture is not a great shot, but it was really nice.

As I said, I'm not sure that the torque reduction of 15% is correct to assume.

Regardless, what I was most impressed with was the dyno operator. I watched this guy run people on and off the dyno all week. He was a pretty no-nonsense kind of guy. When I ran, he was quite excited and vocal about the results. He said I was top 2 naturally aspirated guys all week, and he was super impressed with the broad, flat torque curve. He said it's one of the nicest classic car packages he has seen.
He even took time out to show me his leader board and I was 20th or 21st all week. Sure, there were turbo and supercharged cats that made more, but I was pretty happy with where I fell.
North Holston? I'm thinking you might have been by South Holston Lake (over by Bristol).
Not too far from us over here - we're about an hour and a half west.

Congrats on the dyno! Those are indeed quite impressive results. :thumbsup:

PXL_20230616_150921824~2.jpg
PXL_20230616_153408295~2.jpg
PXL_20230616_205511695.jpg
PXL_20230616_205206885.jpg
PXL_20230616_181409187.jpg

Couple of pics from today. Not every day you can just walk up on the banking at Bristol motor speedway. Pictures don't really do it justice, it is STEEP banking. I have come to some cup races here and it is exciting. My son and myself finally got to meet Derek from Vice Grip Garage, just a super nice guy.
I have to say there are a bunch of you tuber's that participate in this and all that I met were very approachable. I had a great time, will definitely do it again.

View attachment 1480680View attachment 1480681View attachment 1480682View attachment 1480683View attachment 1480684
Couple of pics from today. Not every day you can just walk up on the banking at Bristol motor speedway. Pictures don't really do it justice, it is STEEP banking. I have come to some cup races here and it is exciting. My son and myself finally got to meet Derek from Vice Grip Garage, just a super nice guy.
I have to say there are a bunch of you tuber's that participate in this and all that I met were very approachable. I had a great time, will definitely do it again.
Yeah it is. I know that track well and it used to be even MORE steep until they re-did it a few years ago.
Thanks for reporting in for those of us who can't be there!

Nice Hawk. Horsepower seems about right for full exhaust. Torque seems a bit high, but nobody would argue with you if you took them for a ride:rofl:
So I looked up some horsepower and torque conversions.
Horsepower is easy, as that is all over the internet. by calculation, I made 547 horsepower.

I did find a torque calculator to convert from a chassis to engine dyno. When I plugged into that calculator, it is estimating my torque is 675 lb ft.

I do think that on an engine dyno, without all my accessories, with large headers (mine are only 1 7/8"), and a large carburetor I would likely break 600 horsepower. I think this engine has it in it if it wasn't a bit restricted. But as I said before, it drives extremely well so I will likely not mess with it.

That is some respectable hp. What type of dyno was it?
I had to so some research because I did not ask him. From his website:
Dyno is a Dynocom 2WD 5000 Series Dynamometer. It can support FWD/RWD vehicles. The 5000 series is the world's best built 8.75 Inch cradle roll dynamometer. It is capable of supporting speeds up to 175+ MPH and 5000+ ft lbs of torque and its track width range is 36"-86".

North Holston? I'm thinking you might have been by South Holston Lake (over by Bristol).
Not too far from us over here - we're about an hour and a half west.

Congrats on the dyno! Those are indeed quite impressive results. :thumbsup:
Ed, you are correct that I messed up. My small phone made it hard to scroll around and I must have goofed up. It is actually Watauga Lake. Route 321 goes right beside it and it was a beautiful part of the ride!

I have now gotten home after an 8 hour drive. I discovered that my vent is still problematic and pisses out quite a bit of fuel whenever I fill it up. So I stopped doing that but threw out any mileage calculations I had made previously. Also, during the trip I had lots of time to keep tuning the Fuel Injection settings (and it was learning too). On the way home today I checked fuel economy. 539 miles with 31.9 gallons of gas used.
That's 16.9 MPG!!!

OK, let's assume I screwed up with my fuel gauge (I started and ended in the same spot, just a needle's width above half a tank). So If I used a gallon more then I still got 16.4 MPG. Regardless, I am super impressed. And, this averaging 75 MPH for the trip home.

Well, we can argue if my calculations are correct, if the dyno numbers are right, etc. Regardless, my car is now official:
20230617_154051.jpg

I'm super happy with the car, the trip and the friends I associated with on the trip! A great time for sure! :thumbsup: :drinks:

So I looked up some horsepower and torque conversions.
Horsepower is easy, as that is all over the internet. by calculation, I made 547 horsepower.

I did find a torque calculator to convert from a chassis to engine dyno. When I plugged into that calculator, it is estimating my torque is 675 lb ft.

I do think that on an engine dyno, without all my accessories, with large headers (mine are only 1 7/8"), and a large carburetor I would likely break 600 horsepower. I think this engine has it in it if it wasn't a bit restricted. But as I said before, it drives extremely well so I will likely not mess with it.

I had to so some research because I did not ask him. From his website:
Dyno is a Dynocom 2WD 5000 Series Dynamometer. It can support FWD/RWD vehicles. The 5000 series is the world's best built 8.75 Inch cradle roll dynamometer. It is capable of supporting speeds up to 175+ MPH and 5000+ ft lbs of torque and its track width range is 36"-86".

Ed, you are correct that I messed up. My small phone made it hard to scroll around and I must have goofed up. It is actually Watauga Lake. Route 321 goes right beside it and it was a beautiful part of the ride!

I have now gotten home after an 8 hour drive. I discovered that my vent is still problematic and pisses out quite a bit of fuel whenever I fill it up. So I stopped doing that but threw out any mileage calculations I had made previously. Also, during the trip I had lots of time to keep tuning the Fuel Injection settings (and it was learning too). On the way home today I checked fuel economy. 539 miles with 31.9 gallons of gas used.
That's 16.9 MPG!!!

OK, let's assume I screwed up with my fuel gauge (I started and ended in the same spot, just a needle's width above half a tank). So If I used a gallon more then I still got 16.4 MPG. Regardless, I am super impressed. And, this averaging 75 MPH for the trip home.

Well, we can argue if my calculations are correct, if the dyno numbers are right, etc. Regardless, my car is now official:
View attachment 1481034

I'm super happy with the car, the trip and the friends I associated with on the trip! A great time for sure! :thumbsup: :drinks:
applause.gif

Looks like an awesome trip. What a great experience.
And your performance and mpg figures make any gear head drool.

I agree with you on that !
Hmmmm. Let's see...
1687040610640.png

2" primary tube headers, 3" exhaust, mufflers that flow better (or exhaust cutouts), bigger throttle body....

(It's sooooo tempting!) :p

now get some sleep, you have little time to pull it together for Carlisle...... :poke:

So what are we taking apart before Carlisle? LoL see you there and everyone else.
Need to get a few more FBBO members to get in power tour next year. We don't have to ride nose to tail, just good to know there are friends nearby.
Hawk thanks for letting me tag along on your coat tails. You Barry and Matt are great road trip companions.

Made it home Sunday June 18, I have family near Bristol so I stayed Saturday. Glad to be home car did excellent. 1 quart of oil. Still the only tool use was hammer for tent stakes.

So I got my emailed dyno results. here they are.

Note these are as driven. My air cleaner, full exhaust and all accessories in place - so zero changes from the way the car actually runs on the street.
Chassis_Dyno_June2023.jpg

Notice that 3 of the pulls (first three) had a dip right after 4000 RPM. This was my max timing which was at 39 degrees total. He suggested I pull 2 degrees out, which I did. The resulting pull (light blue) did not have that dip. He suggested I take another couple out to see what happens, so I did and got the yellow pull where horsepower dropped by 10. He said that validated that the 37 degrees was what my engine wanted. We set my timing back to 37 and did the final pull, which was essentially the same as the fourth.

I'd love to experiment some on a dyno in the future, for example trying different air filters, uncorking the exhaust, etc., just to see how the car would behave. Maybe someday I will...

So I got my emailed dyno results. here they are.

Note these are as driven. My air cleaner, full exhaust and all accessories in place - so zero changes from the way the car actually runs on the street.
View attachment 1481694

Notice that 3 of the pulls (first three) had a dip right after 4000 RPM. This was my max timing which was at 39 degrees total. He suggested I pull 2 degrees out, which I did. The resulting pull (light blue) did not have that dip. He suggested I take another couple out to see what happens, so I did and got the yellow pull where horsepower dropped by 10. He said that validated that the 37 degrees was what my engine wanted. We set my timing back to 37 and did the final pull, which was essentially the same as the fourth.

I'd love to experiment some on a dyno in the future, for example trying different air filters, uncorking the exhaust, etc., just to see how the car would behave. Maybe someday I will...
If only you knew someone with a dyno in their backyard. Hmmmmm.

Hawk......... next time down, you can take my 440 with you :lowdown:

Auto Transport Service
Back