• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlights go off when high beam switch is depressed ................

LongR

Local time
7:03 PM
Reaction score
Need help on 1966 Satellite

Headlights go off when high beam switch is depressed .....So I have no low beams nor high beams

Sounds like it needs a dimmer switch

Maybe a short in the high beam circuit if the low beams do come on. When you switch to high beams a short would kick open the circuit breaker in the light switch, so immediately going back to low beams would not work as the CB would have to cool down to complete the circuit.
Mike

Cycle the switch a few times. Make sure it's not hanging up on the rug or the grommet.

Those switches get old, contacts get old, they jam up, get rust & corrosion inside.

or two new headlamps
I tested both headlights/both good
I tested dimmer switch/good
Must be light switch....seems like a big job for hi beams that I'll probably never use.

Must be light switch....seems like a big job for hi beams that I'll probably never use.
Can’t get from under dash?

If you have low beams the headlight switch is doing its job. Get a volt meter and test light and actually diagnose the problem. Its a problem at the dimmer switch or the wire from there to the headlamp bulb.

How did you test the dimmer switch?

Had that happen on one of my Coronets. Bought a new dimmer switch at a local parts store. Quick cheap fix. Never bothered testing the old switch.

Auto Transport Service
Back