• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hellcat Swap 71 Bbody

sogtx

Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
Ok
Got a couple immediate questions
I Got a new Crate Package With a Harness

Im Installing in a 71 Bbody - currently has a 6.1 with alterkation setup and A FAST 2.0 xfi system

Im assuming noone has used the FAST system for a HC swap ?

A) new crate Comes with a Flywheel and Clutch
Im running 855 5 speed
Is the supplied stuff scrap metal now ?

B) what bellhousing did you guys use ?

C) where did you mount i/c pump

D) wheres best source for i/c radiators , lines , etc
Are there 2 necessary?

E) currently my battery is in stock location in front driver side . Have most people moved battery to the trunk ? i woukd like to .

Who is the best vendor to supply the remainder of stuff needed.

Thanks in advance for any answers
Ive googled my nuts off -
Doesnt seem to be any step by step
project anyone has posted easily findable .
Just get stupid Graveyard Cars videos .

The poor black cat isnt gonna know what hit it when Im done .

IMG_9176.jpeg

Have you watched the car craft mini series on motor trend TV when they swap into a 73 Challenger? They don't have crate electronics, they use Holley, but it's worth watching

There is gen3 hemi swap facebook groups if you are on there. I haven't seen anyone use the Fast XFI for the hellcat. I'm not sure it has all the tuning tables you would need. The flywheel and clutch are worth about $800 to a manual hellcat owner that needs one. They are $1000+ new. The small block bellhousing should work. All gen3 hemis use small block bolt pattern. For the intercooler, plan on something like this HELLCAT Swap Cooling System (26" Mopar application) Don't forget the low profile crossover manifold on the back of the supercharger. The stock one will hit the firewall most likely. Most I have seen move battery to the trunk because that is right where the air intake sits.

I second the recommendation for using the Holley system (Terminator X max), huge amount of online support for them and Holley software is pretty easy to navigate not to mention there are a lot of videos out there.

Thanks for that link for that cooling system @MoparRobTX, just saved me a lot of time.

I’m putting a Red Eye I’m my Cuda with the HP90 transmission so I can’t help you with that part. I got my charge air cooler LTR and pump with all lines used on E-bay for a pretty fair price.

I have my battery on the passenger side on my 71 Roadrunner with the 6.4 swap. I used the Holley swap battery mount for the E body. Bolts on the same on B body. Mainly because it’s the perfect spot for the Mopar wire harness.

One question on the Terminator X Max setup. Does it have a fuel pressure control module with output for pulse width modulation signal like stock Hellcats? I know the Hellcrate engines have serious fuel demands. I personally am sticking with the Mopar Hellcat wiring harness.

RosevilleMoparts have always been helpful for me with parts. They actually answer the phone and know what they are talking about if you do call.

Thanks for that link for that cooling system @MoparRobTX, just saved me a lot of time.

I’m putting a Red Eye I’m my Cuda with the HP90 transmission so I can’t help you with that part. I got my charge air cooler LTR and pump with all lines used on E-bay for a pretty fair price.

I have my battery on the passenger side on my 71 Roadrunner with the 6.4 swap. I used the Holley swap battery mount for the E body. Bolts on the same on B body. Mainly because it’s the perfect spot for the Mopar wire harness.

One question on the Terminator X Max setup. Does it have a fuel pressure control module with output for pulse width modulation signal like stock Hellcats? I know the Hellcrate engines have serious fuel demands. I personally am sticking with the Mopar Hellcat wiring harness.

RosevilleMoparts have always been helpful for me with parts. They actually answer the phone and know what they are talking about if you do call.
How well does the battery mount work on a B-body? I have a relocation kit ready to go for the trunk, but I haven't installed it yet. I was planning on installing a relay box in that spot, but it looks like a really good spot for the battery as well.

Its coming Along
Not just slapping in in all this aluminum
Am hoping the all orange really outshines all
the other Hellcat swaps

IMG_1361.jpeg

IMG_1360.jpeg

For everyone swapping cat motors
This is not a weekend project
Lots of decisions, and internet searches

Purchased Schwartz lift brackets
Removed stock ex manifolds
Painted Engine —
Installed Holley Mid Sump Oil Pan
Requires New Cap studs / bolts torqued by angle of rotation
Removed stock HC clutch/ flywheel
Installed New Flywheel
Installed and dialed in Quick Time BH

IMG_2312.jpeg

IMG_2526.jpeg

IMG_2524.jpeg

IMG_2415.jpeg

Pulled 6.1 out of Car
Ditched the 6.1 fast efi stuff
All that tedious wiring down the toilet :(

Looked at Factory Hellcrate harness
Wondering how the F its gonna get installed neatly without pulling entire dash ..

The PCM in a hellcat is In the engine compartment,im not sure I can stretch those connectors that far to install into my dash

Extensions cost $800

New hot wire harness cost $1500 but 8 week lead time , so they said .

Researched radiator and pumps
I figured Id spend the extra $ and buy a Wizard Rad … Its proven and fits right out of box …

IMG_1834.jpeg

IMG_1265.jpeg

IMG_1132.jpeg

IMG_1057.png

IMG_0971.jpeg

IMG_0464.png

IMG_0397.jpeg

IMG_0372.jpeg

I hoped I could use some stuff off of my 6.1 to do pd delete , maybe reuse alternator or AC compressor—
Not a chance .

Spent a couple days wondering how much $ to send Bouchillon .
Purchase new compressor from Dealer
alternator , etc from Bouchillon

Every time I turned around , there was a new $1000 expense ..

By Mid February
All the long lead time items starting to arrive
Mcleod double disc clutch
Wizard Rad , etc

Of course wrong belt shipped from Bouchillon.

IMG_2988.png

IMG_2653.jpeg

Last edited:
Luckily I was preassembling everything at my office , and getting my ducks in a row before I brought a million pieces home and got more disorganized.

I finally got engine stuff together and loaded it up to go home for a test fit .

1st problem .
Radiator looks great
Looks kinda fat .
Im sure itll fit a long nose charger
Not so sure a Plymouth.

It dont fit.
3 phone calls to Wizard
One reply - spacer bushing the radiator closer to engine so intercooler and AC condenser might fit . wTF

I researched new intercoolers and condensers for a week .

I installed the engine onto my RMS kframe . That fit .

Set the car ontop of the kframe .
3 speed wiper motor interferes..
wtf - i verified the spacing between rad support and engine - There might be an inch to spare .

IMG_2756.jpeg

IMG_2752.jpeg

IMG_2743.jpeg

IMG_2742.jpeg

IMG_2776.jpeg

So I think Everything is downhill now
I start to install trans and one of the discs slips out of position .

Pull everything apart , too-cold to f around in shop so i get hoist into assembly room .
Reattached the lift slings
Got it all realigned everything retorqued -
And then Transmission wont bolt up to bh .

Look at input shaft on 855
Measured hellcat crank pilot hole
Asked everyone on FB if quicktime BH has discrepancies.. noone knows .

Measured 833 shaft
Looked at other drilled cranks .
Everything looked close +- .050

Pull trans out again and trimmed input shaft
Finally it slid in nicely.

Then I tried to put starter in .
It wont fit .

Hellcat swap on FB said all you need to do is trim/ grind a little bit ..
yeh right ..

Im still chewing on steel powder .

I looked at my oil filter and realized that with the hellcat oil cooler housing is touching the rack - crap.

Move two cars,
Get the engine lift back into heated area and lift the engine again.

Pulled the housing off the engine
Now I cannot cool the oil the stock way.

So I ordered a new nipple and guess i cant drive the car in Arizona for 6 hours straight.

Does Anyone have a recipe on how to do these swaps correctly the first time around ? Lol

IMG_2929.jpeg

IMG_2900.jpeg

IMG_2821.jpeg

IMG_2980.png

So . Its March
65 degrees , the yard is a mess from Winter
Were still supposed to have snow on ground. Wtf .
Ol Lady is cracking whip to do yardwork.
I knew this was goin to happen prematurely, ******* global warming .
People think Im weird - but I hope it snows til May so I can get car projects done.

Last weekend I could barely move on Sunday from raking leaves .

This past Saturday I raked my balls off and picked up every freaking stick in yard-
Got two huge burn piles goin .
Then my Neighbor come up to me and notifies me of a burn ban til June , lol .

The whole neighborhood was smoke .
No firemen showed .. phew .

Another winter project,i pulled the 855 out of my bee and installed straight cut 4 speed.
I left for 30 minutes with the bee to hit Napa on Saturday before they close at noon

Wife calls, where are you ? The smoke is crazy from burn pile .
Neighbor calls - says hey- its pretty smoky .

Could not even enjoy a 5 mile trip in bee to hear the crunching gears and listen to the six pack sing . But at least I got out .

IMG_3072.jpeg

IMG_3075.jpeg

IMG_2235.jpeg

So after busting my balks on making the yard look nice - forecast for next week
Snow Wind Cold —

I started looking at wizard rad trying to see if I can actually fit it .
This time I planned engine in place with main rad, fans , etc .

Researched conversion from 3 speed wiper to
2 speed , more fun .
Pulled wipe motor .

Mocked up intercooler and condenser
Looked for hardware to set it back towards engine compartment. It might work.
It might look goofey ,
But itll save me another $1000 bucks and a month of lead time .

Btw - the Hot Wire harness i ordered in Jan still out 4 weeks … it will likely not be plug /play ..

I set the engine in with tranny .
Pretty smooth.
Engine cleared 2 speedwiper motor
And I have 1 1/2 inches clearance between
Thermostat housing and fans .

So I researched billet thermostat housings for 2 hours .
What else will I need ????

IMG_3092.jpeg

IMG_3090.jpeg

IMG_3095.jpeg

IMG_3089.jpeg

IMG_3088.jpeg

Fyi
Wizard Rad guy did respond (after 3 weeks of correspondence)
Said he cant help or build anything else custom that might fit 71 bbody .
Be careful if planning to purchase - .Nice Rad , but customer support sucks - he got his $ though .

I spent the weekend setting the lizard rad back 3/4” not so happy with result
But it might work

IMG_3292.jpeg

IMG_3290.jpeg

How was this cooling system not fitting? Was the intercooler and AC condenser too thick and hitting something forward of the radiator support??

Yes the hood latch support gives me 3” from core support -
The wizard is almost 4”

Auto Transport Service
Back