• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Removal Question

robw13

Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm gonna remove the Heads on my 5.9 360 la small bk and wanted to know what I should use to clean the block whike their off? The intake has to come off right?

No offense... but you may wanna consult a Haynes or Chilton's service manual before you undertake this project.

Once you get the heads off, clean rags sprayed with brake cleaner work well to remove grease and oil.

I've got one at home, just curious bout gettin the grime off the block safely.

Just a little 'heads' up...

Good chance you'll run into some carbon on the head surfaces.

Quick story, one of my so-called bosses had a sport car, with a small V8 in it. Blew a head gasket, so pulled both heads to change 'em. The in shop 'mechanic' had to scrape carbon off the head gasket surfaces. Tried to tell 'em, but...not careful enough. Some of the carbon kissed up with some of the piston rings.

They could not figure out why, after a weeks running, smoking and running like crap...and after re-pulling the heads, half the cylinders were badly scored!

Ok, I see where you're going with this, robw13. Best bet is to clean off the heads and intake, especially those areas around where the heads and intake come together before tearing anything apart. A pressure washer is your friend here. Just cover all the electrical connections and bag up your carburetor before dropping your coin in the slot. Dry everything thoroughly before teardown.

K thanks, got slot cleaned. What's a good way to remove the carbon build-up on the pistons and in the combustion chamber while the heads are off?
The block is still in the car, and the pistons have a fair amount of black on them.

No...for a short answer. Not any that I'd recommend.

If it is carbon, that stuff is just like rock. One small chip of it gets into the gap between piston and cylinder wall, and stays there, will score that stuff.

Is it that bad?

Cyl 4 is pretty black, the rest arent too bad. Didn't know if I should leave it alone since its in the car still. Would any Fuel Cleaner help when running clean gas to it, mind you the gas tank is off and running gas from a jug to fuel pump.

robw13...hard to say, without being able to look at it.

As far as any 'cleaner' that would work on carbon, don't think so. Has to be scraped, blasted, or the like, to remove it. And you'd be taking the chance of getting some of it, onto your rings. That would be a risk.

If #4 is the worst one, might spend some time looking things over, including the head. For 'whatever reason' that cylinder is firing a little off, that causing it to carbon up. Sticking valve, wore spring, weak spark plug...the list goes on.
If you get that little issue fixed, slap it all back together, and all 8 firing within reason, that carbon will get 'burned' off, and out your pipes.

Be sure to do a good compression check, on all cylinders, to look for any problems.

Already sent the Heads off to the shop for an overhaul. Only leak that I had looked to be fron thr rear core plug on the pass side. Any trick to gettin the drivers side Manifold off?

Auto Transport Service
Back