• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers vs Manifolds: Direct Comparison at the Track

Sounds like you made some very smart choices and have a great combo
Gary Pavlovich is the poly guru and an extremely helpful guy. The combo is based on his advice, with the exception of the stroke. He usually recommends a 4" crank for approx 400 cu in although in an email a few years back he mentioned the
3.58" option as giving a better rod ratio so that's the route I took.

Last edited:
Gary Pavlovich is the poly guru and an extremely helpful guy. The combo is based on his advice, with the exception of the stroke. He usually recommends a 4" crank for approx 400 cu in although in an email a few back he mentioned the
3.58" option as giving a better rod ratio so that's the route I took.
I worked with Gary back in 2015 to build my motor. I was only a few hours away from him and the shop. Great guy. My poly is still running great. He sold me a spare 4bbl intake he had.

Nothing was changed except the headers (but I had to change the main jets on the 600 Holley from 66 to 68 as on the drive home from the header shop I had a lean miss until the engine warned up. I wasn't even sure if the 66 jets had been previously drilled as they looked identical in diameter to the 68 but the problem went away after I swapped them). No other changes at all.

Stock converter, BFG 245/60 rear tires. Same cam as was in the engine for the last 3 years or so, when the engine was still a 318 - it's a 264 Schneider solid lifter cam, 0.450" lift

The exhaust has been a dual 2.5" system for some years now, with Thrush glasspack mufflers for that old school sound.

All the changes I make I always try to do one at a time so I can see the effect. The amount I've spent over the years I could have easily started with a 440 and been going from 13 seconds to 12 to 11 etc but I always wanted to keep the poly as it's something different and see if it could be made to run well.

Obviously it's still very mild compared to all you guys with built big blocks - my goal was just a nice cruiser that starts and idles nicely, can go to the shops or the beach, but still has some power.
I always enjoy your input on this forum.
This thread is another great example of your contributions to the club here.

Aushwitz (2).jpg

Only thing better than a Poly is a....stroker Poly. Nice work!

Auto Transport Service
Back