• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help bleeding brakes

Coronet 14

Local time
7:02 AM
Reaction score
Bleeding brakes I get fluid out the rear wheel cylinders but I'm getting no fluid to the front calipers. What am I doing wrong Thanks to all that respond

Its been a while, but i believe it goes to a proportional block or valve ( brass square block ). You may have to break some lines to find out just how far your fluid is getting one line at a time right up to the caliper to eliminate the problem. I am sure if I am wrong here some one will set me straight. Be patient and let the site help you. Good luck

I have been using kroil for 15yrs to break the lines if there coming off hard. Totally swear by that stuff. Good for you for walking away. Pick some of that stuff up. As a nuclear mechanic ( always have that spray on hand ) we used tons of that spray. Flare nut wrench too is a plus. Youll get it.

I've got all new lines Master Cyl was sent out to br rebuilt. I'm getting no fluid out the rear Master Cyl Port

I got the Master cyl back off. On the Power Booster shaft there is a black sleeve that was inside the Master Cyl before I bolted it on car. It Is now stuck on the shaft even though I lubed it.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG

The black sleeve should not be used as that is used with a manual brake car so when you let go of the pedal, the rod doesn't pop out. Yours is a power brake setup, so the rod just pushes into the back of the master cylinder. The rod on the other side will have the same (or close to it) sleeve for the same purpose, Keeps the rod from pulling out. The master cylinder pushes the rod back into the power brake booster, so it does not need a retaining sleeve.

You could also have a valve shift in the proportioning valve. Not knowing your exact setup check the valve for a pin at the end and then insert this tool pictured or have a helper pull the pin out while bleeding in order to center the valve and allow fluid to flow to the front.Brake Bleeding Tool_J22742.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to bench bleed it again to see if fluid comes out the rear port. So I need to remove that plastic sleeve. It looks like I'm gonna have to cut that plastic sleeve off.

Last edited:
Well after bench bleeding the Master Cyl again I'm getting no fluid out the rear port. F*** Me

No fluid from rear port I emailed the Ram Man. Just waiting on a response. Maybe I messed something up and didn't realise it. That plastic piece is not stuck on the shaft It's inside the booster fingers.

Last edited:
JMHO, but that sleeve may prevent the rear piston from uncovering the intake port, so you won't get any fluid when the pedal is depressed.

In your last pic of the rear of the master cylinder, the piston looks too far inside. It should be back against the retaining clip. Maybe it's jammed too far forward? Did it return to the retaining clip when you bench bled?

No it's still part way in the bore like in picture. It will go foreward I just looked at pictures of Master Cyl before I got it rebuilt and the piston is against the snap ring. So you are right the piston is stuck. How do I get that plastic sleeve off the booster rod. It looks like it's behind the fingers of the booster. I tried to pull it off when my son pushed the brake pedal down it just won't move So the black sleeve was in the Master Cyl when I put it on the car that would have made the piston in master cyl further in than against the snapring. I need a Beer.

Got ahold of the Ram Man. Sending the Master Cyl back. I also sent pictures of the Booster with the piston retracted and extended showing the plastic sleeve. He said it was ok. I got more stuff to do on it anyways. Next week I will get new Torsion bars. Jegs has them on sale. Just hope the fit my 72 Coronet. I'm looking at the .96 Bars

Hopefully the new MC solves the problem.

I put .96 bars in my 69 and it was a noticeable difference.

Will got Master Cyl back. Took a while to Bench Bleed got fluid coming out both ports now. Yea It's on car and hooked up. Will bleed system this weekend. Hope all goes well Wish me luck

Auto Transport Service
Back