• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HawkRod is doing the 2023 Hot Rod Power Tour!

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
In 2015 I drove my 1970 Road Runner 5,800 miles across country (one way, then shipped it back). In 2022, I drove my 1973 Road Runner over 11,000 miles across country, both ways. I had so much fun doing those trips - hopefully you all enjoyed following along as I posted pictures during our tours!

20210905_142406.jpg

I always said if the Hot Rod Power Tour did a route East of the Mississippi I would sign up for it. Well, guess what? It is East of the Mississippi this year so I signed up to be a "Long Hauler", which means I will drive the entire tour. At the Power Tour there will be lots of nice cars, so I will need to break out the best and take my 1970 Limelight Road Runner for this trip.

Of course, the name is the Hot Rod Power Tour. My 1970 is sporting the "born with" stock 383 engine with 92,000 miles on it. It runs well, but is a bit tired. It simply WON'T do for the Power Tour!

A couple of years ago I bought a 500 cubic inch stroker based on a 400 block. This engine was originally built by our own @qkcuda but sold by the guy who bought his Barracuda. I put this stroker into my car for a short time, but decided to pull it to check tolerances, etc.

In this thread I will prep my 1970 Road Runner for the Power tour (mostly build the engine back up again), and then I will post pictures during our trip to this same thread (rather than separate the threads as before). Hope you all enjoy following along the "journey"!

(Mods: If this needs to move to a different forum please feel free to do so)

Well, I for one am following, Hawk. I want to see what those ultra short piston skirts look like now. I don't know if I mentioned it to you before, but the bearing clearances were originally set on the loose side, and I always used 20W50 oil because of that. Here's what it looked like when I originally put it together.

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

Great pictures of when the engine was originally built!

By the way, this engine put out 550HP with cast iron heads on the dyno. Aluminum heads were later added which, according to my father-in-law, should be good for 50-80 HP. So let's call this a 600HP engine, give or take.

Here is what it looked like when it was installed in my car:
20200516_161352.jpg

I previously pulled the engine apart. I don't have lots of pictures of that, but follow along as I put it back together. Essentially, everything will be checked and then put back together with only a few minor changes to the package.

Next posts will cover the rebuild. Again, I get a great 'family' price at my father-in-law's speed shop. This also means I am at the end of the line too! So please be patient with updates!

In 2015 I drove my 1970 Road Runner 5,800 miles across country (one way, then shipped it back). In 2022, I drove my 1973 Road Runner over 11,000 miles across country, both ways. I had so much fun doing those trips - hopefully you all enjoyed following along as I posted pictures during our tours!

View attachment 1415370

I always said if the Hot Rod Power Tour did a route East of the Mississippi I would sign up for it. Well, guess what? It is East of the Mississippi this year so I signed up to be a "Long Hauler", which means I will drive the entire tour. At the Power Tour there will be lots of nice cars, so I will need to break out the best and take my 1970 Limelight Road Runner for this trip.

Of course, the name is the Hot Rod Power Tour. My 1970 is sporting the "born with" stock 383 engine with 92,000 miles on it. It runs well, but is a bit tired. It simply WON'T do for the Power Tour!

A couple of years ago I bought a 500 cubic inch stroker based on a 400 block. This engine was originally built by our own @qkcuda but sold by the guy who bought his Barracuda. I put this stroker into my car for a short time, but decided to pull it to check tolerances, etc.

In this thread I will prep my 1970 Road Runner for the Power tour (mostly build the engine back up again), and then I will post pictures during our trip to this same thread (rather than separate the threads as before). Hope you all enjoy following along the "journey"!

(Mods: If this needs to move to a different forum please feel free to do so)
You always tell a great story and post great pictures.

As with my "RoadKill" 73 stroker motor build, the block is the foundation of the engine, and the mains are critical to engine longevity.

You want to measure both the size and taper of the mains. Below is a picture of my block with the tool that measures bore size down to .0001".
20230207_173423.jpg

Here is a rough picture while measuring one of the mains. It is a bit hard to take a picture while doing this, as even a tiny movement of your hand make the needle move a lot! Bore is measured on both sides of the oiling hole.
20230207_174054.jpg

The good news is I do not need to align bore this block. All bores were on the tight side of the spec (that's great). Two bores had .0001" taper, one had .0002" taper, and two bores had .0003" taper.
.0003" taper isn't perfect, but that's still OK. I may try to just touch these and see if I can improve them, but even if I run them with .0003" taper that should be fine.

I am finishing up building a 302 for a Camaro Z28. Hopefully this will be pretty much done next week so I can devote more time to my engine build. I know, it's a Chevy, but it still looks cool with the very rare cross ram manifold!
20230209_143149.jpg

Next thing to check is how square my block is. Hopefully I can get to that next week...

If you expand Hawk's first pic you will see that it is a 230 thick main web block.

YOU are a glutton for punishment. I’ll certainly follow along.

Nice! Doing the HRPT long haul too! I can’t divulge what I’m driving on this forum for fear of being shamed. Nice cross ram DZ BTW.
:rolleyes:

YOU are a glutton for punishment. I’ll certainly follow along.
Guilty as charged sir! :bananaweed:

Nice! Doing the HRPT long haul too! I can’t divulge what I’m driving on this forum for fear of being shamed. Nice cross ram DZ BTW.
:rolleyes:
Awesome - hope to see you on the road with whatever you are driving!

(Hmmm. could it be a 69 350CI 300HP engine? :poke: I have one of those in a 69 Corvette I am working on right now...)

Awesome - hope to see you on the road with whatever you are driving!

(Hmmm. could it be a 69 350CI 300HP engine? :poke: I have one of those in a 69 Corvette I am working on right now...)
No. It’s worse than that, not taking the 69 but it’s a Chevy. I’m going solo and I want to enjoy the experience and not stress out about breaking down and figuring out how to get moving again on my own. I’m picturing trying to get an Uber in BF NC to and from a parts store. I’m chicken and I’m sure I’ll get **** about not driving an old car. I’ll give you a hint, its the 2014/15 version of the car that DZ goes in. Were going to start the trip on Sunday and not sure if I’ll end up in Atlanta that night or somewhere in SC. Everything else is booked. I’m sure our travel south will be the same south of Baltimore.

Good Luck Hawk ! I wish I was able to get away like you do. Enjoy the "Ride" !!!

As with my "RoadKill" 73 stroker motor build, the block is the foundation of the engine, and the mains are critical to engine longevity.

You want to measure both the size and taper of the mains. Below is a picture of my block with the tool that measures bore size down to .0001".
View attachment 1415427

Here is a rough picture while measuring one of the mains. It is a bit hard to take a picture while doing this, as even a tiny movement of your hand make the needle move a lot! Bore is measured on both sides of the oiling hole.
View attachment 1415428

The good news is I do not need to align bore this block. All bores were on the tight side of the spec (that's great). Two bores had .0001" taper, one had .0002" taper, and two bores had .0003" taper.
.0003" taper isn't perfect, but that's still OK. I may try to just touch these and see if I can improve them, but even if I run them with .0003" taper that should be fine.

I am finishing up building a 302 for a Camaro Z28. Hopefully this will be pretty much done next week so I can devote more time to my engine build. I know, it's a Chevy, but it still looks cool with the very rare cross ram manifold!
View attachment 1415429

Next thing to check is how square my block is. Hopefully I can get to that next week...
I have the exact same dial bore gauge with the setting fixture, I have the shorter one for rods and bores with its setting fixture as well. That is one pricey gauge, especially with the fixture.
I'll be near Pittsburgh Monday night.

I'll be watching :thumbsup:

BTW, how's the tires on the RR? :poke:
Why would you ask about my tires???

20220511_143257.jpg

Oh, yeah, that's why:
20220511_143315.jpg

The tires on the 70 are 7 years old. I would say they should make it, but that's what I said about the tires on the 73... :poke:

No. It’s worse than that, not taking the 69 but it’s a Chevy. I’m going solo and I want to enjoy the experience and not stress out about breaking down and figuring out how to get moving again on my own. I’m picturing trying to get an Uber in BF NC to and from a parts store. I’m chicken and I’m sure I’ll get **** about not driving an old car. I’ll give you a hint, its the 2014/15 version of the car that DZ goes in. Were going to start the trip on Sunday and not sure if I’ll end up in Atlanta that night or somewhere in SC. Everything else is booked. I’m sure our travel south will be the same south of Baltimore.
I understand about breakdowns on the road - I've had a few and they are no fun.
Don't let anyone give you **** for nothin - you're out driving the Power Tour and having fun. That's what counts.

I have the exact same dial bore gauge with the setting fixture, I have the shorter one for rods and bores with its setting fixture as well. That is one pricey gauge, especially with the fixture.
I'll be near Pittsburgh Monday night.
Yeah, Sunnen doesn't make cheap stuff. But it works extremely well - my father-in-law insists that all gauges get treated like they are Tiffany works of art. But that makes sense - it keeps them accurate and working well.

The only time I was around the Power Tour was several years back they were in Newton Iowa over night.
Wife and I drove the 67 over and cruised until late that night.
Had a blast with just that little bit of power tour.
Hawk have fun and keep the pics coming.
You allways post some great threads.

stock 383 engine with 92,000 miles on it. It runs well, but is a bit tired. It simply WON'T do for the Power Tour!
Come on man, you expect us to believe that?
We all know your just trying to convince yourself that you need another project with a deadline.

Good Luck I hope you have a noneventful (as to the car) trip

have fun I will follow

Auto Transport Service
Back