• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater hose routing verification

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score
Are these heater hoses routed correctly - crossing over? I’ve seen more pictures of them running side by side than crossing over but this seems to me how the FSM calls for. My 67 has AC so it’s no help. Planning to refill tomorrow with antifreeze and want to make sure.

Well picture didn’t post - have to try again.

upload_2021-10-29_18-51-51.jpeg

Try and try again

The 69 service manual shows them crossing and that seems to be how most think they should be.

Very nice pic by the way :thumbsup:.

Looks good to me. Exactly like my black 67 Hemi GTX.

Mine dont cross.
I've done them both ways and I cant tell any difference in heater output

hemi-Day1.jpg

Thanks, I’m not sure it makes any real difference either. I read something about the correct helped flush air out of the heater core but??? I’ll leave it as is.

On the battery, no. I’m just trying for a decent detailed driver. I bought that series 27 battery from Interstate to replace the incorrect 24 that was in it. Thought about a topper but leaning away from it right now.

Think the routing is so hot coolant goes in the bottom of core and out the top.

That would seem to explain the comments on helping purge the heater core of air pockets. I lost track after reassembling the heater box with the rebuilt core, which was top and bottom tube.

I asked this exact question yesterday to another fellow Forum member and he also advised me that the crossover is correct. Just last week I installed my Hemi in my 67 Charger and yestedray I wanted to install my hoses and wasn't sure which was correct. I have them just laying in my bay until I got the confirmation. I guess it makes sense to cross the hoses as Fran has expalined it. Also, why are there two different brackets to hold the hoses? I actually bought both brackets: the one shown on my car and I bought the one shown on gtx6970 and AR67GTX car. Which one is correct for my year 67? Thank you.
Hemi installed in bay.jpg

I think (big question mark) that the one in your picture is primarily a 68 and later part but could have come out in 67. One problem is I’ve found there were a lot of detail differences between Plymouth and Dodge, so you may need to specifically try to check with some 67 Dodge Hemi R/T and Charger owners to be sure.

is your Voltage regulator mounted in the correct spot? I know my 66 and 67 cars are mounted higher on the firewall. I think I even see the empty upper hole above it?

I went back and looked through some reprints of old road tests of 66 & 67 Hemi Chargers and their pictures. Surprisingly, two of them didn’t have a heater hose support on the fender, but they may have been early production cars released for publicity and media testing. The third, a 67, did show a support and it appeared to be the type in the pictures of our 66 Satellites above. Looked to be black but the reprints of photos in those old magazines in B&W are not real clear.

Last edited:
My car has a dimple on inner fender above shock tower, no hole. Guy must've gone to pee. Picture from original owner. Note blurred picture Windshield washer hose no strap.
Hemi unhood.JPG
Hemi unhood1.JPG

Fran, maybe that was a running change after the Hemi was introduced although seem strange the dimple was put there before they decided to actually install a bracket. Or as you said, maybe an assembly line error or something phased in at different times at different plants.

My car scheduled 3/08/66.St. Louis plant assembled all convertibles.

Auto Transport Service
Back