• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

heat shrink

bearman

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
anybody using heat shrink on the a/c fittings to help seal.

never tried that one

well just worked on a newer model ford and every fitting had heat shrink on it. talked to a rep told me that they are finding that the heat shrink is doing two things. first off tells the tech if a non dealer has messed with it and second makes the system seal prove from those tiny leaks you can never find until enough build up has happened. but by then you have lost most of the freon.

second makes the system seal prove from those tiny leaks you can never find until enough build up has happened.
Interesting. I would never have guessed that heat shrink would be a good pressure seal.

i thought the same thing.

the rep i talked to called it a heat shrink wrap so did some digging and still have not found the true name but i will. but in the meantime also found they are now making water hose clamps that you heat up and they shrink to size.

the rep i talked to called it a heat shrink wrap so did some digging and still have not found the true name but i will. but in the meantime also found they are now making water hose clamps that you heat up and they shrink to size.
On what fittings are you referring to? The AC system is already a "sealed unit". So if the flare fittings are not sealing, heat shrink is not REALLY the answer.
And the last thing that you should do is listen to FORD!!!

i agree with you on that but the truth is that trans air has been trying this out for a while now. i believe its more to do with warranty issues more than leak problem. just found it intresting

Water hose heat shrink is way thicker. It does work great.

i understand its thicker just finding it interesting that this high tech comes in so many different ways today.

Gates makes heat shrink tube for radiator hoses, something smaller would probably work on a/c fittings. It seems to hold pressure.
F214700656.png
rad%20t-filler%20shrink.jpg

I like to use heat shrink tubing on the ends of wire loom to dress it up.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back