• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header bolt #2 cyl - WTH !

Tori

Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
What's the deal with this bolt ? I've seen some hard to get to header bolts in the past, but this is ridiculous !
FullSizeRender(2).jpg

Gasket is of course blown out here because you simply cannot tighten the bolt. What kind of witchcraft do i need to get this bolt tight ? The bolt will not come out of the hole, and cant get it more than "snug" before the wrench start to be pushed off by it's own shape as it touches the tube.

What are my options ?

id say a custom ground down ring spanner is needed , as for getting it out probably have to remove all bolts and remove it with the headers as a unit . once you get it off some more " clearancing " might be in order :lol:

I already got the header off, but would like to do something with that fastener. Something with a smaller head. I guess i could cut it to get it out, then find something more "wrench friendly" Maybe a socket head.... Hmmmm.....

There really is ZERO room for anything to go around it.

yeah, i was just thinking about trying the Allen. (that's called a socket head) by cutting the Allen wrench down i just might be able to get it into the socket head. The tube covers the end of the bolt though, so that might not be possible. I'll give it a go maybe tomorrow...

I think id be applying heat and a hammer to get more clearance , what a f*cked design

You can get bolt kits anywhere with 12-point reduced size heads 3/8" or prob even 5/16" and replace all at once with new soft copper gaskets so they won't blow out.

yeah, i was just thinking about trying the Allen. (that's called a socket head) by cutting the Allen wrench down i just might be able to get it into the socket head. The tube covers the end of the bolt though, so that might not be possible. I'll give it a go maybe tomorrow...

ball head allen wrench
11555-4809545.jpg

Welcome to SB Mopar header HELL.

Slot the flange, but then you have to pull the interfering studs.

There's really no good way.

Pull the plug and patiently take 1/16 turn, flip the wrench and take 1/16 more, repeat.

I don't think you will get enough clearance with allen or even a smaller head, although a smaller head might get you 1/10 turn vs 1/16.

One of my least favorite things about the Mopar SB.

You'd have thought by now, someone would have come up with a better design.

Dougs 2" aren't much better. That bolt goes in first so you have the gap to start it. I used studs at the ends to help hold the header in place. Fraction of a turn from above the header, fraction of a turn from under the header, flipping the wrench as you go. Retighten after a couple of heat cycles. SIUBC!
20170620_084811.jpg

1. I've had bad luck stripping torx head bolts (the male "socket" mainly).
2. The Allen head (or "socket head" as you call it) with a cut-down allen wrench may work.
3. I've had pretty good luck with hardened, 3/8" 12-point header bolts like cryplydog mentioned. They look too small not to strip, but they've worked fine for me.
4. polywideblock's ball head allen wrench idea looks interesting, but I'm not sure if you can clear that header primary tube.

That certainly looks like a "captured bolt" that may have come with the headers. On my big block I do have a particular order that the nuts on studs & header bolts (I have a combination) have to come off or you can't get the headers off. PIA for sure.

Thinking out of the box.... can you get at that bolt from UNDERNEATH the engine? Also, some of those newer box-end wrenches with the built in ratchet might help. I don't know what a "ring spanner" is that polywideblock mentions, but a custom ground down (for clearance) wrench may be useful. I have a half dozen custom ground tools in my box for weird things like this I've run into over the years.

Last edited:
1. I've had bad luck stripping torx head bolts (the male "socket" mainly).
2. The Allen head (or "socket head" as you call it) with a cut-down allen wrench may work.
3. I've had pretty good luck with hardened, 3/8" 12-point header bolts like cryplydog mentioned. The look too small not to strip, but they've worked fine for me.
4. polywideblock's ball head allen wrench idea looks interesting, but I'm not sure if you can clear that header primary tube.

That certainly looks like a "captured bolt" that may have come with the headers. On my big block I do have a particular order that the nuts on studs & header bolts (I have a combination) have to come off or you can't get the headers off. PIA for sure.

Thinking out of the box.... can you get at that bolt from UNDERNEATH the engine? Also, some of those newer box-end wrenches with the built in ratchet might help. I don't know what a "ring spanner" is that polywideblock mentions, but a custom ground down (for clearance) wrench may be useful. I have a half dozen custom ground tools in my box for weird things like this I've run into over the years.
I think ring spanner is a box end wrench.

I like the idea of the studs in each end of the head. Will do that for sure, then i won't have to loose the coolant whenever i deal with header leaks.

There is NO room for a box end wrench at all. Ground down or not. A 12 pt header bolt won't work either as you cannot get a socket on the end of the bolt.

What i need is a flanged bolt with a 5/16" head. I'll make my own if i have to, which seems like the only way to go.

Thanks for the tips on which gaskets to buy.

Need a bolt like this. But all i've been able to find so far is 3/8" bolt diameter.

71MQKyXvKEL._SL1500_.jpg

I know on Sandersin headers you dont use a gasket, you use high temp rtv. I havent had a leak yet in over 2 years.
I was talking to a buddy of mine and he said he hasnt used header gaskets in 10+ yrs. He is a builder and so hes done quiet a few.

I like the idea of the studs in each end of the head. Will do that for sure, then i won't have to loose the coolant whenever i deal with header leaks.

There is NO room for a box end wrench at all. Ground down or not. A 12 pt header bolt won't work either as you cannot get a socket on the end of the bolt.

What i need is a flanged bolt with a 5/16" head. I'll make my own if i have to, which seems like the only way to go.

Thanks for the tips on which gaskets to buy.

Dang the tightness.... what about a little heat + an open end wrench from underneath? That's all I've got.

Dang the tightness.... what about a little heat + an open end wrench from underneath? That's all I've got.

That's not the problem. Quite the opposite actually. YOU CANNOT get this bolt tight. I've already removed it. I'm trying to FIX the problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back